7 months into BJJ training 2-3 times a week. Where should I be?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Passenger, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Passenger Banned Banned

Hey I've been training BJJ for around 7-8 months now and wondering where I should be I train technique 2 times a week and do around 2-4 hours rolling and sometimes do Private Lessons on Average around once every fortnight sometimes 2-3 times a fortnight. What should I be looking for in my technique? my teacher said I need to be looking to transition as much as possible which I'm understanding now but I feel like I'm not progressing but this could be due to me just taking a fortnight off due to an injury and just getting back into it. Any advice?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. Mala Yellow Belt

Well, what's your goal? Are you doing it to stay fit, for fun, for competition? That's what you should ask yourself.

If you feel dissatisfied, then you should reevaluate what you are doing.

3. lechien Gold Belt

I am not a big fan of getting privates from your own instructor but If you have money for privates, go for it.

so overall, how often do you train per week? 2 times if I count techniques + roll as one class?

4. theSkeptiks Blue Belt

You should probably be at least a Purple belt by now.

5. Ergo Orange Belt

Whenever I sleep in my fort I feel extremely well-rested.

Also, I'd say you should be a Red/Black belt by now.

6. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

after 7 months???? probably in TKD or Karate, not going to happen in bjj my friend.

7. Passenger Banned Banned

Well I train BJJ twice a week which is 1 hour of technique and 1 hour of rolling each class plus we do 1-2 hours of rolling on sundays at the moment. I find I learn a lot more in a private lesson technique wise.

8. Mala Yellow Belt

Well, all jokes aside, my uncle WAS a gold belt in tae kwon do bu his 9th month.

And don't be in a rush for it. Let it come and enjoy the training, the rolling, that's the key.

I trained in excess of 20 hours a week at one point, from white to blue. Understanding that it isn't the belt that you should be striving to achieve, but rather enjoying the entire process, will only make you that much better and that much more satisfied.

9. Passenger Banned Banned

I am extremely happy with BJJ I am just curious on where most people where at 8 months. How their technique was and how they were rolling.

10. lechien Gold Belt

ok, so it is 2 classes and 1 open mat per week.

I expect a class to have tech and rolling.

It is not bad at all.

By now you must be having fun.

Can you attend an additional class instead of paying for a privates? they are usually expensive.

11. segfault Orange Belt

It's going to vary a lot depending on your natural athleticism, size, how aggressive you are, age, etc.

But generally, I see people start to really enjoy BJJ at around 6 months (again, a lot depends on the person and his circumstances). For some guys, it's the first time they don't feel lost when rolling.

They may not feel they are progressing against the regular training partners (who are also improving), but find the newbies are easier to handle. By 8 months, many are starting to develop a set of techniques that could be considered an A game.

I see guys begin to make moves work without muscling it or the other guy making a big mistake. In other words, for the first 6-8 months, guys get a submission or a sweep, but they have to spaz to do it. After 6-8 months, they are starting to develop the sensitivity to pull off the move without brute force. As a result, they can roll longer and smoother without gassing out.

If you are feeling these things happening, you are doing great. If not, they will come as long as you train smart and just have faith in the techniques, don't rely on strength. Be sure to ask more experienced training partners for pointers when stuff doesn't work and focus on drilling carefully and not just being on autopilot.

12. lechien Gold Belt

The transition issue: do not worry, it will come with time.

I guess the past 6 months, you were the guy that was just defending and you will get to train on new students for your "transition issue"

13. Passenger Banned Banned

I never had a problem with muscling apart from when i started so the first 3 months I might of muscled but I'm not a huge guy just tall 6'2 and 180-185lbs. Yeah I feel my technique coming along a lot better and I enjoy BJJ more than anything else I've done. I generally wrestle the most skilled student in the class for a good 30+ minutes every time so I will progress. I hardly ever breathe heavy anymore depending on who I go against sometimes my breathing is the same as I have started.

I realize things take time cheers for the advice guys. I'm at the point where I see where to attack in the body too so rather then trying to use strength I see the weakpoint of the body that have give and require little strength to manipulate.

14. King Creatine Purple Belt

Yeah, 7 months is a little fast for purple. I got my blue in five, but it took me another five months to get purple.

15. Hillary Brown Belt

Stop worrying about it. Do BJJ for the love of the sport, not so you can wear a baby-blue piece of cloth.

16. Baconator69** Banned Banned

what the fuck is a fortnight? You should be right where you are grasshopper

17. elbigsam Blue Belt

I would expect you to be at the great whitebelt crossroads. You now know enough to get yourself in trouble by thinking you know something. The trick is to keep telling yourself you don't know shit.

If you were one of my teammates, id learn your name and point you toward some websites and books that I think could help you.

Remember to keep training, keep healthy, and keep thinking about jiu jitsu whenever you can.

18. mouthfromthesth White Belt

I have been training for roughly the same amount of time and I think Im in a good place.
    -I know enough to not ask stupid questions
    - enough to not be scared to ask legit questions
    -enough to no longer just smash why way through things with my strength
    -enough to know that when I get tapped by the new kid that's 10 years younger than me and been training for 3 weeks that it doesn't matter as some people just have a natural aptitude to pick things up faster.

I have seen people start after me and get promoted as well as people who started way before me who have not been.
    Like people have already said Jiu Jitsu should be about personal growth and nothing else.
    If what you care about is how much better you are than everybody else your doing the wrong art.

19. J Sho Green Belt

you could have made blue belt within that time if you had a background in something else or a natural aptitude but if you are a white belt with or without stripes that is probably more likely.

in terms of where you should be, just make sure you have decent fundamentals and don't go down the rabbit hole of scouring youtube for reverse flying inverted spinning gogoplatas.

20. jasoncyclops** Red Belt

Woo..you make me jealous(not being sarcastic)
    i trained on and off for 2 years, yet i am still a whitebelt noob