5 pounds by/on Saturday - Desperately Need Help!

JamesArk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, my friend needs to cut from 159 to 154 to make weight for a boxing match on Saturday. The problems are:

1. He's weighing in 2 hours before the fight takes place, so massive dehydration is not looking like a great choice.

2. He only found out about this fight on Wednesday. He had been training and cutting for weeks for another fight but it was called off, so he went off his diet briefly and stopped training as hard.

If he doesnt make weight, he doesn't fight(or so says the promoter), and he definitely doesn't want to gas.

Any advice on how we can save his cardio and make the weight?

So he wants to make weight in three days but he doesn't want to cut water.

Uh ... Cut a hand off?

Sweating off five pounds isn't "massive dehydration." It's 45 minutes in shorts on the treadmill, or about twenty in the sauna in sweats. Sweat it off and have some Pedialyte right after he steps off the scale. Not perfect, but there's not a lot of other ways to drop five pounds in 72 hours.

Is he an amateur fighter? If so, he probably needs to make 152...

Theres a great thread on weight cutting in the D&S FAQ

So he wants to make weight in three days but he doesn't want to cut water.

Uh ... Cut a hand off?

Sweating off five pounds isn't "massive dehydration." It's 45 minutes in shorts on the treadmill, or about twenty in the sauna in sweats. Sweat it off and have some Pedialyte right after he steps off the scale. Not perfect, but there's not a lot of other ways to drop five pounds in 72 hours.

45 minutes on a treadmill? At what speed?

is 5lbs a lot to sweat off?

He thinks he'll gas if he has to rehydrate 5 pounds in 2 hours. First Amateur fight so he has zero experience with cutting weight, and he's already worked his ass off since yesterday to come down from 163.

I think he's pretty fucked unless he wants to shed that last 5 in water weight, we'll see what happens.

In my experience, if everything isn't planned out and well-prepared, you should not take the fight. That's my understanding of it. And yeah, the stickies here are great for the weight cutting and they helped me through Judo and San Shou competition.
That said, I would abort the fight.

Bump just for the sake of it, but he kicked ass tonight BTW.

He does NOT have a choice but lose the weight in water weight. Just dont overdue it but 5lbs isn't really much at ALL!! cut out sodium, carbs and no water till after weight ins...

Back