Should Paul Felder Retire? His Four-Year-Old Is Breaking His Heart [Update: I Changed My Mind]

Should Paul Felder retire?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Paul Felder . . . has a flourishing career as a UFC commentator and analyst, and that work has been something Felder has juggled alongside his fighting career. At 34, Felder has said many times that he would only continue to compete as long as he felt fighting for a UFC title was realistic.

Capture-3.png

“Man, I got a 4-year-old at home that misses me every time I go away like this,” Felder said, holding back tears during his octagon interview with Dan Hardy. “I don’t know. But congratulations to Dan. I knew this is exactly what I was in for when I came here to New Zealand. I pissed this guy off, and when you piss off a talented guy like Dan, he’s gonna bring it to you.

“Man, that was fun, brother. Five rounds going at it. I’m not sure (what’s next), you know. I’ll still go back, I’ll talk to my family, but it was an absolute honor to share the octagon for 25 minutes with this guy.”

“His retirement comments were in the moment,” Felder’s head coach, Duke Roufus, told MMA Junkie, “Paul’s not done.”

“Paul will be back,” Brian Butler, his manager, said. “He said it to me in the back. … Emotions run high, but Paul knows he won that fight and is not hanging it up just yet.”

“I knew it was close,” Felder said. “I feel like I hurt him a lot in the fight, but he got the takedowns, which is smart. He busted me up pretty good. That might be it for me.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...elder-contemplates-retirement-dan-hooker-loss

Last edited:
I guess anyone who losses should basically retire nowadays!

Yes. He will have a great career commentating

I guess anyone who losses should basically retire nowadays!

He left his gloves in the octagon which is an impulse decision based off emotions which will change as time goes on.

*Loses

If that's what he wants to do, no point in continuing to beat his body up. He has options outside the cage

I think he still has a lot left and he looks nowhere near done as a fighter, he hasn't been finished by anyone in a very long time. But its his choice, he seems to have a lot of other options.

Up to him but seeing how much it really eats him up leaving his family and not being around to watch his daughter grow up I will say to him if I were his mate, dude time to hang em up.

Obviously it's his choice and I'm sure he's already financially secure so there's really no point of him to keep fighting, but it would be a huge waste of talent IMO.

Felder was always an extremely tough motherfucker, so it's good to see him getting the credit he deserves. This would be a great fight to retire off of.

It’s his call. I’ll support whatever choice he makes. It’s his life.

It was a tough very close loss, that many think he won. Post fight speeches like that are always emotionally fueled.

Obviously his heart is not in it by the the post fight interview. He should do whatever makes him happy.

I think so... It's clear he will never be champion or the biggest draw so why would he keep on?

What is the point of retiring when 99% of the fighters are back within a year?

Well that is really upto him. Would not be mad if he retires if he doesnt would be happy to watch him fight

Yes, only because I'm not very fond of gingers.

I voted yes, but only if he can make a good living doing the color announcing. If he doesn't need a fighting income, why take a beating like he did in this fight? I think he won the fight, but he still took a beating. I hope he makes the right decision for his family, whatever he decides to do. Seems like a good guy.

He was clearly thinking of retirement when Felder fought Barboza. I thought if he lost to Barboza and Felder won this fight. @Pakman how did you score it. I can’t give Hooker three rounds...I don’t care about the takedown but I’m more of a damage guy.

While Felder looked like he got the worse of it. Hooker ate the bigger shots...I think he did more damage.

It was razor thin and Hooker did have the takedown in the 5th and almost had Felders back in an earlier round. So not mad but Felder impressed me tonight.

I voted yes because I hope he can do MMA analysis and commentary, maybe some couching on the side. He's a great commentator and I hope he could get paid enough by these little side gigs so he could enjoy more time with his daughter.

Back