A primarily stand-up MMA fighter vs a boxer/kickboxer

prikoke

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
It got me thinking - MMA has had champs like JDS or Lawler who prefer to keep it standing. But they are not the best stand-up fighters in the world, so I wonder how they would do against a pure striker better than them.

Obviously they have good TDD but I don't know about their offensive wrestling. Imagine, for example, JDS vs Klitschko. Do you think he would be able to take him down or would he get beat down on the feet?

Klitschko would make jds' face look like a hot air balloon on the feet. I don't know if jds can take him down. klitschko is a big man.

Klitschko would make jds' face look like a hot air balloon on the feet. I don't know if jds can take him down. klitschko is a big man.

JDS has taken down bigger men who actually are good wrestlers (Carwin)

You have about the same grappling experience as most boxers / kickboxers. Go to your local BJJ gym and see how many times you get tapped out by a whitebelt in 5 minutes

You have about the same grappling experience as most boxers / kickboxers. Go to your local BJJ gym and see how many times you get tapped out by a whitebelt in 5 minutes

There are plenty of whitebelts that can't take me down if I just focus on not getting taken down; many BJJ schools don't focus that much on the stand-up anyway. Either way, you can't extrapolate from a regular person to how it would play out between two high-level fighters.

If JDS just stood with Kiltschko, he would get owned. JDS is more than capable of taking him down though, and he's not afraid to walk through some punches to attempt a takedown either.

In an MMA fight outside of a one shot KO the boxer is getting taken down. In a boxing fight though JDS gets merked by the top 200 HW boxers due to his utter lack of defence. While Lawler and his technique less arm punches would see him ripped apart by most pro boxers.

Not to pile on, but JDS could take him down at will. The worst HW in the UFC could probably take him down at will.

That's like saying who would do better at Olympic Hammer Toss, a HW champion boxer, or a guy that does Hammer Toss in the Olympics.

If JDS just stood with Kiltschko, he would get owned. JDS is more than capable of taking him down though, and he's not afraid to walk through some punches to attempt a takedown either.

What is he trying for a TD from the clinch? The Kiltschko's are not MMA fighters, if you try "walk through some punches" you are eating a check hook for a KO. JDS would just shoot a low single where he is at no risk

In an MMA fight outside of a one shot KO the boxer is getting taken down. In a boxing fight though JDS gets merked by the top 200 HW boxers due to his utter lack of defence. While Lawler and his technique less arm punches would see him ripped apart by most pro boxers.

Does Lawler throw arm punches?

It got me thinking - MMA has had champs like JDS or Lawler who prefer to keep it standing. But they are not the best stand-up fighters in the world, so I wonder how they would do against a pure striker better than them.

Obviously they have good TDD but I don't know about their offensive wrestling. Imagine, for example, JDS vs Klitschko. Do you think he would be able to take him down or would he get beat down on the feet?

What people forget is that Boxers land strikes to the head with more frequency over a longer duration.

So while JDS may have an iron chin in MMA, he is going to be getting tagged over and over again for a very long period of time in Boxing.

Klitschko would knock him out within the distance.

Shit Klitschko wouldn't fight for the UFC. They pay shit. If they did idk cuz Klitschko is really big. If he lands one or two good power punches it's over. I kinda think JDS V Klitschko = Sylvia V Mercer.

What is he trying for a TD from the clinch? The Kiltschko's are not MMA fighters, if you try "walk through some punches" you are eating a check hook for a KO. JDS would just shoot a low single where he is at no risk

I know it wouldn't be his best option, but JDS has taken some nasty beatings before, so if he had to, he could probably eat a few shots from Vitali to close the distance. Wlad would be more dangerous because he's the more powerful of the Klitschko brothers though.

You're right though, obviously it would be preferable for him to not get hit on the way in.

Is that a joke? Cant take him down because he is a big man? I guess you must have felt the same way about Couture vs Toney.

A boxing stance only works in boxing. You would get your lead leg kicked off to the 8th row if you stand like that infront of someone who can kick. The single leg is also there all day every day.

I would like to see that fight...... in boxing,in mma it would be randy/james t part 2
If they fought in mma i would like to see stand up fight,not mma fighters going for td right away

A boxing stance only works in boxing. You would get your lead leg kicked off to the 8th row if you stand like that infront of someone who can kick. The single leg is also there all day every day.

This

Wladimir would probably knock Junior out before he got a takedown. Wlad's wingspan is 81" and he controls range very well from the outside. His jab alone is powerful enough to stun, drop and even knock out most MMA fighters. He'd hit JDS with his murderous right cross and tuck him into bed before he was able to successfully get a takedown. If he clinches with Wlad then he'll eat uppercuts and short hooks. Junior's takedowns from the distance just aren't there. His Freestyle wrestling-based takedowns that is, ie., singles and doubles along with snatches and picks. He has pretty good clinch-based takedowns though like the one he hit against Stipe. Junior has never tasted power on the level of Wlad's though, and no, Mark Hunt doesn't punch harder than Wlad.

Back