Social 9.7% of US housing units are vacant.

I imagine it would just shift my burden to a tax one, but I hear what you are saying about UBI, perhaps it creates a net positive effect on the economy. Still not sure that's the society I want to live in though, one where an able bodied person can choose not to work and be rewarded to such an extent. Just feels wrong to me. I understand there are lots of people struggling and it's not really their fault, but the deadbeats and addicts ruin it for everyone. I'm sorry but I just can't tolerate giving them money with no strings attached.
So, no matter how many other people such a program might help, fuck them because of a few deadbeats?

I imagine it would just shift my burden to a tax one, but I hear what you are saying about UBI, perhaps it creates a net positive effect on the economy. Still not sure that's the society I want to live in though, one where an able bodied person can choose not to work and be rewarded to such an extent. Just feels wrong to me.
i appreciate admitting that you can’t genuinely justify that with any moral or economical reasoning.
I understand there are lots of people struggling and it's not really their fault, but the deadbeats and addicts ruin it for everyone. I'm sorry but I just can't tolerate giving them money with no strings attached.
and there we go again. everyone’s a deadbeat loser because they don’t wanna break their back for some CEO in a suit and tie. gotta love it.

So, no matter how many other people such a program might help, fuck them because of a few deadbeats?

I know it sounds bad, but kinda yeah. Or rather I'd want to look at people who need it on a case by case basis as opposed to it being "universal". Them only being a few is a bit of a canard imo. There are many.

tf is there to discuss? these are all vacant properties that Americans would rather watch rot for nothing than give to someone in need.

Typical millenial; give me, give me. Get off your lazy ass and earn what you have. Glad I'll be dead before this generation destroys the US.

A sizable portion is probably in the Rust Belt.

Doesn’t matter how much vacant housing you have if it isn’t in New York, California, Miami, etc. where housing prices are skyrocketing due to a scarcity in housing. (Which is completely artificial in California and to some extent artificial in Miami, supposing that you don’t care about the Everglades)

How is is artificial in California etc? I’m truly curious, not looking for a fight. I thought the market dictates price. In order for it to artificially elevated would mean price fixing.

Typical millenial; give me, give me. Get off your lazy ass and earn what you have. Glad I'll be dead before this generation destroys the US.
we’re glad too ;)

die knowing you worked yourself to death to make a rich man richer. makes no difference to me.

if everyone gets a free house, why the fuck would Bob’s free house become the tent city? everyone else got one too.

in this situation, the homeowner would be the government, and yes, if the inhabitant can’t pay it.

the vast majority of homeless people are the friend crashing on the couch, not some supposed mythical drug lord who just doesn’t feel like paying for anything.

in the case of homeless drug addicts, yes, i agree. establishing one of these homes into a treatment program for homeless drug addicts is also a great option. i agree.

well if no information exists, why speculate anything? you can’t give me some bullshit “they’re all boarded up drug dens” and then pull the “neither of us know anything about these homes!” card right after lmao
If the vast majority are already on someone's couch, sounds like it's already covered.

That is what a vacant house means. No sign of occupancy and in disrepair with no basic maintenance done.

The states with the highest percentages of abandoned houses are Maine, Vermont and Alaska. You think these hobos are going to relocate from LA and San Francisco to the woods of the coldest states in the country with no car, no job, no friends or relatives, nobody around to ask for money from?

i appreciate admitting that you can’t genuinely justify that with any moral or economical reasoning.

and there we go again. everyone’s a deadbeat loser because they don’t wanna break their back for some CEO in a suit and tie. gotta love it.

It's a bit rooted in selfishness I admit. I had to break my back to provide a nice home for my family so why shouldn't you have to do the same? That's how a world with finite resources works unfortunately.

I know it sounds bad, but kinda yeah. Or rather I'd want to look at people who need it on a case by case basis as opposed to it being "universal". Them only being a few is a bit of a canard imo. There are many.
The data says they're very few in number. And so what if it is a delightfully vague "many"? You're seriously going to deny help to someone who needs it just to deny the undeserving.

Are you either Christian, or conservative, or both, by some chance?

The data says they're very few in number. And so what if it is a delightfully vague "many"? You're seriously going to deny help to someone who needs it just to deny the undeserving.

Are you either Christian, or conservative, or both, by some chance?
Maybe there aren't specifics but generally speaking, if not for some drug dependency where ones life spirals out of control, what are the majority of circumstances that would make a person homeless?

My question isn't framed to make it seem as if there aren't other realistic variables at play here but I'm curious to hear what those variables might be.

Maybe there aren't specifics but generally speaking, if not for some drug dependency where ones life spirals out of control, what are the majority of circumstances that would make a person would be homeless?
not being able to afford a home, i reckon.

Or in places the auto industry has abandoned. While the number seems staggering, there's other variables to consider as well. Would a homeless person in California be willing to relocate to Detroit?
Yeah Michigan is part of the Rust Belt, it’s a descriptor of the parts of the Midwest which have been hollowed out due to the loss of American manufacturing.

we’re glad too ;)

die knowing you worked yourself to death to make a rich man richer. makes no difference to me.

I made myself richer, without anyone giving it to me. Have some pride you lazy sack of shit........

How is is artificial in California etc? I’m truly curious, not looking for a fight. I thought the market dictates price. In order for it to artificially elevated would mean price fixing.
It’s artificially high because for many reasons, new housing is not built in California. Some of it is due to protected land, much of it is due to local municipalities just not approving new housing.

Texas by contrast has had no such increase in prices because there is little regulation and you can build housing just about anywhere. Houston doesn’t even have zoning laws, IIRC.

Consequently, Californians have some of the worst prices and shortages of housing, Texans are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I made myself richer, without anyone giving it to me. Have some pride you lazy sack of shit........
i promise you no one cares. you can suck your own dick about it all you like but it means absolutely nothing.

Back