A diehard fan running on fumes

It sure was a hell of a lot easier to know what channel the fights would be shown on, It was always the same damn channel in the old days. Now though, It can be on several different channels or even a fucking stream (that goes for Bellator too). Also I agree with TS, a lot of water down shit they're putting out these day.

It sure was a hell of a lot easier to know what channel the fights would be shown on, It was always the same damn channel in the old days. Now though, It can be on several different channels or even a fucking stream (that goes for Bellator too). Also I agree with TS, a lot of water down shit they're putting out these day.

Its been like 10 years since the fights were all on one channel. Crazy people still bitch about this.

You're not alone man. These cards used to be exciting back in the day...beers, buddies and packed bars. Now they're mostly garbage that I can't even find a good reason to stream for free anymore. I'll catch the 1 - 2 fights I care about the day after usually.
Definitely agree I do the same, saw the whole card this weekend and only interest is the main event, don’t care to watch the rest of the card.

The worst thing about the UFC since the WME deal is the matchmaking. Joe Silva, who was matchmaking for the UFC for the majority of it's existence is gone.

Sean Shelby did well with the lighter weights when Silva was around, but he's been doing the higher weights since Silva left and some other guy is doing the lower weights, I believe.

Nobody talks about it, but the matchmaking has been the biggest blow since the merger. When have you last been super amped for a matchup? Probably a while, because the matchmaking is complete shit nowadays with little to no regard for styles.

Fights this year

Ferguson vs Cerrone
Cerrone vs Gaethje
Adesanya vs Kelvin
Adesanya vs Whittaker
Yoel vs Costa
Jones vs Santos
Max vs Poirier
Dc vs Stipe 2
Jds vs Ngannou
Khabib vs Poirier
Cejudo vs Tj
Cejudo vs Moraes
Pettis vs Nate
Colby vs Lawler
Barboza vs Gaethje
Lawler vs Askren
Askren vs Maia
Askren vs Masvidal

There have been a lot of good match ups.

UFC is dying.

WME got conned.

Fuck you, ya goofs.

I'm not a big fan of narrow decisions, or judges decisions period. Give em 1 more round, sudden victory.

But I'll watch the fighters that still have that martial spirit, Santos' grit, Jorge's knee KO(even though I dont like Jorge), his finish of Ben was outstanding. I'll still watch a card for just 1 fight, cause I know that fighter has that grit, determination, and martial spirit.

I'm with you ts. I remember renting all the early UFC's from blockbuster around 98 and thought they were cool as shit. Went through every one they had and didnt really know where to find any more.

It wasnt till tuf 1 that I got back in and starting buying DVD's of ufc events I hadn't seen. Then the pinnacle came when I found out about pride. I bought so many pride DVDs from best buy along with kotc, rumble on the rock, and anything I hadn't seen before.

Man those were the days. Fight nights and PPV's were so looked forward to. Dont know if it's an age thing with me getting older or what. I definitely still watch a lot of fights but it's just not the same.

It is not just you. I used to buy all of the cards but not anymore. I just read play by plays and look at gifs and a lot of times I don’t even do that.

Meh, my interest fluctuates over time. Down, then up again. If you feel yourself losing interest, watch less for a while.

Not so sure about that. Off the top of my head:

Conor vs Khabib
Ferguson vs Pettis
Ferguson vs Cerrone
Khabib vs Poirier
Poirier vs Holloway
Israel vs Kelvin
Israel vs Whittaker
Cormier vs Miocic
Pettis vs Diaz
Jones vs Gustafsson II
Cerrone vs Gaethje
Garbrandt vs TJ 2x
GSP Vs Bisping

Ect. Those are all match ups that got me hyped

6 of the fights on your list are at LW. The first 5 on your list look nice on paper, but when you look a little deeper, they actually confirm poor match making imo.

Conor vs Khabib (Conor skipped the line, red panty, we get it) but with Tony vs Pettis(questionable opponent) as the co-main it is awesome match making , especially if you have the winners face off. They didn't though. From there they made an interim belt while they had a healthy champion. Huh? So the Poirier vs Max fight happened so a healthy Champion could sit out. How is that an example of good match making? Make no mistake, The summer fight at LW absolutely should have been Khabib/Tony.

Since they allowed Khabib to just sit out healthy. They tried to force Tony to fight for a second interim belt to sell a few ppv's while the champ vacationed. Tony rightly refused the offer. So instead of finally getting Beeb/Tony, instead we got Max/DP, Tony/Cowboy, and hopefully Beeb/DP. While those look okay on paper, at the conclusion of 229 there was only 1 fight to make, and we didn't get it.

The match making at WW has the light weight train wreck looking like a fender bender. Luque has won 5 in a row. He has won 9 of his last 10, all 9 wins by finish. Currently ranked 15th and scheduled to fight an unranked Perry. Horrible ranking system and terrible match making. We need to start pitting these win streaks against each other before they get to 7, 8, 9, wins in a row.

5 guys can make a reasonable argument why they should get the shot at Usman(6 if you consider Mas claim as resonable). That's not a good sign of match making imo.

Joe Silva matched winner vs winner. Win streak vs win streak. It was a far better system imo.

Completely agree. Been following MMA since early 2000 and up until just a couple of years ago, I decided not to watch an event because my time is spent better elsewhere. The new normal is that you get 1, if you are lucky 2 big fights on a card. Back in the days the main card was usually stacked, now it’s a bunch of up and comers that should be in smaller orgs before they are proven. Here where I live we get all events for free and when a hardcore fan can’t even bother to watch it when it’s free, it’s bad.

Does anyone else feel this way?

There is no doubt I still look up info daily and get pumped for a huge fight but overall, something is missing. (No, it isn’t an Irish Tweeter)

UFC 239 got the juices flowing and was worth the PPV buy but, so many cards seem to have 1 huge fight, watered down with up and comers AND, you have to be a detective to know where the heck it is being shown....Fight Pass, Fox, FS1, ESPN, ESPN +, PPV, Univision? Crazy!

UFC 240 is not even close to the quality card of 239 and yet there is no price drop.

I am just venting and maybe alone on this but I can’t lie to myself.
Anyone else agree?

Also, this has nothing to do with the pool of talent out there because I know that in 2019, the talent is at its peak.
This sport has no buzz, it even seems like ESPN has slowed down its coverage in between events. Expect it to worsen once pro and college football season kickoff. Notice you haven’t heard any ESPN + subscriber pronouncements in a long time.

Why would they do this when they get paid for 500,000 buys for each ppv already?
Viewership. More people would buy them. More eyes, more fans.
I'm still speaking in the past with cable box surfers. Guy sees fights on Sat night for $20 and rents it, he doesn't even consider at $60+

Besides all the other great points, one will always stand, the women do not belong in the UFC cage. Get that fake equality shit back to another irrelevant org. Putting 2,3, or more on a card is a joke. Wallet stays shut when you don't want to buy garbage.

It's a lot of generic fighters these days. Guys that are sorta good but not special.

The UFC org has always been lackluster. C+ level org the whole time.

They should at least do a tournament. Mix it up.

I don't think there is anything the UFC or any MMA promotion could do that would make me more depressed than this place. If I can still watch MMA after joining this cesspool there is nothing that will stop me.

Back