A Closer Inspection of Joanna Champion's Striking.

George Jetson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Joanna is a very good striker. No doubt about it.

But is Joanna's striking a bit overrated?

This is the question which I resolve to answer today.

Watching her against Karla Benitez and Kate Jackson tells me 2 things:

1) Joanna was just winging sloppy punches against those scrubs.

2) Joanna still couldn't put those scrubs away during the fight (Jackson quit between rounds but wasn't KO'd)

Can anybody here honestly say that JJ wasn't winging sloppy punches and kicks against an overmatched Kate Jackson? Jackson's striking defense makes Esparza look like Mayweather.

Then she fought Julia Berezikova and her striking didn't look all that phenomenal. She couldn't finish Julia either.

Then she fought Lima and Gadelha and couldn't put them away either, nor did she wreck them (and besides the single knockdown, Gadelha was competitive on the feet). Lima did okay on the feet too.

So WHY are we comparing Joanna's striking to Floyd Mayweather or K-1 champs?

So I ask: Are MMA pundits using fanboy-ism to overrate JJ's striking?

Answer: Yes.

Penne and Esparza are 2 fighters who, without their grappling, become human versions of punching bags.

IMO Claudia will likely win the rematch and Justine Kish will show better striking against JJ when they eventually fight.

She's a good striker but nothing more, IMO.

Discuss.

Then she fought Lima and Gadelha...

Why did you skip over JJ's KO punch of Rosi Sexton?

tumblr_n9ajtoTGs21r4c1k8o1_400.gif

Im pretty sure joanna could Ko bard hari

2) Joanna still couldn't put those scrubs away during the fight (Jackson quit between rounds but wasn't KO'd)

Can anybody here honestly say that JJ wasn't winging sloppy punches and kicks against an overmatched Kate Jackson? Jackson's striking defense makes Esparza look like Mayweather.

Then she fought Julia Berezikova and her striking didn't look all that phenomenal. She couldn't finish Julia either.

Then she fought Lima and Gadelha and couldn't put them away either, nor did she wreck them (and besides the single knockdown, Gadelha was competitive on the feet). Lima did okay on the feet too.

Penne and Esparza are 2 fighters who, without their grappling, become human versions of punching bags.

IMO Claudia will likely win the rematch and Justine Kish will show better striking against JJ when they eventually fight.

Discuss.

Overrated? 7x world muay thai champion. Yeah thats overrated. Come on man get some more info before posting stuff like that.

She's compared to top strikers because she has crazy technique on her punches. They are efficient as hell, her muscle memory on the punches makes them look like fucking pistons. She's not overrated when it comes to striking.

Overrated by what standards? Comparing her to a Pro boxer? Or compare her to the level of competition she faces? It doesn't have to be great to get the job done, look at her fights and you can clearly see she is a very good striker, who gives a fuck what "fans" think about her technique....

It was more so jacksons corner and the doc's that stopped it

you would have continued fighting ts? you must be tough

lol is it on mayweathers level as a pure boxer no hes the greatest to ever strap gloves on thats an unfair comparison. is it better than every womans in the division absolutely. also did u think she was going to be an absolute knock out machine at womens 115... we have guys at higher weights that cant finish fights that are clearly one sided and ur worried about joanna why?

Her technique is what's special about her, she has better technique than most man in mma.

Lack of gifs or video's from TS loses it for me.

Very strange to bring up old fights to argue against the compliments JJ is currently getting. I guess people never improve as long as you decide not to see it.

Discuss.

She can strike better than you can construct a paragraph.

we arent at the stage where we scrutinze her yet - shes still the cool new thing - wait until she wins a little bit more and maybe makes a comment that can be misconstrued as cocky and this thread will be a hit

but come on man, know the timing

Discuss.

tumblr_nkjpjaThh61up4t51o2_250.gif
tumblr_nkjpjaThh61up4t51o1_250.gif

"JEEEEEEEETSOOOOON! Yooooour fiiiiiiiiiiiiired!"

Overrated? 7x world muay thai champion. Yeah thats overrated. Come on man get some more info before posting stuff like that.

He means in an absolute sense. Among women she clearly is great.

How can you watch mma and know so little of fighting.. it suprises me everyday on sherdog

Is this one of those 'he/she hasn't fought any wrestlers to test her' threads or one of those 'he/she has never fought an elite striker like her and only fighting cans' thread?

I can't tell.

Back