A bunch of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rEmY

Needs to eat more
Reaction score
I've saved up some questions so i just made one thread and not four. how efficient of me.

1. Motion/muscle disparities/imbalances

case 1: my back squat: 285 lbs, my front squat: 135x6

case 2: my bench: 225 lbs, my close grip bench: 225 lbs

any thoughts on to why these differences might be occurring?

2. speed bench tempo? slow down, fast up? fast up and down? not quite sure on these

3. how to increase shoulder flexibility for things like overhead squats?

thanks in advance

1. Wouldn't worry about it a ton honestly. All that'd indicate to me is that you've figured out how to use your posterior chain to squat, which I'd hardly call a problem or issue.

2. Some people (especially those with naturally thinner builds) actually do better with a narrow grip than what would be considered a standard powerlifting grip. It's possible you got brainwashed into thinking you should have your index or middle fingers on the rings, when in reality that might be too wide a grip for you to use optimally as a raw bencher. It could also be a matter of having a girly chest or no lats.

3. I am as fast down as I can be and still easily bring the bar to a motionless stop on the chest, and as fast upward as I can move the weight.

4. Dislocates are good. Take a broomstick, band, strap, whatever, hold it with whatever grip works best for you, and roll your shoulders back while keeping your arms straight. The item you are holding in your hand should go from your balls to your ass without you having to bend your elbows. I find this is a great way to stretch tight pecs, and loosen up the shoulder girdle.

CarnalSalvation said:
1. Wouldn't worry about it a ton honestly. All that'd indicate to me is that you've figured out how to use your posterior chain to squat, which I'd hardly call a problem or issue.

2. Some people (especially those with naturally thinner builds) actually do better with a narrow grip than what would be considered a standard powerlifting grip. It's possible you got brainwashed into thinking you should have your index or middle fingers on the rings, when in reality that might be too wide a grip for you to use optimally as a raw bencher. It could also be a matter of having a girly chest or no lats.

3. I am as fast down as I can be and still easily bring the bar to a motionless stop on the chest, and as fast upward as I can move the weight.

4. Dislocates are good. Take a broomstick, band, strap, whatever, hold it with whatever grip works best for you, and roll your shoulders back while keeping your arms straight. The item you are holding in your hand should go from your balls to your ass without you having to bend your elbows. I find this is a great way to stretch tight pecs, and loosen up the shoulder girdle.

1. i thought maybe it was just a quad weakness or something like that. hooray for the posterior chain.

2. i think you nailed it. im a thin bastard, very narrow shoulders. benching close also is a lot more comfortable of a stroke. i do have a girly chest (doing DB presses for this) but my lats are ok (i think? i bent over row 225x6 fairly strict)

4. did you know your page is the first link when you google "band dislocates"?

I didn't say your quads weren't weak, I just said I wouldn't worry about it a ton.

You're like me. I used to row more for reps than I could bench. Your upper/middle back is fine in that case I would say. Just take a narrower grip if it suits you. There is no rule that you have to bench press the same Scot Mendelson does or squat the way Louie Simmons advocates. I am one of the few raw benchers I know personally who does best with a pretty wide grip, but I'm also about as wide as a fucking old ass ghetto buick.

CarnalSalvation said:
I didn't say your quads weren't weak, I just said I wouldn't worry about it a ton.

You're like me. I used to row more for reps than I could bench. Your upper/middle back is fine in that case I would say. Just take a narrower grip if it suits you. There is no rule that you have to bench press the same Scot Mendelson does or squat the way Louie Simmons advocates. I am one of the few raw benchers I know personally who does best with a pretty wide grip, but I'm also about as wide as a fucking old ass ghetto buick.
Isn't the standard bench press grip with pinky on the ring?

It may be more a case of getting used to front squat, rather than quad weakness

By that I mean, your quads may be fairly strong, but if you're not used to frontsquats they can be somewhat awkward, and uncomfortable, which would affect how much you can lift.

+1 to what johnny said, I know for me the weight was always limited by my lack of flexibility and being able to keep upright enough to maintain bar position.

bridgekeeper.jpg

Well done.

Haven't seen grusome in ages.

Awesome.

Isn't the standard bench press grip with pinky on the ring?

its personal preference. carnal stated he's as wide as a ghetto buick, so pinky's on the rings is probably how he does close grip bench

Everyone is biomechanically different, carnal nailed the answer with his original post. I bench with my ring finger on the rings. I have a mate who is 6'5" and has long limbs, I was laughing today watching him bench. I swear the bar travels through a greater range of motion when he benches than a lot of guys move the bar when they squat. lol

remy, did you ever increase your 135lbs front squat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back