A N00b thanks Urban and Carnal!

antant

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd week of Urban's lifting cycle for n00bs that I got from his website. I've always considered myself pretty strong and fit, but I realize now I didn't know shit. I picked up my girlfriend the other day.....which is quite a feat, not because she's heavy, but because I couldn't do it before. I love the DL, its my new best friend next to Squat.

Carnal's treatise: on lifting I find something new everytime I read it. I just realized that Carnal's use of MJ is probably whats keeping him human. I bet if he quit the MJ, he'd end up turning into the hulk or something....green and furious. "Carnal Smash puny humans!!"

Pull/Press/Squat....so simple. Thanks so much for all that info...If only I'd found it sooner.

I'm still only using 2 45lb plates on the barbell at my gym. This is the point where I realized I was really weak :icon_cry2 (I go to Bodies in Motion....yah, yah, yah...I know...it is teh ghey..BUT super hot chicks everywhere.) Been working on getting form, and hitting that 5 sets of 8-12 mark so I can move down reps and sets to heavier loads with proper form....

My questions for everyone:

Where can I find pictures of people DLing properly, especially pictures of their start position?

Does anyone know exercises that will create great conditioning for stand-up and ground, but won't compromise strength gains or the exercises that are used for strength gains.
(The whole 100 push ups and sit ups vs pressing or pulling heavy for a few.)

WTF is a one-legged rotational squat? Any pictures? (saw this on t-nation article. 2nd paragraph, #4. http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=766996)

Anyone has ideas on single leg squats (pistols) VS squatting heavy?

Thanks again!

antant said:
Anyone has ideas on single leg squats (pistols) VS squatting heavy?

Thanks again!

Apples and oranges? Not sure I understand what you are asking.

use them single legs for supplementary exercises.

But I found it a very useful one.

Dude,
YOur girl friend is either a fat ass, or you're a giant pussy.

I think it would be more accurate to say either his girlfriend is a fatass, or he WAS a giant pussy. At least he's making the effort to improve.

And the whole offset, rotational one legged squat thing was just to show how obscure our every day movements are. it's not a real exercise.

In another article on that t-nation forum they were saying something about people should have no business squating heavy without being able to squat single leg....something to that extent.

I was just wondering what single leg squats have to offer in terms of squatting heavy.

Nothing.

Pistols can be good assistance, but they aren't the fast track to a big squat.

not a whole lot. If you read the discussion after that article I call bullshit on the single leg squat thing and nobody can really substantiate the claim.

For the most part, you have what you need to begin with, and reading t-mag is fine, but there's a lot of wasted space on there now. It's fine to educate yourself, but don't let it distract you from doing what you're doing and sticking to a simple routine for at least 16 weeks.

just a side note the simplest and best program i have ever come across was this

Day1: Pull
deadlift
Pullups/Wieghted

Day2: push
Squat
Ovehead press

Day3: The optional crap
bench press
Weighted Situps

Simple and will accelerate any noob untill they greatly require assistance work. Which you should only add once you are absolutly stuck in this programe and never shall you ever stop doing either exercisses in push or pull days.

thanks again Urban and Carnal. 2 weeks down, 14 to go...

Yah, I don't take that t-mag stuff too seriously...err unless I see it supported here in the strength and power section...lol. Oh, and my GF isn't a fatass at all, but I am pussy. I had never in my life worked out my lowerback directly...so I was/am pretty flabby. heh.

Does anyone here also train serious strength with stamina and conditioning?

antant said:
thanks again Urban and Carnal. 2 weeks down, 14 to go...

Yah, I don't take that t-mag stuff too seriously...err unless I see it supported here in the strength and power section...lol. Oh, and my GF isn't a fatass at all, but I am pussy. I had never in my life worked out my lowerback directly...so I was/am pretty flabby. heh.

Does anyone here also train serious strength with stamina and conditioning?

I'd think most people do. All things (power,strength,stamina,conditioning) are directly related. You can't be in condition if you are not strong, but at some point you will need to improve conditiong to train harder to improve strength..

As far as routines,

Unless you're goal is to compete as a powerlifted AND you already have a very good base, you are better off, IMHO, sticking to something simple that covers all the bases and is......

wait for it....

wait for it...

FUN.

I love going to the gym, I look forward to to it every day. If you dont then you need to take a look at what you're doing and shake it up. Hell, I'm even learning to like running.

BTW, for those who care, I'm doing the Chad Waterbury SOB routine right now. I dont think it is as good as westside for skinny bastards, but I needed a change after 2 solid months on WFSB.
That and I'm using CW's 100 Reps scheme on off days to keep my pushup work high.

My BF is way down and my strength has increased a bit. I plan to go straight Westside after Christmas, with 4 lifting days per week, and two running days. Not sure if I can handle that volume but I'll see....

Mr. Foulsmeller brings up a good point about keeping things fun. I mean, obviously every workout isn't gonna have you skipping to the gym, but even my coach, a die hard competitor says "you're not getting paid, so you better enjoy it".

CarnalSalvation said:
Mr. Foulsmeller brings up a good point about keeping things fun. I mean, obviously every workout isn't gonna have you skipping to the gym, but even my coach, a die hard competitor says "you're not getting paid, so you better enjoy it".

You had me ar Mr.....you big lug.

Can a fella get a hug?

Foulsmeller said:
You're just jealous. CS is my big bundle of smoking hot man love.

Fuck me. I just got found out. Apparently I wasn't hiding my desires well enough.

Sean S said:
Fuck me. I just got found out. Apparently I wasn't hiding my desires well enough.

Can I get in on the general :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:ry going on here?

My apologies to all homosexuals.

Madmick said:
Can I get in on the general :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:ry going on here?

My apologies to all homosexuals.

Its not that I hate gays. I just dont like'em.
Now can I get that hug?

Back