7 months into BJJ training 2-3 times a week. Where should I be?

I found at around 8 months I was starting to concentrate on keeping a dominant position and not worry too much about knowing a lot of submissions. I wasn't obsessed with getting the tap, or tapping out. It was more about pacing.

It must have been the slogan,"position before submission", being drilled into me.

You are where you are. I learned this from some guy but as long as you keep on training, you'll get better. Just keep at it. The day you quit, it will go down hill. So as long as you keep on doing it, it's impossible to get worse.

Where should you be?

On the mat training as much as you can.

Don't force it, enjoy it, don't presure yourself, train hard.

Train more than you think!

Ive trained about 5 months and right now I am at a place where I get beaten by people who trained longer than me and can beat people with less training than me. Hope this helps!

It's going to vary a lot depending on your natural athleticism, size, how aggressive you are, age, etc.

But generally, I see people start to really enjoy BJJ at around 6 months (again, a lot depends on the person and his circumstances). For some guys, it's the first time they don't feel lost when rolling.

They may not feel they are progressing against the regular training partners (who are also improving), but find the newbies are easier to handle. By 8 months, many are starting to develop a set of techniques that could be considered an A game.

I see guys begin to make moves work without muscling it or the other guy making a big mistake. In other words, for the first 6-8 months, guys get a submission or a sweep, but they have to spaz to do it. After 6-8 months, they are starting to develop the sensitivity to pull off the move without brute force. As a result, they can roll longer and smoother without gassing out.

If you are feeling these things happening, you are doing great. If not, they will come as long as you train smart and just have faith in the techniques, don't rely on strength. Be sure to ask more experienced training partners for pointers when stuff doesn't work and focus on drilling carefully and not just being on autopilot.

WOW, I'm glad I read this. I just finished my 1st month and am going about 2-3 times a week also and I feel lost when rolling. I hold my own against some of the white belts, but the blue belts and highter make me feel like a child. I've been a Marine and actually used some of the things I've learned in the Corps in real situations and I've always felt dominant and very capable of handling myself. I've never felt controlled and "handled" in a real fight, but when rolling with some the guys in my school, I feel so lost. I try the techniques I've learned in class, but they seldomly work. However my classmates seem to pull em off with ease, LOL. My cardio is horrible also......I thought I was in good shape, but rolling sucks the life out me after about 5 minutes......Glad to read what you posted and that this is the natural course and hopefully over time I'll get good.

You should be tapping out the members of team Garcia on a regular basis and you should possibly be considered a gate-keeper at your academy.

WOW, I'm glad I read this. I just finished my 1st month and am going about 2-3 times a week also and I feel lost when rolling. I hold my own against some of the white belts, but the blue belts and highter make me feel like a child. I've been a Marine and actually used some of the things I've learned in the Corps in real situations and I've always felt dominant and very capable of handling myself. I've never felt controlled and "handled" in a real fight, but when rolling with some the guys in my school, I feel so lost. I try the techniques I've learned in class, but they seldomly work. However my classmates seem to pull em off with ease, LOL. My cardio is horrible also......I thought I was in good shape, but rolling sucks the life out me after about 5 minutes......Glad to read what you posted and that this is the natural course and hopefully over time I'll get good.

They are finishing stuff you are having trouble with because they know the little details that make the subs work without having to use a ton of strength. I used to have trouble finishing certain subs. It's always one little detail that someone shows me that fixes it. Concentrate on the details. When you learn a technique, you should know all of the little details well enough to be able to get in front of the class and teach the technique.

Also, it may seem like everyone has much better cardio than you. It may be partially that, but I'm willing to bet the majority of it is due to them staying more calm and using less strength. Over time you just know when using strength to attempt something is pointless and you don't do it. Newer people constantly attempt reversals and subs that can't possibly work, but they don't know any better so they try it anyway and put 110% into it. Think about it next time you are rolling. You will probably notice that the majority of the strength and energy you use accomplished nothing. The more advanced guys don't do that. That's why they can roll much longer without getting tired.

"7 months into BJJ training 2-3 times a week. Where should I be?"

on the matts

Hey I've been training BJJ for around 7-8 months now and wondering where I should be I train technique 2 times a week and do around 2-4 hours rolling and sometimes do Private Lessons on Average around once every fortnight sometimes 2-3 times a fortnight. What should I be looking for in my technique? my teacher said I need to be looking to transition as much as possible which I'm understanding now but I feel like I'm not progressing but this could be due to me just taking a fortnight off due to an injury and just getting back into it. Any advice?

That's a solid fortnight blast folks!

Dude you are wherever your instructor has placed you...

You are where you are. I learned this from some guy but as long as you keep on training, you'll get better. Just keep at it. The day you quit, it will go down hill. So as long as you keep on doing it, it's impossible to get worse.

What this guy said!

I am not a big fan of getting privates from your own instructor but If you have money for privates, go for it.

so overall, how often do you train per week? 2 times if I count techniques + roll as one class?

Your instructor should be the person you get the most privates from. They're the ones that know your technique the best and what you should be working on the most. In saying that, sometimes it's good to get a different set of eyes to look over your technique cos after awhile, even small mistakes become "normalised". I took a private while on holiday, didn't learn technique I didn't know already however the instructor did pick up mistakes that I'd been making for years

Your instructor should be the person you get the most privates from. They're the ones that know your technique the best and what you should be working on the most. In saying that, sometimes it's good to get a different set of eyes to look over your technique cos after awhile, even small mistakes become "normalised". I took a private while on holiday, didn't learn technique I didn't know already however the instructor did pick up mistakes that I'd been making for years

to each his own.

but yeah, I am not a big fan of paying an instuctor for "extra" attention, I just feel he should give you that much attention at the first place etc..

In your example, looks like your instructor did not correct your mistakes and you had to pay someone else who gave it more attention.

It seems that privates classes are over sold by greedy instructors (topic which was pointed by Vinicius Magalh

to each his own.

but yeah, I am not a big fan of paying an instuctor for "extra" attention, I just feel he should give you that much attention at the first place etc..

In your example, looks like your instructor did not correct your mistakes and you had to pay someone else who gave it more attention.

It seems that privates classes are over sold by greedy instructors (topic which was pointed by Vinicius Magalh

My instructor is far from greedy he's struggling atm since he's only recently opened up a propper gym 8 months ago. I can see where you're coming from but what I pay for 1 hour is nothing and what I get out of it is insane.

Whoa.. I am not calling your instructor anything.

It is just that your first post regarding your instructor critisizing your transition skills, then suddendly you are starting to talk about privates.

Hum..do you get the hint?

Back