My OPINION: Stephen A. Smith is good if not dare I say GREAT for the sport!!!

Uh it's a No from me.

I understand where you're coming from i want the sport to grow as well and gain more mainstream attachment but i think there is a right and wrong way to go about it. It's going to set a bad precedence for the casuals getting into the sport. If casuals took the same mind as Smith, their expectations would be way out of whack. Any time a popular fighter won quick it'd be a fix. Then this fanbase would be the target viewers and your making even more bogus bullshit fights that make no sense to appeal to people don't even understand the sport at it's lowest levels.

It might be good for exposure, but i think it would end up impacting the sport negatively by giving fans expectations that are impossible to live up to, imagine if stephen a smith commented on something like Diaz vs Silva or Ngannou vs lewis. obviously the hard core fans had much different expectations in that bout that what came to fruition, and that's the wonderful thing about this sport it could be a 25 minute war, or a 1 minute squash match. you can't have "expectations" about those kinds of things.
But Smith never called the fight a fix!!! He basically said he felt Cerrone didn't show up. And that we really did not learn much about Conor as far as improvements go or lack thereof. Those are two perfectly reasonable reactions to have RIGHT AFTER the event.

Beside let's not act like the foul mouth Dana White isn't the face of the organization and basically the sport. Again we have heard much much more ridiculous things spewed from our own Joe Rogan. It's just that when Smith says something it gets more attention.

Overall I feel he respects the fighters and the sport. Most people choose to be ignorant of our sport on their own.

I keep seeing people call him entertaining, but I'm really not feeling entertained when I watch him talk about MMA, it's bad enough when he's on his own show but please keep him off the broadcast.

Smith is a hack. I can’t stand the way he speaks. Someone who hasn’t fought shouldn’t broadcast a fighter quit, bad no heart etc. Conor steamrolled cowboy.

I keep seeing people call him entertaining, but I'm really not feeling entertained when I watch him talk about MMA, it's bad enough when he's on his own show but please keep him off the broadcast.
I've watched him and skip Bayless in their fake arguments a couple of times... Was ridiculous.

Stephen A Smith is BIG time in the sports world so it's very obvious why he's there and it worked. He got people talking.

Let's be honest, Stephen doesn't know MMA enough to be talking about it front of millions of people on these big cards, but ESPN paid him a shit ton of money and he's gonna be on the big cards. ESPN just making sure they're getting their money's worth.

Why would anybody care about anything Stephen has to say about a sport he knows very little about? All he said was that Cowboy didn't show up, which is exactly what everybody was already thinking.

You dont come into the sport you barely have covered and come in talking disrepectful. That just makes you look like a idiot. You can break stuff down and say things without being disrespectful. This isnt basketball or baseball. guys are putting thier health and well being on the line every time out. Nobody is saying cowboy did not perform bad but you dont have to voice it in a disrespectful manner like you are some superior human being who has all the answers. Like out of all the analyst including ex fighter why is it the most green/noob/casual one of them all is the 1 talking the most disrespectful?? thats the issue

If he could just get educated and learn the fight game. I love him when it comes to basketball and football

The way he talks so ignorantly. He will catch hands from a fighter sooner than later.

You dont come into the sport you barely have covered and come in talking disrepectful. That just makes you look like a idiot. You can break stuff down and say things without being disrespectful. This isnt basketball or baseball. guys are putting thier health and well being on the line every time out. Nobody is saying cowboy did not perform bad but you dont have to voice it in a disrespectful manner like you are some superior human being who has all the answers. Like out of all the analyst including ex fighter why is it the most green/noob/casual one of them all is the 1 talking the most disrespectful?? thats the issue
He really wasn't all that disrespectful.
We have had our very own Dana White publicly SHIT on some of the GOAT MMA athletes for putting on performances not to his liking OR for not signing with his organization.

Most of us didn't like it but we got over it. Stephen A. Smith has not even come close.

Whether you personally feel he is entertaining is irrelevant. Some people don't see Conor as one of the GOATS and maybe they couldn't personally care less whether he wins, loses, or fights at all!! But what can not be denied is that when Conor fights, most people tune in. When Smith speaks, most people tune in. That's why they make what they make.
If he could just get educated and learn the fight game. I love him when it comes to basketball and football
True but this will only come from him getting more involved in the sport. And I hope he chooses to do so.

He's just getting shit on for stating the obvious, and having the courage to say it. And it does take real courage to publicly throw a big bucket of ice water on this Conor hype. The fight with Cerrone didn't prove shit. He fought worse than CM Punk did against Mickey Gall.

It's all subjective to your own personal opinions. IE if you also think Cerrone just mentally didn't show up and made the sport looks bad than you probably agree and like what Stepehen A Smith said. If you think it just a one sided beating and doesn't affect the integrity of the sport, than you probably disagree and dislike him.

Stephen is taking the ufc to another level. Get over it!!

Yes I said it. And I stand by it. I challenge ANYONE who says otherwise. He's entertaining and has a proven track record. The only downside is his lack of overall MMA knowledge but that goes for most viewers of the sport. And most don't view the sport all that much.

A fan like myself only wants to see growth for MMA and our athletes. I think Smith only helps our transition into the mainstream. I know there are a few "O.G" fans who wanna keep the sport to themselves but really I question your fanhood.

Besides we are the same fans who have been for years dealing with the often beyond ridiculous quotes and commentary of Joe Rogan, Mike Goldberg, and not to mention our great Uncle Dana Fuckin White!! People bitchin about Stephen A. really need to pull their skirts down because we have heard a lot more blasphemous bullshit from our regular crew.

I agree, but you wrote way too much. All you needed to say is that Smith is ESPN’s most expensive asset and they think he is best positioned to draw in a larger casual audience to their streaming service. That’s it. The end.

It's all subjective to your own personal opinions. IE if you also think Cerrone just mentally didn't show up and made the sport looks bad than you probably agree and like what Stepehen A Smith said. If you think it just a one sided beating and doesn't affect the integrity of the sport, than you probably disagree and dislike him.
I'm sorry but did he actually say the it "affected the integrity of the sport"? Honestly if Conor gets a titleshot from this win it only further brings down the bit of integrity involved.

Not that I would be all that shocked if he does get one. Even in so called "real sports" like NBA basketball, money rules supreme.

Back