A primarily stand-up MMA fighter vs a boxer/kickboxer

Shit Klitschko wouldn't fight for the UFC. They pay shit. If they did idk cuz Klitschko is really big. If he lands one or two good power punches it's over. I kinda think JDS V Klitschko = Sylvia V Mercer.

Wtf. Are you crazy? Jds took so much damage with smaller gloves(not big boxing gloves) and wasnt ko'd.... ever!!!!! Klitschko's ko's are mostly in later rounds,he stands 0% chanse of knocking out jds. If anything he could get ko'd. His chin is weak,but he has good defense. In mma jds all day,probably takes him down and beats him up

Wladimir would probably knock Junior out before he got a takedown. Wlad's wingspan is 81" and he controls range very well from the outside. His jab alone is powerful enough to stun, drop and even knock out most MMA fighters. He'd hit JDS with his murderous right cross and tuck him into bed before he was able to successfully get a takedown. If he clinches with Wlad then he'll eat uppercuts and short hooks. Junior's takedowns from the distance just aren't there. His Freestyle wrestling-based takedowns that is, ie., singles and doubles along with snatches and picks. He has pretty good clinch-based takedowns though like the one he hit against Stipe. Junior has never tasted power on the level of Wlad's though, and no, Mark Hunt doesn't punch harder than Wlad.

Mark hunt and roy nelson have bigger 1 punch ko power than him

JDS is a striker, so definitly not the guy you'd wan to beat Wlad at MMA. Cain would be a much, much safer bet.

Wlad would absolutely have a chance to beat any MMA HW just by virtue of being a big powerful puncher. JDS v Cain I happened.

No, though they throw wild looping punches that generate more power than the stuff Wlad throws in boxing.

There is no doubt whatsoever Wlad can hit harder than either.

Two unknown pros in each field fight at the bar

Ive always figured most of the time the mma guy isnt clinching, he's going to be confident enough in his hands which would be his downfall. A strict bjj practioner would have the edge instead of the mma guy. After watching boxing for so many years, I honestly get an embarrassed feeling when two mma guys just trade when either aren't really skilled in it.

Uh, no. Neither hits as hard. Both are putting all of their power into their punches and throwing technique out the window. Wladimir can keep his clean technique and hit his opponents with bombs (his left hook and right cross for example). Wlad has true KO power in both hands. He specializes in fighting the best HW boxers in the world with his fists, Nelson and Hunt don't.

I think even the best mma boxers and kick boxers wouldn't get very far in professional boxing. And i think it is easyier (though still really hard) for a boxer to transfer to MMA than a MMA fighter to transfer to pro boxing.

Give Wladmir Klitschko 12 months of mma training and he could survive in the ufc heavy weight division. Cain Velesques couldn't become a top ten heavy weight boxer with 12 months of pure boxing. And its even worse in the light weight divisions.

What UFC heavy weight or light heavy weight could last 12 rounds with semi-retired David Tua? And David Tua is no where near Wladmir Klitschko

I think even the best mma boxers and kick boxers wouldn't get very far in professional boxing. And i think it is easyier (though still really hard) for a boxer to transfer to MMA than a MMA fighter to transfer to pro boxing.

Give Wladmir Klitschko 12 months of mma training and he could survive in the ufc heavy weight division. Cain Velesques couldn't become a top ten heavy weight boxer with 12 months of pure boxing. And its even worse in the light weight divisions.

What UFC heavy weight or light heavy weight could last 12 rounds with semi-retired David Tua? And David Tua is no where near Wladmir Klitschko

Agreed. Though there have been some kickboxers that've done very well in boxing. Some of them have very good hands, and not just in kickboxing. There are only a very, very small handful of MMA fighters that could likely do reasonably well in pro boxing. None of the heavyweights in the UFC would be a Top 10 heavyweight in pro boxing, as you said. I don't think any amount of time training boxing and only boxing would matter here. They'd be fighting guys that have been boxing competitively since they were young kids and teenagers.

It doesn't make boxing a harder sport.

This is the same for all martial arts. How many MMA guys without a wrestling background would win a wrestling Olympic gold medal? How many without a BJJ background could become BJJ world champion?

Of course it would be easier (but not easy) for a boxer to go to MAA then the other way around. He would already be great at one part of MMA before starting the sport.

It all depends on whether these good stand-up MMA fighters are competing in a striking bout, such as boxing, or kickboxing. Or whether they are competing MMA.

What you'll find is that even though guys like JDS prefers to stand, and that is his main strength - he still trains in all other aspects of MMA. So if JDS was to take on an elite boxer, or kickboxer, that's when he'd use his other skills he has, that his opponent hasn't trained.

Obviously if the MMA striker was to take on an elite boxer, or kickboxer, they're gonna lose 9 times out of 10. But in an MMA contest, my money would be on the MMA guy every time. All it takes is basic knowledge of BJJ, and wrestling, to be able to take down and choke out a guy with no knowledge of grappling.

Wlad fought a fat austrlian named leapai last fight.the australian fighter landed 10 times in 5 or so rounds.im sure jds would do better.

Wlad fought a fat austrlian named leapai last fight.the australian fighter landed 10 times in 5 or so rounds.im sure jds would do better.

Leapai would beat the shit out of JDS in a boxing fight. Also 10x in 5 rounds is pretty much nothing.

Leapai beat Boytsov and became the next challenger for Wlad. It was a big upset. Landing a whole 10 times in 5 rounds averages out to twice per round and doesn't even mean that the punches were clean let alone flush. :icon_lol: So get real. Wlad hasn't lost in a decade. Leapai would outbox JDS and Wlad would kill him.

Leapai beat Boytsov and became the next challenger for Wlad. It was a big upset. Landing a whole 10 times in 5 rounds averages out to twice per round and doesn't even mean that the punches were clean let alone flush. :icon_lol: So get real. Wlad hasn't lost in a decade. Leapai would outbox JDS and Wlad would kill him.

Yeah im quite aware who leapai is living in australia and all, lot of fighters have crossed over into other sports and done well, hunt, overeem to name a couple.to absolutely disregard jds doing better then leapai did isnt out of the realm of possibility.with no threat of a clinch and td i can see jds putting in a better effort then leapai, would he beat...hmmm no.but anythings possible

Carwin was a two time Division two runner up, if JDS can take that monster down he can easily take down any pro boxer IMO.

I think the mma guys would do pretty good standing up against boxers with kicks, elbows, spinning backfists and kicks. MMA strikers KO K1 champs all the time, it has happened several times. MMA standup is for real homie.

I'd say there are probably quite a few middleweights and even some WWs who could beat klitschko in an MMA match (assuming Klitschko doesn't secretly train grappling).

There are also probably some pretty small boxers who would beat JDS in a boxing match.

Two unknown pros in each field fight at the bar

Ive always figured most of the time the mma guy isnt clinching, he's going to be confident enough in his hands which would be his downfall. A strict bjj practioner would have the edge instead of the mma guy. After watching boxing for so many years, I honestly get an embarrassed feeling when two mma guys just trade when either aren't really skilled in it.

Mma striking is different than boxing or kickboxing.

Smaller gloves, threat of takedown, flying knees, elbows, spinning backfists, wheel kicks, showtime kicks, upward elbows, leg kicks, high kicks, body kicks and also those punches.

I'd give jose aldo, anderson silva and jds a good chance against their boxing/kickboxing equivalent.

I mean, did jon jones just outwrestle and olympic wrestler??

Hasnt overeem and cro cop been KO'd a million times by "lesser strikers"?

When will you guys realize that mma is a striking style of its own that was created by combining old styles and giving birth to its own style that is 100% suited for its own sport.

You getting embarassed when mma guys trade is like me saying i am embarassed when boxers are so skilled at punching that they always wind up grabbimg each other and hugging. Also lol @ boxers and their lack of ability to kick or defend kicks. I know they are the biggest combat sport n all but i honestly think they are THE most lacking of all striking martial arts.

If JDS can take down Carwin, you best believe he can take down Klitschko

I think you guys are putting these boxers on a pedastal just because they get paid a lot.

Mma striking > boxing or kickboxing

Tell me how or when has wlad seen a wheel kick to even defend one? The one jds landed on hunt.

I pick an mma fighter because in a pure mma striking fight, the mma fighter still has: punches, kicks, elbows, knees, spinning shit.

The boxer has: punches, a defense that is only geared toward punches. Lack of kicking defense knowledge, no offensive kicks at all. Never seen an elbow and never had to watch for a flying knee or spinning kicks.

Lets look at the stats. Amount of better strikers getting knocked the fuck out by grapplers or wrestlers is a list that is too long to list.

While the list for top strikers going into mma and being striking gods is not long at all. Cro cop? Reem? James toney? Ray mercer?

It's not because they have better striking.

It's 100% because of the take down possibility.

They can't stand the same, they can't throw as often. Take downs can make an amazing striker look average.

Back