A Recreationnal Athlete Following Defranco

Rampage74

White Belt
Reaction score
A recreational athlete following DEFRANCO!!

Today April 24, Starting my log here on Sherdog.
Why ? Im a big MMA fan and im always here on the site reading post etc... And i think a lot of peoples are following Joe Defranco template for sports. So im following a workout based on Defranco template with some conditionning.

Quick intro, im a recreationnal athlete, 33 years old now and play hockey still twice a week during season and once a week in summer. I also like to stay in shape, following stats of what im lifting, i had a log on another BB site but im always here on Sherdog.

Few stats approx;

Best PR 1 rep max:

Bench 265x1
Deadlifts 315x1
Squat 315x1

Current weight 198 at 14% Bodyfat.

Best i been was 185 at 9% Bodyfat.(Best for the look)

Im going to post last week workout i have them on paper.

Feel free to comments!!

TUESDAY 15APR MAXUPPER

A-Bench
135x8
185x5
205x5
225x5
235x4

B-DB Press palms in
60x8
60x8
60x8

Super Set:
C1-Regular Bar Lat Pulldown 3x10
C2-Rear Delt Fly 3x10

Super Set:
D1-25lb Plate Front Raises 3x10
D2-Shoulder lat raise 3x10

Super Set:
E-GUN SHOW 3x10 (bis-tris)

CONDITIONNING (performed after weight session)

BARBELL COMPLEXES

4 ROUNDS OF RANDY COUTURE COMPLEXES

-bent over row
-upright row
-military press
-good morning
-lunges
-squat push press combo
-stiff legs deads

Notes; the complexes are hells of a finisher!!!

What weight do you use for the complex and what are the reps?

WED APRIL 16 MAXLOWER

A) Box Squat
135x10
225x5
275x5
295x5
315x4

B) Rack Pulls (first pin from floor)
135x8
225x5
275x5
315x3

C) Elevated Bulgerian Split Squats Holding One Dumbbell
25x10
25x10
25x10

D1) Weighted Swiss Balls Crunches(plates behind head)
25x12
25x12
25x12

D2) Side Bends
bwx12
bwx12
bwx12

E1) DB Shrugs
80x12
80x12
80x12

E2)Wrist curls
40x12
40x12
40x12

SAT APRIL 19 REPUPPER

A-DB Bench 3xMax
60x18
60x15
60x12

Super Set:
B1-Wide Gr. Seated Row
115x12
115x12
115x12
115x12

B2-Face Pulls
30x12
30x12
30x12
30x12

Super Set:
C1-25lb Plate Raise 3x10
C2-DB Military Press 3x10(25lb)
C3-Lateral SH raise 3x10(12.5lb)

Super set:
GUN SHOW
D1-Close grip bench 3x10 (135lb)
D2-Hammer Curls 3x12 (25lb)

That was it for last week,
Last week i was going for 5 rep max on main effort, this week i go for 3 rep max.
Next week 1 rep max.

April 23 wed, i played hockey and this was hell of a conditionning workout!!
So im starting my 2ndcycle today.

See workout will be post later.

THURSDAY APR25 MAXUPPER

A-Bench
135x8
185x5
205x5
225x3
245X2

B-DB Press palms in
60x8
60x8
60x8

Super Set:
C1-Regular Bar Lat Pulldown 3x10 (115LB)
C2-Rear Delt Fly 3x10 (10LB DB)

Super Set:

Super Set:
GUN SHOW 3x10 (bis-tris)
E1-Barbell Ez Curls(bar+50)
E2-Skulls Crushers(bar+50)

CONDITIONNING

Inspired by one of the conditonning challenge here what i did:

100 pushup
50 regular crunch
25 side crunch left
25 side cruch right
20 chinsup (fullextension)
1.5 km on threadmill at 1.5 incline

Notes;

I didnt feel very strong on the bench, but i think with a spotter i would have done 245 for 3 reps, didnt feel secure.

For conditionning i cant do full situp so i cannot do the official challenge, considering i played hockey yesterday im very happy with my performance. Im not a pro but i think its better than average!

If you are trying to lose/maintain weight why are you doing Westside for skinny bastards?

Why shouldn't he? He wants to lose bodyfat presumably, not muscle.

If you are trying to lose/maintain weight why are you doing Westside for skinny bastards?

Look at what Joe reply to a question on elitefts!!

7/10/2007 9:17:31 PM - Dan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Joe DeFranco

Hi Joe,

I just wanted to ask how you would manipulate the WS4SB template if someone's main priority was fat loss? ie. would you keep the 1 LB and 2 UB days and how would you work in cardio/energy system work?

Thanks
Dan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan,
First off, in my opinion, changing your diet needs to be your #1 PRIORITY if fat loss is your main goal. I say this because I have seen people lose fat on a powerlifting-type of routine, a bodybuilding-type of routine, high reps, low reps, circuit training, etc., etc. The point that I'm trying to make is that I have seen people drop bodyfat on every different workout known to mankind, but the one thing everyone must have in common when trying to drop bodyfat is a CLEAN DIET!

With that being said, there are MANY ways to manipulate your training program. Here's one example...

MONDAY - Max-effort Upper Body then high intensity "cardio". I would suggest weight training for 40 - 50 minutes then doing some high intensity "cardio" such as Prowler sprints, interval treadmill sprints or sprints outside with incomplete recovery, jump rope intervals, etc.

TUESDAY - Low intensity cardio - walking, riding a bike, etc. You can do some high rep abs on this day as well.

WEDNESDAY - Max-effort Lower Body strength

THURSDAY - Same as Tuesday

FRIDAY - Repetition Upper Body then high intensity "cardio" (same concept as Monday)

SATURDAY - Off or same workout as Tuesday & Thursday

Sunday - Off

I lost a lot of bodyfat before and its a fact...the diet is the big difference....
Westside for skinny bastard is a upper,lower split and i enjoyed it.
I cant go at the gym to perform traditionnal split....BORING!!

Well i wanna keep the strenght and even improved, Also im working on my conditionning and at the same time if my diet is good, the bodyfat will decrease...

Westside is not only for skinny bastard!!

Nice post Rampage. Kroc concurs:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/advice_for_young_lifters.htm

Q: Do you have any advice on dropping body fat while increasing strength?

A: Your goal with cutting weight should be to maintain as much strength as possible during the cut and then to try to regain (and hopefully surpass) your current strength level while maintaining the lighter bodyweight.

You see, losing weight is a catabolic process and gaining muscle is an anabolic process. Unless you are extremely out of shape or entirely new to training, it will be virtually impossible to gain strength while cutting. Most likely you will actually lose some strength, but don't worry - you should be able to exceed your previous strength levels given time.

With all of that being said I feel the best way to lose body fat and retain strength is by increasing your cardiovascular work. You should also clean up your diet but I would recommend maintaining your current total caloric intake and creating the caloric deficit necessary for weight loss through an increased expenditure of energy, namely more cardio.

My favorite method is walking on a treadmill at a rate sufficient to elevate your heart rate to 55-65% of your max. This is easy on your joints, doesn't tax your muscles too much to where it affects your recovery from weight training and it is effective for fat loss. You can also ride a bike (stationary or outdoors), walk outdoors or use other cardio equipment like elliptical machines and step mills as long as you shoot for the same target heart rate.

Jogging or other more intense forms of cardio will burn a lot of calories and at a quicker rate but they also lend themselves to burning up more muscle mass than less demanding types of cardio.

I would suggest starting with 30 minutes of walking on a treadmill 3-4 times per week on non-training days. As you lose weight you can make adjustments from there to keep the weight loss coming.

Nice posts. Still I wonder about the RE upper body day. For a guy like you especially, whose bench is so good compared to his squat/DL, I think you would benefit more from additional lower body work instead of the RE UB day. I think the cardio training could still be done if you used say, a rowing machine or the hand bike rather than the elipitcal so you didn't over load your legs.

Nice posts. Still I wonder about the RE upper body day. For a guy like you especially, whose bench is so good compared to his squat/DL, I think you would benefit more from additional lower body work instead of the RE UB day. I think the cardio training could still be done if you used say, a rowing machine or the hand bike rather than the elipitcal so you didn't over load your legs.

Thanks...

Im thinking about doing 2 maxlower days a week, one on deads and one for squat..
a rotation like this maybe..

Max lower squat
Max upper bench
Max lower deads

A kind of 3 days rotation...well i have to figure it...i know 5x5 and did it in the past but just found it to boring...will see!!

I would stick with the program for a couple of months and see how it goes.

SATURDAY APRIL 16 MAXLOWER ***Some upper rep work***

A) Box Squat
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x3
315x3
335x2 (afraid of doing 3rd rep)
335x3 (this time i did it)

B) Sumo Deadlifts
135x8
225x5
275x3
315x3
335x3 (3rrd rep difficult)

C) Benchpress test 135lb x 23reps

Super Set:
D1-Wide Gr. Seated Row
115x12
115x12
115x12
115x12

D2-Face Pulls
30x12
30x12
30x12
30x12

E1-Weighted Swiss Ball Crunh
25x12
25x12
25x12

E2-Side bends
bwx12
bwx12
bwx12

Notes;

Short on time and impossible to train tommorow, this is why today was a maxlower with some rep work for upper body.
this will conclude the 2nd cycle and monday i be ready to start the 3rd one.
On the box squat i had someone to check me but still, i was affraid of the 3rd reps.
Next week will go for one rep max.

MONDAY 28APR MAXUPPER

A-Bench
135x8
185x5
225x3
245x2
255x1 PR

B-DB Press palms in
70x8
80x6
80x6

Super Set:
C1-Db rows 3x10 (70lb)
C2-Seated Db Power Cleans 3x10 (10lb)

Super Set:

Traps
E-Barbell shrugs 3x10 (185lb)

CONDITIONNING;

Here what i did;

Threadmil incline 1.5
30sec jog
20sec run
60sec jog
30sec run
90sec jog
40sec run
120sec jog
50sec run
150sec jog
60sec run
180sec jog
70sec run

NOTES:
Personnal best on bench since i post on sherdog, did 265 in the past but right now happy with that.Will switch to decline next week. No abs today, new way to perform some cardio was fun! Good workout overall, no arms work today but will do on rep day!!

WEDNESDAY APR30 *CONDITIONNING*

I played a hockey game this morning in our summer league, we were only 3 defenseman and my 2 partnes were not in great shape so had a lots of icetime. 3 periods of 25 minutes!!

This is a type of lactate inducing workout!!

Back