9 Year Old Deadlifts 230lbs

He definitely looks like he’s started on the American diet of champions at a young age. Strong parenting.

Neat, but given his physical limitations he’s no Sherdogger. Get back to us when your 6’4” kid
and DL 650......

Neat, but given his physical limitations he’s no Sherdogger. Get back to us when your 6’4” kid
and DL 650......
This. 230 is girly weight lmao. Thats barely over 2 plates. Im 7’5 497 lb 3% bodyfat. I deadlift 2500 lb for reps bro.

My junior high math teacher said that it's a bad idea to lift before the age of 14. I forget his reasoning but he said that you could screw up your development. Is that true or not really?

My junior high math teacher said that it's a bad idea to lift before the age of 14. I forget his reasoning but he said that you could screw up your development. Is that true or not really?

There may be some truth to it but I certainly don't have the hard science to back it up. I look at high level gymnasts and wonder to myself, "Are they at that level because they are naturally smaller in stature and those are the proportions that succeed in that sport........or has training intensely from a very young age altered their development?" I guess it makes sense that you could close your growth plates early if you've placed a crazy amount of stress on your bones at such a crucial point in your development.

I don't know that there's ever been any studies but all those famous strong kids who go viral all turn out to be kinda small and unimpressive as they get older. I wouldn't let my kid lift that early, personally

No, that's horseshit. However, lifting before puberty is a waste of time IMO. China's weightlifting program is the most successful in the world and they recruit children based on vertical jump but don't let them touch actual weights until they hit puberty. They're drilling with an unweighted stick or an empty bar to gain technical proficiency instead.

There may be some truth to it but I certainly don't have the hard science to back it up. I look at high level gymnasts and wonder to myself, "Are they at that level because they are naturally smaller in stature and those are the proportions that succeed in that sport........or has training intensely from a very young age altered their development?" I guess it makes sense that you could close your growth plates early if you've placed a crazy amount of stress on your bones at such a crucial point in your development.
screenshot-completeperformancecoaching-com-2020-01-29-22-25-26.png

It's like looking at an NBA game and concluding that playing basketball increases height.

No, that's horseshit. However, lifting before puberty is a waste of time IMO. China's weightlifting program is the most successful in the world and they recruit children based on vertical jump but don't let them touch actual weights until they hit puberty. They're drilling with an unweighted stick or an empty bar to gain technical proficiency instead.
Isn't China known for giving steroids to their athletes even when they're still developing?

https://time.com/4465661/china-olympics-weightlifting-doping/

https://www.dw.com/en/systematic-do...ic-games-revealed-by-former-doctor/a-41065227

No more than anyone else is. What does that have to do with their current recruitment and training practices?

Competitive lifting is a skill, one that needs to be honed and practiced to improve. And developing the mobility as soon as possible helps the lifter through their future career.

A junior high math teacher from 20+ years ago definitely sounds like an authoritative source on the subject.

“Is that true or not really?”

Just another one of those “fuck googling for myself” moments, eh?

A junior high math teacher from 20+ years ago definitely sounds like an authoritative source on the subject.

“Is that true or not really?”

Just another one of those “fuck googling for myself” moments, eh?
Typical Jim post saying nothing informative. I never claimed that he was a reliable source of fitness info.

I can speak freely on a forum and ask for input from others. What's the point of even posting and asking questions here? Just google it!

Snobby dumbass

Typical Jim post saying nothing informative. I never claimed that he was a reliable source of fitness info.

I can speak freely on a forum and ask for input from others. What's the point of even posting and asking questions here? Just google it!

Snobby dumbass
There's "speaking freely" and then there is spewing discredited nonsense. You're doing the latter. Lifting is no more dangerous than sprinting, and the dumbass boomers that repeat this urban myth are just contributing to the culture of ignorance that you indulge in.

Might as well make a thread about spot reducing fat from trouble spots next.

There's "speaking freely" and then there is spewing discredited nonsense. You're doing the latter. Lifting is no more dangerous than sprinting, and the dumbass boomers that repeat this urban myth are just contributing to the culture of ignorance that you indulge in.

Might as well make a thread about spot reducing fat from trouble spots next.
Spewing ignorance would be if I asserted that it was true. It was a question. Snobby attitudes up in here, ie. 'Omfg, did you really just ask that shit? You sound so ignorant. Next time Google before you freely ask about or discuss something you read or heard before.'

Other people might be wondering the same thing. You upset because I didn't acknowledge your stupid post which didn't really relate to the question?

Spewing ignorance would be if I asserted that it was true. It was a question. Snobby attitudes up in here, ie. 'Omfg, did you really just ask that shit? You sound so ignorant. Next time Google before you freely ask about or discuss something you read or heard before.'

Other people might be wondering the same thing. You upset because I didn't acknowledge your stupid post which didn't really relate to the question?
This forum has a high tolerance for idiocy, but you're testing its limits with the blind stupidity you repeat in here. You're turning this forum into the misc circa 2001.

This forum has a high tolerance for idiocy, but you're testing its limits with the blind stupidity you repeat in here. You're turning this forum into the misc circa 2001.
Not really. It's a common viewpoint and I simply asked if it had any merit, not giving it any credence.

You're just doubling down at this point because I nailed you and Jimmy on your elitist attitude. You totally could have answered the question without being a dick about it, but instead chose the 'omg, did you really just ask that? Google next time before you ask anything'

In spite of not knowing for certain about growth plates and lifting, I'd probably spank your ass in certain aspects of fitness. I bet you're covered in cheetos while you pump out your shitposts.

Not really. It's a common viewpoint and I simply asked if it had any merit, not giving it any credence.

You're just doubling down at this point because I nailed you and Jimmy on your elitist attitude. You totally could have answered the question without being a dick about it, but instead chose the 'omg, did you really just ask that? Google next time before you ask anything'

In spite of not knowing for certain about growth plates and lifting, I'd probably spank your ass in certain aspects of fitness. I bet you're covered in cheetos while you pump out your shitposts.
Elitist attitude? No one has believed that lifting is harmful to children for a generation. You were politely corrected at first and then chose to argue like a blustering buffoon because your ego was bruised. Just tuck your dick and turn around.

Elitist attitude? No one has believed that lifting is harmful to children for a generation. You were politely corrected at first and then chose to argue like a blustering buffoon because your ego was bruised. Just tuck your dick and turn around.
That's what you're into.

2 others in the thread claimed to have heard the same stuff. You're the one posturing to protect your sherdog image. Kind of pathetic.

I'll continue to post what I like. You and Jim can keep coming in with your snarky replies if that's what you enjoy.

Back