About the boo-ing against JDS post-fight

"Why r u doing dees, y!?" - Junior dos Santos

its what happens when people are drunk watching a fight

How is that better? Instead of booing the man in a personal way, they are booing him in an impersonal way for being Brazilian.

I'd rather people boo me because they hate me, or how I fight, or any other number of things....than be booed because of some stupid shit like my race, which has nothing to do with anything in the history of anything ever(beyond a bunch of prejudice fuck-wits pretending like it somehow magically mattered).

As I said in the post, not trying to excuse what happened, just explain it because it seems like most people here don't know what was actually happened.

The term 'race' is usually based on the similarity of physical traits within a certain group of humans (usually skin color). Brazil is not ethnically homogeneous (if anything, it's quite the opposite). So 'Brazilian' is not really a race nor an ethnicity either, it is a nationality.

Yep, alot of people dont know that Brazilians are Latino but NOT hispanic. They can be racially black or caucasian.

The term 'race' is usually based on the similarity of physical traits within a certain group of humans (usually skin color). Brazil is not ethnically homogeneous (if anything, it's quite the opposite). So 'Brazilian' is not really a race nor an ethnicity either, it is a nationality.

How do you quote a post that has the definitions of the word "Race" in it, and not see that it actually applies both ways?

I don't disagree that there are more appropriate words to use than "race", but as far as current/modern usage, and definitions of the word are concerned; it technically fits.

Thats how it works, the word colloquially became something that it wasn't originally intended to be.

*bolded the key word in your post btw.

who the fuck cares, geez. They are fighting! Not figure skating

How do you quote a post that has the definitions of the word "Race" in it, and not see that it actually applies both ways?

I don't disagree that there are more appropriate words to use than "race", but as far as current/modern usage, and definitions of the word are concerned; it technically fits.

Thats how it works, the word colloquially became something that it wasn't originally intended to be.

*bolded the key word in your post btw.

Yeah alot of people use the word race when they mean ethnicity and nationality, also according to the UN racism is not unique to race but ethnicity and nationality discrimination. Alot of people say Race alot when they mean Ethnicity and Nationality. Just like people say Latino and Hispanic for the same thing even though they are different.

Yeah alot of people use the word race when they mean ethnicity and nationality, also according to the UN racism is not unique to race but ethnicity and nationality discrimination. Alot of people say Race alot when they mean Ethnicity and Nationality. Just like people say Latino and Hispanic for the same thing even though they are different.

That is how language works; social use/acceptance forges out new definitions for old words, and occasionally makes old definitions obsolete. In this case, Race was so commonly used to (at the time, incorrectly) describe a group's nationality...that they actually added definitions allowing it to be a descriptor for cultural backgrounds.

No reason to boo JDS or any fighter that sacrifices his face to put on a show and not give up.

Came for the booing, left with a history lesson on definitions of racism. I love sherdog.

yes everyone must act like the Japanese. Who cares how much money you paid for tickets, voicing your opinion about a fight is a no no.

What the hell do ticket prices have to do with anything? lol

Like you'd only get to boo so much based on how much you paid? WTF?

I was thinking it was a mixture of
-mexicans
-pissed off JDS fans dissappointed in his horrible performance (because let's face it, besides heart and chin, he looked terrible, he barely even fought back. It was pretty embarrassing)
-pissed off MMA fans (I personally believe there's TWO types of fighters that deserve all the flack people can throw at them: Fighters that gas EARLY--unless explained by unbelievable pace--and fighters that didn't train hard enough--one reason i've always hated bj penn-- and thus I could see even non-jds fans being pissed off that he was gassed in the 1st round.. I mean come on...the 1st round, yes cain was pushing a pace on him but all jds was doing was backing away and pulling his foot out of weak single leg attempts)

All about respect. Save your opinion for in-between fights. Go anywhere in the world (almost) and they'd tell you they think American tourists are the worst. "Americans are so OBNOXIOUS."

It's like at a concert people singing on top of the band's vocals. Shut the fuck up, I didn't pay to hear you sing.

Shut the fuck up, I didn't pay to hear your booing.

and that stereotype about america is RETARDED; if anything MMA has proven that.

Why? Watch the shows that take place in the U.K. and Brazil. If anything, those two countries are WORSE than America, especially Brazil that piss on any fighter that's not brazilian, at least in america, a lot of non-american fighters get cheered all the time.
brazilians only seem to care about brazilians, and they do all these stupid fucking soccer'ish chants throughout the fight (U.K. and the rest of europe is pretty bad about that too---ooo-laaayyy, oooo-laaaay, oooo-layyyyy.. .the fuck is that shit?)

seriously, even in Canada, you can't really tell the difference between a canadian crowd and an american crowd.

In UFC 147 it didn't feel that there was a single person rooting for Franklin.

He beat Wandy in a fair fight and people applauded him in the end.

Why? Watch the shows that take place in the U.K. and Brazil. If anything, those two countries are WORSE than America, especially Brazil that piss on any fighter that's not brazilian, at least in america, a lot of non-american fighters get cheered all the time.
brazilians only seem to care about brazilians, and they do all these stupid fucking soccer'ish chants throughout the fight (U.K. and the rest of europe is pretty bad about that too---ooo-laaayyy, oooo-laaaay, oooo-layyyyy.. .the fuck is that shit?)

seriously, even in Canada, you can't really tell the difference between a canadian crowd and an american crowd.

i am aware of that but i'm talking about americans in this thread haha and I am pining for japanese etiquette when it comes to spectator sports

All about respect. Save your opinion for in-between fights. Go anywhere in the world (almost) and they'd tell you they think American tourists are the worst. "Americans are so OBNOXIOUS."

It's like at a concert people singing on top of the band's vocals. Shut the fuck up, I didn't pay to hear you sing.

Shut the fuck up, I didn't pay to hear your booing.

You want me to not sing at a concert? Fawk off.

yes everyone must act like the Japanese. Who cares how much money you paid for tickets, voicing your opinion about a fight is a no no.

Btw anyone who watches boxing knows that Mexicans flock to Vegas for the big combat fights and they are constantly booing or trashing fighters opposing their favorite fighters.

If you think it is constructive to voice your opinion by booing, you fit the ignorant murrica stereotype very well.

I'm brazilian and yes our crowd sucks, at least in Rio.
In Minas Gerais it was a lot better, they applauded Franklin after he beat Wanderlei, Brazil is a lot like the US, different states have completely different people.
I live in Rio and it's a very competitive place in terms of sports and very aggressive too.

Back