A weird thing about the Jiri fight

It seemed to me that stamina was the dictator of the fight. Rakic just couldn't handle the forward pressure and eventually crumbled after taking a couple decent shots. Jiri's mental toughness is a problem as well -- those leg kicks probably would've been much more effective on other opponents.

I saw it as power being the differential more than stamina.

Jiri walked him down the whole damn time wanting to corner Rakic in brawling range.

Rakic fought well from a technical kickboxing perspective until he started getting tagged. He was circling out well and landing his leg kicks and jabs for a while until Jiri finally cornered him and then the power difference became obvious. A few good hits and Rakic covered up and turned away, like ran with his back to Jiri.

I also thought the stoppage was really late. Rakic was done multiple times before it got stopped officially.

I saw it as power being the differential more than stamina.

Jiri walked him down the whole damn time wanting to corner Rakic in brawling range.

Rakic fought well from a technical kickboxing perspective until he started getting tagged. He was circling out well and landing his leg kicks and jabs for a while until Jiri finally cornered him and then the power difference became obvious. A few good hits and Rakic covered up and turned away, like ran with his back to Jiri.

I also thought the stoppage was really late. Rakic was done multiple times before it got stopped officially.
Very nice analysis -- this is why it's important to keep in mind that MMA striking is significantly different than technical kickboxing. There are subtle differences that enable fighters with inferior kickboxing abilities to shine. Rakic has undeniable power, and when he finally marched Rakic down, it was the beginning of the end.

The difference is jiri is actually a very skilled striker and Diego was just a brawler...

But Jiri forces a violent ugly fight with a very high risk style. To fight like that against powerful LHWs and have the success he's had is fucking insane.

he's as relentless with his pressure as merab, but instead of takedowns galore, he's throwing bombs in the pocket
gotta love it

Reactions: HHJ
There was a punching power differential between Jiri and Rakic. Jiri had little to no respect for Rakic's fists. He almost got buckled from those calf kicks but he knew it was a matter of time before he landed a bomb.

It is a blessing that we have Jiri in the sport

Jiri literally out willed him. Kept a pressure on him that melted Rakic.

I disagree that he's not a samurai. He embodies the code and training well.

The training and expectations would dictate a much more refined and disciplined execution of technique. Also, being a samurai, above all other things, means to devote oneself entirely to serving their liege lord. Not really applicable at all. Hey, I'm not hating on Jiri, and I know he's just cherry picking the superficial aspects which he thinks are cool, but he definitely doesn't "embody the code."

I’d honestly be more shocked if there was something “normal” about a Jiri fight.

see to me, Jiri is the better fighter. because when it became a fight, he won. Rakic is a better technician but that's it.

Samurai used to be about Zen: looking for perfection in every gesture.
the guy is more like a drunken berserk.

exciting to watch but impossible to hear him speaking, second hand embarassment is too much.

He might be the most aggressive fighter ive ever seen. I never seen a dude throw a wild ass uppercut and instead of resetting dude just keeps attacking hahahaha

you gotta be a homicidal maniac to do some shit like that.
I love the man for it.

• Love
Reactions: HHJ
Back