Is showing up just to collect paychecks any better than throwing fights?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So I think we need to talk about this. Im kinda curious what people think.

I have been a guy who really thought highly of Ben through his entire career. Still think Ben would wipe the floor with Mas 9 out of 10 times. I still think he wouldve beaten Colby. And give a tough fight to Usman. And wipe the floor with Khabib. And present tricky challenge to GSP.

So naturally I thought Askren would come through. Against a stronger, bigger, younger, more technically sound boxer with likely biases reffing and judging if it comes to it. Well reffing probably def played part.

But Ben is saying how he has been saying he didnt care if he lost or not. And his own sparring partner thought he was out of shape, though Sonnen said otherwise.

I dont think thats right. If Ben really came for a million dolllar and legit came giving no fuck what happened, how is that ethical? Is that any better than throwing a fight?

I mean Ben said himself that he was carrying the promotion and I dont know if he said if he doesnt care about the outcome maybe he did but it is 110 percent true that Ben was acting all the way through he was coming to beat Paul, and in his own words 7th round tko.

But if he was out of shape enough to a point where his own sparring partner was saying he was out of shape, and didnt care what happened but fought just for money and fun, is that ethical?

Thats pretty sick in my opinion. Thats not right, or is it?

In this particular case, I don’t mind Ben not really caring. It was simple for a paycheck and what retired fighter wouldn’t have done the same? That event was such a circus from the commentary to the performances....

Ethics and class were the last things going through my mind regarding the event. Is it ethically wrong to just grab the bag to collect the paycheck? Probably. Did it matter in this particular case? Nah...Happy for Ben getting paid.

In this particular case, I don’t mind Ben not really caring. It was simple for a paycheck and what retired fighter wouldn’t have done the same? That event was such a circus from the commentary to the performances....

Ethics and class were the last things going through my mind regarding the event. Is it ethically wrong to just grab the bag to collect the paycheck? Probably. Did it matter in this particular case? Nah...Happy for Ben getting paid.

How is it better than fixing fights?

There's no rule saying athletes have to care. As long as they are still trying to win on fight night, I don't see any issue with it.

Ben has a very nonchalant attitude and a great outlook on life, but I still think he cared a lot more than he let on. Nobody wants to get KO'd by a douchebag YouTuber. Ben really wanted to win that fight whether he admits it or not. He's just a really terrible boxer, it is what it is.

"that's pretty sick" lmfaoo being a lil dramatic are we? Showing up for a check and throwing a fight do not necessarily equate to the same thing. I'm sure if Ben could of won and not get ktfo he would have.

There's no rule saying athletes have to care. As long as they are still trying to win on fight night, I don't see any issue with it.

Ben has a very nonchalant attitude and a great outlook on life, but I still think he cared a lot more than he let on. Nobody wants to get KO'd by a douchebag YouTuber. Ben really wanted to win that fight whether he admits it or not. He's just a really terrible boxer, it is what it is.

Maybe that makes more sense.

"that's pretty sick" lmfaoo being a lil dramatic are we? Showing up for a check and throwing a fight do not necessarily equate to the same thing. I'm sure if Ben could of won and not get ktfo he would have.

How are they different?

Well that sounds pretty sick thing to do man

Ben tried .....he just sucks at boxing ....his only chance was to survive early and take over late .....he didn’t survive Early

Lol do you really need a break down of the differences? Is critical thinking lost upon you? Not caring about a fight and actively intentionally losing? C mon my guy.....

Both are going to end up in you losing?

I think this guy might have been spot on in hindsight. Imagine having tried and losing to Jake Paul..I guess you might be 100 percent right

I have been a guy who really thought highly of Ben through his entire career.

giphy.gif

Ben legimately thought he was going to win, at the same time I'm sure he was well aware of the possibility of getting knocked out. I do believe he trained and put in some effort but obviously not nearly enough, he should have been with Roach for the entire duration of the camp and he should have had some more sparring. He overlooked Paul, just like he overlooked Masvidal.

Ben also just has no natural talent for striking, he doesn't have that type of ability. He is rather slow, not a fast twitch type athlete, he has more muscle agility & insane strength which works for many sports, but not boxing.

At the end of the day, Askrens fighting career was over long before this, he probably should have stopped before the UFC. He is now setup for life, as low as losing to a youtuber is, it's far more embarrassing and tragic when ex prize fighters have to fight well into their 40's relying on name recognition alone just to get enough to scrap by, because their career or money was piss poor managed. Askren has his life, his family, his interests, his financials and his wrestling to falll back on. Most fighters don't have that success story after retirement.

Last edited:
So I think we need to talk about this. Im kinda curious what people think.

I have been a guy who really thought highly of Ben through his entire career. Still think Ben would wipe the floor with Mas 9 out of 10 times. I still think he wouldve beaten Colby. And give a tough fight to Usman. And wipe the floor with Khabib. And present tricky challenge to GSP.

So naturally I thought Askren would come through. Against a stronger, bigger, younger, more technically sound boxer with likely biases reffing and judging if it comes to it. Well reffing probably def played part.

But Ben is saying how he has been saying he didnt care if he lost or not. And his own sparring partner thought he was out of shape, though Sonnen said otherwise.

I dont think thats right. If Ben really came for a million dolllar and legit came giving no fuck what happened, how is that ethical? Is that any better than throwing a fight?

I mean Ben said himself that he was carrying the promotion and I dont know if he said if he doesnt care about the outcome maybe he did but it is 110 percent true that Ben was acting all the way through he was coming to beat Paul, and in his own words 7th round tko.

But if he was out of shape enough to a point where his own sparring partner was saying he was out of shape, and didnt care what happened but fought just for money and fun, is that ethical?

Thats pretty sick in my opinion. Thats not right, or is it?
Face it, Askren = .........
upload_2021-4-19_20-49-38.jpeg

Back