My OPINION: Stephen A. Smith is good if not dare I say GREAT for the sport!!!

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Yes I said it. And I stand by it. I challenge ANYONE who says otherwise. He's entertaining and has a proven track record. The only downside is his lack of overall MMA knowledge but that goes for most viewers of the sport. And most don't view the sport all that much.

A fan like myself only wants to see growth for MMA and our athletes. I think Smith only helps our transition into the mainstream. I know there are a few "O.G" fans who wanna keep the sport to themselves but really I question your fanhood.

Besides we are the same fans who have been for years dealing with the often beyond ridiculous quotes and commentary of Joe Rogan, Mike Goldberg, and not to mention our great Uncle Dana Fuckin White!! People bitchin about Stephen A. really need to pull their skirts down because we have heard a lot more blasphemous bullshit from our regular crew.

Last edited:
He’s good at creating hype, which is his job. He’s a disrespectful asshole but he generated a lot of attention

He reminds me of a Dana type. He's good for rating but you dont want to admit it.

Stephen smith was the only part of that UFC event I agreed with. No shilling, real talkin

I’m pretty sure that Cowboy agreed with what Stephen A Smith said as much as anyone. Rogan is Dana’s puppet, I don’t need Joe’s (UFC spin) opinion because I know what he’s going to say. Stephen A is a breath of fresh air and will at least say something unexpected.

He's great

Josef and them are shook of being stuck in an elevator with a Diaz bro

Lol. Come on brother out of our MMA bubble and take a look into the real world. Stephen A. has no need to leech from MMA.
this. he is getting PAID to do this shit, not cause he wants to "steal" attention.

As he gets more and more experienced with MMA and becomes a familiar face, people will start to change their tune on him. Just be patient.

A bunch of people on Sherdog were repeating Smith's points, but because it's Smith himself saying it, they get angry LOL.

MMA is probably benefiting more at the moment from SaS then SaS is from MMA.
Exactly!!! And we would only benefit more if he shows serious interest in our sport more often. Like it or not, people tune in to hear his opinions and what he has to say!!

Smith did one event and he’s already got a buncha people asshurt lol keep the salt coming, it’s hilarious.

Yeah why not, and I would like to see Kellerman and Teddy Atlas get more involved as well. I would just hope that all of them continue to expand their knowledge of MMA.

Uh it's a No from me.

I understand where you're coming from i want the sport to grow as well and gain more mainstream attachment but i think there is a right and wrong way to go about it. It's going to set a bad precedence for the casuals getting into the sport. If casuals took the same mind as Smith, their expectations would be way out of whack. Any time a popular fighter won quick it'd be a fix. Then this fanbase would be the target viewers and your making even more bogus bullshit fights that make no sense to appeal to people don't even understand the sport at it's lowest levels.

It might be good for exposure, but i think it would end up impacting the sport negatively by giving fans expectations that are impossible to live up to, imagine if stephen a smith commented on something like Diaz vs Silva or Ngannou vs lewis. obviously the hard core fans had much different expectations in that bout that what came to fruition, and that's the wonderful thing about this sport it could be a 25 minute war, or a 1 minute squash match. you can't have "expectations" about those kinds of things.

I'm not positive, but it seems as if he is calling bullshit, bullshit.

I agree, but like anything you need a balance. You couldn't just have guys like SAS covering the sport, so they need to be careful Imo. I agree with Joe that compared to most sports, mma has a level of consequences that requires a certain amount of respect at all times.

i don't even know why people are mad that he said Cowboy looked like shit. just because it was an asshole thing to do doesn't mean it wasn't TRUE. then everybody who keeps saying "he doesn't even know how to throw a punch, he shouldn't be talking about a pro fighter" not realizing how much of a fucking hypocrite they're being when they say that.

he's a hype man and good for exposure, he's one of the most popular analysts in sports today. and for people saying "he doesn't know shit about MMA so he shouldn't say nothing" don't take it personal, he doesn't know shit about A LOT of the sports he comments on.

Back