5/3/1 Front Squat Progression

Tosa: To clarify, you think that i should to some heavy-ass front squats after deadlifts? I like the idea myself, as added intensity really won't be a problem, but it makes it less assistance-like... again, i like it! But i don't think i can call it 5/3/1 after that, for fear that Wendler will come to my house and...i don't know. Deadlift me.

Assistance doesn't have to be light, it just has to be assistance (I.e. secondary to the main lifts). Just dial back the intensity so the weight is something you can do for solid reps after deadlifts, and it doesn't get in the way of your back squats. You can do more reps (ex. 6x5) if you really want, but I prefer to keep reps low on front squats.

Assistance doesn't have to be light, it just has to be assistance (I.e. secondary to the main lifts). Just dial back the intensity so the weight is something you can do for solid reps after deadlifts, and it doesn't get in the way of your back squats. You can do more reps (ex. 6x5) if you really want, but I prefer to keep reps low on front squats.

I will do exactly as you first suggested, and do 5 * 3 front squats on deadlift day. We'll see how it goes. Thank you all for helping to answer my questions!

Just to throw another bit of experience out there.

When I did the 5/3/1 scheme last year, my main was squat and afterwards my assistance was FS. I used 3 x 8 - 10. By the end I was doing 85 kg after my main lift and the squat ended up at 130 for 10 (for the 5 rep set). That was 4 cycles worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back