About the boo-ing against JDS post-fight

JoeWillett

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I don't know if this has been explained here yet since I'm not on here too often, but I saw a thread or two about this and figured it might as well get answered. While I didn't go to the fights, on another website I'm on somebody who was there explained about the crowd, here is what he said...

I think the booing definitely stemmed from the crazy emotions in the building. I don't know how it came off on tv but the Mexican fans and the Brazilian fans were dueling chants and yelling at each other all night long, the atmosphere was tense, and unfortunately it spilled over into the interview.

Hopefully this can clear up some of the confusion, this wasn't about JDS as a person, this was a Mexico vs. Brazil thing that went a little to far and hurt JDS in the process. Hopefully he has had this explained to him since then since I'm sure it hurt a ton to hear those boos after going a tough 5 rounds. I don't think it was right what the fans did, I'm not trying to excuse it, simply explain it so people don't go with the whole "Oh it's the stereotypical American Tapout jock that is drunk and pissed off."

As a person, JDS is a brazilian. The booing was racially charged. It was a direct attack on JDS and his home country. This is worse than Chael Sonnen's attack on Brazil.

Probably came from the people who lost money on him

the brazilian fans even booed Cain a bit when he was making his entrance!
boo booers all over that stadium lol

I liked the Cigano chant throughout the fight

So if a Mexican got boo'd in Brazil it'd be okay?

Make like the Japanese, shut the fuck up and applaud at the end. That's it.

Make like the Japanese, shut the fuck up and applaud at the end. That's it.

yes everyone must act like the Japanese. Who cares how much money you paid for tickets, voicing your opinion about a fight is a no no.

Btw anyone who watches boxing knows that Mexicans flock to Vegas for the big combat fights and they are constantly booing or trashing fighters opposing their favorite fighters.

How is that better? Instead of booing the man in a personal way, they are booing him in an impersonal way for being Brazilian.

I'd rather people boo me because they hate me, or how I fight, or any other number of things....than be booed because of some stupid shit like my race, which has nothing to do with anything in the history of anything ever(beyond a bunch of prejudice fuck-wits pretending like it somehow magically mattered).

yes everyone must act like the Japanese. Who cares how much money you paid for tickets, voicing your opinion about a fight is a no no.

Btw anyone who watches boxing knows that Mexicans flock to Vegas for the big combat fights and they are constantly booing or trashing fighters opposing their favorite fighters.

All about respect. Save your opinion for in-between fights. Go anywhere in the world (almost) and they'd tell you they think American tourists are the worst. "Americans are so OBNOXIOUS."

It's like at a concert people singing on top of the band's vocals. Shut the fuck up, I didn't pay to hear you sing.

Shut the fuck up, I didn't pay to hear your booing.

Still ignorant to boo while Rogan was interviewing JDS, he was just on the wrong end of a lopsided beatdown, give the man credit.

As a person, JDS is a brazilian. The booing was racially charged. It was a direct attack on JDS and his home country. This is worse than Chael Sonnen's attack on Brazil.

Don't think you know what race means but oh well.

Don't think you know what race means but oh well.

I take it you'd have preferred he used the word "ethnically"?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/race?s=t

1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
2. a population so related.
3. Anthropology .
a.
any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
b.
an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c.
a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.
4. a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock: the Slavic race.
5. any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race.

it was in bad taste that they booed no excuse for it.they both fought as hard as they could.now the leban fight....boo that one

I'm still highly offended and angry that they booed Joe Rogan.

I take it you'd have preferred he used the word "ethnically"?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/race?s=t

1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
2. a population so related.
3. Anthropology .
a.
any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
b.
an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c.
a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.
4. a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock: the Slavic race.
5. any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race.

The term 'race' is usually based on the similarity of physical traits within a certain group of humans (usually skin color). Brazil is not ethnically homogeneous (if anything, it's quite the opposite). So 'Brazilian' is not really a race nor an ethnicity either, it is a nationality.

Back