.99999999 = 1?

With every decimal place to the right you go, the distance between .99999999.... and 1 gets smaller and smaller. And since it's to infinity, the distance between that and one is pretty much nothing

With every decimal place to the right you go, the distance between .99999999.... and 1 gets smaller and smaller. And since it's to infinity, the distance between that and one is pretty much nothing

Or, the distance is infinite.

You know, because .999... ever makes it to 1.

Take Calculus 2 and you won't be confused.

I'm actually not confused, just trying to not troll it. I know the answer as fact, and calculus disagrees with me...I assume.

Last edited:
If you'd break down this in a realistic situation you'd have something made out of atoms. If those atoms are coincidentally in a whole number like 1K (spares me the typing) then 3 equal thirds do not exist. only 333, 333 and 334. If the subject would consist out of 999 atoms then you'd have equal thirds. But instead of it calling one, which would be inaccurate it's just 999. Math still can't beat the absolute reality, so abstract notions like this have to be set in context.

I know you think this is coherent? But it is not.

Like seriously.

This has nothing to do with atoms. What the hell?

Let me make this coherent. Math is created in the real world. In the real world things either exist or not. Things that exist are able to be divided into little pieces. To keep it simple I used atoms as the smallest parts that things are able to be divided into. So if you have 1 chair, it is not actually one chair, but billions of atoms. But instead of billions I'll use a thousand, because that makes it simpler. So that chair is not 1, but 1000 which you can not split into three equal thirds. Only 333, 333 and 334. But if the chair happens to consist out of 999 atoms instead of 1000 than you could divide them into three times 333. But the chair would not be 1, but 999.

The concept of a third being .33333333 is only efficient because in the real world it doesn't matter that you have an almost infinite small inequality in the parts you divide. But in reality a third is not .33333333 etc. A perfect third of 1 does not exist in the physical world.

I hope this was more coherent.

I'm pretty sure the correct answer is 12. Seriously.

TS sometimes people....stupid people put a video or a page on the internet claiming to have an "interesting" or "superior" knowledge than everybody else.... many times the information is interesting... but many times too the video is done by...... well by an idiot... an idiot who took some random info probably from the internet as well so he could make himself a video to look intelligent, and so that some other people maybe like you would think he is intelligent as well.

Sure for ramdom idiots who work on a supermarket 0.999 is one.

Right. You can never find the difference between .99999999- and 1, if the .9999- goes on for infinity. So the difference would be .000000000- with a 01 on the end that NEVER comes.. So if the 1 never comes, than technically there is no difference. Infinity is beyond our comprehension IMO.. Although sometimes in deep thought I feel it, and I realize thing like time is impossible because there would have been an infinite amount of time before we were born, meaning we were never born.. And other things.

.999=1. It's the same as 1 divided by infinity equals zero. Think of it this way, how big is the space between .999 and 1. Since the 9s repeat to infinity it must be an infinitely small number. What is an infinitely small number? A number that no other number can be smaller than. The only number that is that small is zero. So 1-.999=0, then 1=.999.

.999=1. It's the same as 1 divided by infinity equals zero. Think of it this way, how big is the space between .999 and 1. Since the 9s repeat to infinity it must be an infinitely small number. What is an infinitely small number? A number that no other number can be smaller than. The only number that is that small is zero. So 1-.999=0, then 1=.999.

Yes..

This may actually delve into some deeper mathematical issues. Maybe the "potential" for the 01 to pop up is the difference. That may not be a real measurable difference, but a difference in the probability/quantum realm. When I mentioned the fact that it is kind of mathatically impossible for us to be here because there would have to be an infinite amount of time before we were born, that would mean we were born at the end of infinity. WE are examples of the 01 popping up somewhere along the line of infinity.

Think about it, of you start the 999999 backwards from the time you were born they would go infinitely to the decimal point, it would never come. But you are the change. I guess in the face of infinity normal math just breaks down.

I'd just like to say that in spite of the usual shenanigans we all play, the Mayberry always impresses me with how deep it can take these kinds of topics. I know where I stand on this, but some of you have certainly opened my brain up to how it can be interpreted in both ways.

If there's infinitely many zeros then the thing you add to .999... to make it equal to 1 is zero, therefore it is one.

ggnore.

That's what I was saying. .000...1 never reaches the 1, so it's equal to zero.

1 - .999... = .000...1 is the same thing as
1 - .999... = 0

Making 1 = .999...

Right. You can never find the difference between .99999999- and 1, if the .9999- goes on for infinity. So the difference would be .000000000- with a 01 on the end that NEVER comes.. So if the 1 never comes, than technically there is no difference. Infinity is beyond our comprehension IMO.. Although sometimes in deep thought I feel it, and I realize thing like time is impossible because there would have been an infinite amount of time before we were born, meaning we were never born.. And other things.

First, there isn't an infinite amount of time before the present. There was no such thing as time before the Big Bang, which was 13.75 billion years ago. Even if time was infinite it wouldn't preclude 'now' from happening.

First, there isn't an infinite amount of time before the present. There was no such thing as time before the Big Bang, which was 13.75 billion years ago. Even if time was infinite it wouldn't preclude 'now' from happening.

I understand they say that. But if there could have been a person to observe in the ether, they may been able to record time. In the current theory of the "bubble" universes with the "membranes" running into one another in some fashion causing bi bangs, it leads me to believe there would be some form of observable time in some fashion before our own big bang. I understand the concept that all that is or ever was exists within the bubble of our space time, at least from the perspective of someone inside the space time, but I get the feeling that lot of it has to do with the possibility to observe as to whether time is "passing."

Back