A Closer Inspection of Joanna Champion's Striking.

KO's =/= good striking
Submission =/= good bjj

You should be aware that Joanna was developing her hands ever since she switched to MMA. Watch her bouts one after another, and you'll see massive improvements from fight to fight. Her hands were not nearly as good against Benitez and Jackson as they were against Esparza, Penne... None of her opponents were competitive with her on their feet, not even Gadelha. Besides crisp technique and big power, her footwork, feints, timing and distance management are all small, non-flashy things that also separate her from others. Watch it closer.

Also, no one was comparing her to Mayweather, you made up this comparison to "dismantle" it and shit on Jedrzejczyk. Very clever.

Another terrible thread from Jetson. What a surprise.

There are a lot of shit threads started on this forum every day, but this new fad of promising "a close inspection" or "a technical breakdown" and then posting some armchair clown bullshit about "sloppy punches", "did not finish fights" makes for some of the absolute shittiest threads.

It was more so jacksons corner and the doc's that stopped it

you would have continued fighting ts? you must be tough

Dayum, those sloppy punches tho! Kate looks like that big man creature from the Goonies, ahahahaha.

Kate "Lump Lump" Jackson, I like it. :icon_chee

A close examination of George Jetson's threads

They fucking suck. That is my highly technical breakdown, supported by conorsdickislife.

This isn't analysis. Pointing out that one fighter didn't finish certain other fighters is not a "close inspection" of a fighter's skill set.

This would be analysis: http://fightland.vice.com/blog/joanna-champions-striking-clinic

aaron-rodgers.gif

Overrated? 7x world muay thai champion. Yeah thats overrated. Come on man get some more info before posting stuff like that.

well, 7x world MT champ really depends on the context (as does any championship belt). its like commentators say "there are black belts and then there are BLACK BELTS"...Jacare/Maia/etc are not on the same level as some random BJJ black belt. the same thing applies when comparing combat sports titles.

not in relation to her specifically but many men claim to be "Muay Thai world champs" but do their belts mean anything in comparison to a Lumpinee or Raja stadium champ at the same weight? not likely...

i mean...Edmond Tarverdyan is a "Muay Thai champion" right? he is/was a WBC MT champ at 147lbs...you think he really stands a chance against guys like Jomthong (134lbs) or Pakorn (131lbs)? context is everything...

Who compares her to K1 stirkers or pro boxers ? Her striking is a few more levels above the competition she has faced, she comes from a strong muay thai background...so far she clearly stands out as the best striker in the division and possibly the best in WMMA. She had her moments where she looked a little sloppy especially some of the flurries in her last few bouts, but when you are putting on a complete striking clinic against her opponents, you can pretty much get away with anything.

And I've hardly heard comparsions beteween her to Badr Hari or James Toney..

No, its not over rated at all

Who compares her to K1 stirkers or pro boxers ? Her striking is a few more levels above the competition she has faced, she comes from a strong muay thai background...so far she clearly stands out as the best striker in the division and possibly the best in WMMA. She had her moments where she looked a little sloppy especially some of the flurries in her last few bouts, but when you are putting on a complete striking clinic against her opponents, you can pretty much get away with anything.

And I've hardly heard comparsions beteween her to Badr Hari or James Toney..

I'd have to somewhat agree with the OP. Most of her hype is coming off beating two women who have little to no skill in striking. I'd like to see her at least beat even some mid-tier women with striking backgrounds, like Angela Hill, Tecia Torres before proclaiming not as a world class striker, but just the best striker in the division.

This thread gave me cancer.

She's compared to top strikers because she has crazy technique on her punches. They are efficient as hell, her muscle memory on the punches makes them look like fucking pistons. She's not overrated when it comes to striking.

Was going to say something like this. Joanna is singular in that even in the clinch, sprawling and fighting off TDs she's hitting you, then goes right back to hitting you when there's space, and then usually hits you a few times more for good measure.

there is always someone, always someone that would reach to the fucking stars to shit on a fighter.

This should really be stickied at put above the text part for every single post on here. It would be a helpful reminder not to get too rustled about things.

Back