.99999999 = 1?

Wow. I never thought of it that way. You've changed my world view.

Translation: You're wrong.

Even if you graphed .999(repeating), it would never reach 1. EVER. You could have the calculation running for a million years, and .999 would never reach 1.

Oh mah gehd, such incredible mathmatical proof you have here, my friend. So you refused to look at actual proofs because your mind can't deal with the concept?

Here is plenty of hard, purely logical proofs in both algebraic and analytic fashion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...

Go read it about before trying to use your caveman math

I've seen this discussed before and came to the conclusion that it's just semantics. Is there any practical example of why differentiating the two would actually matter other than winning an argument?

I've seen this discussed before and came to the conclusion that it's just semantics. Is there any practical example of why differentiating the two would actually matter other than winning an argument?

It's pretty much proved in many, many ways. Basically what we have is a bunch of smartass morons being tricked by mah notation.

Yes. One of these has to be absolutely correct, and people can't agree. Experts say they're equal. The actual numbers demonstrate they are not. Semantics are going to be a player in something like this, but that doesn't make it less interesting. At the end of it all, some people may have discovered an interesting way to look at numbers.

Oh mah gehd, such incredible mathmatical proof you have here, my friend. So you refused to look at actual proofs because your mind can't deal with the concept?

Here is plenty of hard, purely logical proofs in both algebraic and analytic fashion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...

Go read it about before trying to use your caveman math

Much smarter people than the both of us disagree on the matter.

But hey, pretend like you have some intellectual superiority because Wikipedia comes to a conclusion that I don't.

This whole thread is based on a mistake by Yompton when he watched the video.

The guy IN THE VIDEO says 1>.999(repeating/barred) is the misconception, and that the correct answer actually IS 1=.999(repeating/barred){<---he's saying this is correct]

You saw his answer and thought it was the misconception (the two look very similar)

Sorry Yomp. You're a cool dude, though, and I forgive you like Jesus asked me to

It was just a poorly written OP. In my defense my head was flustered after doing some research on the subject

All potential numbers are just a portion of one. Infinity makes it so. You either have 1, or zero.

Yes. One of these has to be absolutely correct, and people can't agree. Experts say they're equal. The actual numbers demonstrate they are not. Semantics are going to be a player in something like this, but that doesn't make it less interesting. At the end of it all, some people may have discovered an interesting way to look at numbers.

The numbers are equal, therefore the same even if written in different ways. It's like saying that 3/3 isn't 1.

And this matter is solved for more than the 200 hundred years already.

And I feel kinda dumb for falling for Whisky trolling. :redface:

1/3 is just slightly higher than .333333

So no, .9999999 isn't 1.

The numbers are equal, therefore the same even if written in different ways. It's like saying that 3/3 isn't 1.

And this matter is solved for more than the 200 hundred years already.

And I feel kinda dumb for falling for Whisky trolling. :redface:

But if you divide 3 by 3 you get 1, not .9ers. The math works for one, not the other

But if you divide 3 by 3 you get 1, not .9ers. The math works for one, not the other

If you multiply 1/3 by 3 you get 1, but 1/3 is also 0.333..., and that x3 is 0.999...

Therefore 0.999...=1

If you multiply 1/3 by 3 you get 1, but 1/3 is also 0.333..., and that x3 is 0.999...

Therefore 0.999...=1

This shit is crazy. There must be a flaw somewhere, and there's been a few decent proposals in both here and the older thread. Infinity truly is a mess

man some of you guys are fucking gay and overthink this shit

just round up to one

This shit is crazy. There must be a flaw somewhere, and there's been a few decent proposals in both here and the older thread. Infinity truly is a mess

Euler bones cracks a little everytime a sherdogger tries to prove him wrong.

it approaches 1

if u take calc ull know (cant touch this Asymptote)

its like if u divide by infinite, it approaches 0 or if u divide by 0 ull approach infinite

The limit approaches 1. Or geometric series is 1, I forget.

As someone posted earlier its a semantics argument.

Back