A diehard fan running on fumes

The worst thing about the UFC since the WME deal is the matchmaking. Joe Silva, who was matchmaking for the UFC for the majority of it's existence is gone.

Sean Shelby did well with the lighter weights when Silva was around, but he's been doing the higher weights since Silva left and some other guy is doing the lower weights, I believe.

Nobody talks about it, but the matchmaking has been the biggest blow since the merger. When have you last been super amped for a matchup? Probably a while, because the matchmaking is complete shit nowadays with little to no regard for styles.

Yeah, I still check on things daily but never really get PPVs ever anymore. Only one of my buddies still even remotely pays attention. I was going to get ESPN+ until I realized. That I still had to pay 60$ for almost every event.

The worst thing about the UFC since the WME deal is the matchmaking. Joe Silva, who was matchmaking for the UFC for the majority of it's existence is gone.

Sean Shelby did well with the lighter weights when Silva was around, but he's been doing the higher weights since Silva left and some other guy is doing the lower weights, I believe.

Nobody talks about it, but the matchmaking has been the biggest blow since the merger. When have you last been super amped for a matchup? Probably a while, because the matchmaking is complete shit nowadays with little to no regard for styles.
Can’t even get top guys in the cage let alone get matchups put together

Diminishing returns. Cards used to be a longer wait in between, and there were a lot less tv cards, even a point where there weren't any tv cards. So suspense really brewed over time. And they could have their named fighters on them more often due to less shows. Sad reality of a global burst in popularity. It was more fun to be an mma fan when it was a pseudo to total fringe sport.

I feel the same, it's just not like it used to be.

I'm getting less interested in MMA as time goes on. Cain getting Koed by Ngannou was a new low point for me.

I've said it before that UFC was coasting alot on Strikefore/Invicta/Pride buyouts etc and it doesn't have the right stuff to grow younger talent and give back enough to the MMA community to sustain growth and quality in the longer term.

3 sales at $25 is more than 1 at $60 (or $65?) . Greed is costing them easy money.
Yeah there's for sure a tipping point where you scare customers away with a high price. Add that to the product being so watered down there's really no incentive to buy a ppv.

I still watch almost every card. That’s not to say I’m not often disappointed. Not just from watered down cards tho. Aldo/Volk was awful and I was looking forward to that fight a lot. I’m still a fan of the sport* but it’s challenging at times. IMO the mcgregor preferential treatment, Bones USADA shitshow, USADA in general etc is what makes it hard to be fan. I understand the business aspect but that shit keeps mma from ever being viewed as a legitimate sport. It’s always going to be an entertaining cash grab.

You're not a "diehard" if you shit on cards full of people you've never heard of. A diehard fan is stoked about any card and most matchups, only complaining about obvious mismatches.

You're a casual. You're upset that a card doesn't have more "names".

That's the thing. Many of us used to be diehards and now we're barely holding on as casuals.

I used to know almost every fighter from the prelims on up. These days I'm lucky if I recognize 5 names on the card from top to bottom.

I will still pay attention to some of the big fights or guys like Cowboy, Gaethje, Ferguson etc but I no longer plan my Saturday nights around fight cards save for maybe twice a year.

Back in like 2011, you couldn't make a thread in the heavies without it falling off the front page in like 3 minutes. The popularity of the sport has fallen massively but the UFC must be cashing in still because they keep chugging along with these shit cards that most people don't care much about.

Does anyone else feel this way?

There is no doubt I still look up info daily and get pumped for a huge fight but overall, something is missing. (No, it isn’t an Irish Tweeter)

UFC 239 got the juices flowing and was worth the PPV buy but, so many cards seem to have 1 huge fight, watered down with up and comers AND, you have to be a detective to know where the heck it is being shown....Fight Pass, Fox, FS1, ESPN, ESPN +, PPV, Univision? Crazy!

UFC 240 is not even close to the quality card of 239 and yet there is no price drop.

I am just venting and maybe alone on this but I can’t lie to myself.
Anyone else agree?

Also, this has nothing to do with the pool of talent out there because I know that in 2019, the talent is at its peak.

Whether I pay or play stream I watch fights you never know what you gonna get that's why I watch I got bigger things to b!tch about than men fighting...

I still dont understand how they put together cards and i haven't heard of 90% of the fighters. I spent hours a day on here.

Does anyone else feel this way?

There is no doubt I still look up info daily and get pumped for a huge fight but overall, something is missing. (No, it isn’t an Irish Tweeter)

UFC 239 got the juices flowing and was worth the PPV buy but, so many cards seem to have 1 huge fight, watered down with up and comers AND, you have to be a detective to know where the heck it is being shown....Fight Pass, Fox, FS1, ESPN, ESPN +, PPV, Univision? Crazy!

UFC 240 is not even close to the quality card of 239 and yet there is no price drop.

I am just venting and maybe alone on this but I can’t lie to myself.
Anyone else agree?

Also, this has nothing to do with the pool of talent out there because I know that in 2019, the talent is at its peak.
You are still a baby in fan terms. Give it 20 more years.

I was a diehard for a long time too. The sport passed me by after a while. I came into the sport with Chuck head kicked Babalu. I probably watched just about every fight after that one for a long time. After a while, I'd skip a card here and there. A longer while still, and I'd be skipping 3 or 4 cards in a row.

On and on and now I don't know half the names on the cards. People pretend to be nostalgic about "back in the day" when you'd know every single fighter on a card. The sport hasn't changed, we have. Sure, it's harder to keep up with. More and more cards every year.

But we're not "diehards" anymore. If we were, this wouldn't be the case.

There definitely aren't as many diehards as there used to be. I highly doubt the UFC is bringing in any new diehards these days. Just holding on to the few they've still got. It just doesn't seem like it's a reminiscing thing where people act like everything was better "back in the day" even though it hasn't changed.

To me it came down to 3 things.

1. Stars. Chuck, Brock, Anderson, Tito, Couture, Rampage, GSP, Hughes, Penn etc etc. These guys were household names. A few years back the UFC survived on a couple of megastars in Ronda and McGregor but now they have almost no stars. I guess Jon Jones is the closest thing that still fights but he was never the draw that the real stars were. They also had a ton of secondary stars back then like Shogun, Hendo, Franklin, Griffin, Rashad, Machida etc. Hell, there were more names in the LHW division back then than there is in the entire UFC right now.

2. Watered down cards. We've already talked about this.

3. The fall of TUF. Back when the TUF tournaments were full of quality fighters, they would fill up even the "weak" cards. So a random Fight Night card back in the day would be really weak compared to a PPV card but the "filler" on those cards were guys like Lauzon, Leben, Guillard, Diaz, Lytle etc. Guys that were still up and coming but had their brand built because of TUF.

I think losing the "brand" of the fighters is an underrated reason because it's kind of like watching a sport while not knowing who anyone is. It's boring. I always get my girlfriends into sports by telling them things about the players. Once they start to know who the players are and random things about them, they start enjoying the sport because it gives it some sort of meaning other than watching a bunch of guys randomly try and get a ball in a hoop or a football in an end zone.

Not so sure about that. Off the top of my head:

Conor vs Khabib
Ferguson vs Pettis
Ferguson vs Cerrone
Khabib vs Poirier
Poirier vs Holloway
Israel vs Kelvin
Israel vs Whittaker
Cormier vs Miocic
Pettis vs Diaz
Jones vs Gustafsson II
Cerrone vs Gaethje