Does anyone else think this additional weight class talk is nonsense?

J

Jpenwell14

It would be much more fighter friendly to eliminate weight cutting altogether like in one fc than to add a 165 and 175 weight class and become more like boxing.

As a matter of fact the fights would probably often be better with same day weigh ins. Fighters would just come in shape and not kill themselves for an extra 5 or 10 lbs depending on which weight class you are talking about.

Lhw would be 225. Mw would be 205 and etc etc.

Is there any question Anderson's Silva performed even better at a natty 205? Or that every 155 fighter would perform better with 15 extra lbs?

Hell I'm not sure what gaethje weighs but I believe his might be a case that he either has to actually bulk up or he would be natty holloway weight.

RDA would still be a lightweight. Masvidal would still be a lightweight. Tony might have punching power. Khabib might have a healthier safe career. This nonsense talk about GSP vs khabib would go away. And no more double champs holding up weight division and cherry picking match ups.

Aldo wouldn't look like living death. Frankie would've fought the better part of his career against dillashaw, Cruz etc.

Alot of things would be different and ultimately better imo. Adding weight classes is encouraging a bunch more bull shit to happen.

Edit: stipe in optimal shape would probably be a lhw considering he last weighed in at 230. So we would get Jones vs stipe which everyone wants.

And hw wouldn't be on hold, it would be DC vs Ngannou right now.

"Does anyone else think this additional weight class talk is nonsense?"

*Talks about the benefits of adding additional weight class (165)

<JagsKiddingMe>

Doesn't matter. At some point someone will die cutting weight and they will move to the One Championship model anyway.

And yes, adding weight classes is stupid. Boxing sucks with weight classes every 1 1/2 pounds.

165 is the stupidest shit ever. It would only water down WW and LW and some journeymen like Kevin Lee (or Ben Askren) insist on it because they know that they will never win a title at LW or WW so they want a shallow weight-class where they can actually contend for a belt.

Im not really for more weightclasses.....but as things are now..I wouldnt complain about them evening out the difference between lw to mw, namely a 165 and a 175 instead of just 170

I'd like to see serious weightcutting gone from the sport

I hope they dont add a 165 weight class, that would be awful. LW and WW are fun cause of how stacked they are.

I wouldn't quite use the word "nonsense" since (speaking objectively) a lot of fighters seem to be heavily in favor of more weight classes and their opinion is to be taken the most serious. However, I am personally not a fan of the idea of creating weight classes. You already touch on a good point with Stipe Miocic and I don't quite feel that the weight classes are far enough apart to justify restructuring the divisions. This is very much so my opinion and I am quite frankly a little on the fence about it -- I totally see why others want more weight classes. Somewhat unrelated, but I stand strongly by my opinion that their shouldn't be a cap to heavyweight and that the super heavyweight division shouldn't exist. I reckon it simply is not exactly a heavily argued situation since there aren't many high level fighters that can't make 265.

"Does anyone else think this additional weight class talk is nonsense?"

*Talks about the benefits of adding additional weight class (165)

<JagsKiddingMe>

I did no such thing. If you know anything about one fc you would know lw is 170 and ww is 185

165 is the stupidest shit ever. It would only water down WW and LW and some journeymen like Kevin Lee (or Ben Askren) insist on it because they know that they will never win a title at LW or WW so they want a shallow weight-class where they can actually contend for a belt.

And the worst part is he wouldn't even hold onto it and a double champ pulling cejudo level bull shit would be almost guaranteed

I wouldn't quite use the word "nonsense" since (speaking objectively) a lot of fighters seem to be heavily in favor of more weight classes and their opinion is to be taken the most serious. However, I am personally not a fan of the idea of creating weight classes. You already touch on a good point with Stipe Miocic and I don't quite feel that the weight classes are far enough apart to justify restructuring the divisions. This is very much so my opinion and I am quite frankly a little on the fence about it -- I totally see why others want more weight classes. Somewhat unrelated, but I stand strongly by my opinion that their shouldn't be a cap to heavyweight and that the super heavyweight division shouldn't exist. I reckon it simply is not exactly a heavily argued situation since there aren't many high level fighters that can't make 265.

I agree actually. Even a few more fighters at heavyweight would be more interesting however tbh. Even some bullshit freakshow one offs would be better

Yeah. Specifically having a 165lb weight class when you already have a 170 is bananas.

Jon Jones cuts more weight than Deontay Wilder
Well, Wilder doesnt cut weight, but has fought up to 230lbs (lighter recently) and Jones fights in the low 220's range, they are about the same imo, both a bit too light for MMA HW's as they are now, boxing is a different sport.

No need to cut weight if you just bring back the open weight tournament format.
<seedat>
<{JustBleed}>

Yeah. Specifically having a 165lb weight class when you already have a 170 is bananas.

Remove 170. Add 165 and 175. Enforce stricter hydration rules.

No more ultimate weightcutting championships.

There are too many weight classes already.

Doesn't matter. At some point someone will die cutting weight and they will move to the One Championship model anyway.

And yes, adding weight classes is stupid. Boxing sucks with weight classes every 1 1/2 pounds.
I acutally think if boxing was under one banner the plethora of weight classes wouldn't be as big a problem.

No more weight classes. We have enough watered down nonsense as it is. UFC needs to concentrate on good ole fashion logistics ...... put their fighters in a more happy and content place.

Dana , " upper management " and their draws are in a comfortable and serene place. It seems the fighters are willing to be in a " take it or leave it " mode so who am I to say .Right now, 155 and 145 seem to currently be their crown jewel divisions. Its 2020....ESPN domiciled and things seem " off ". IDK- maybe its me.

Those in favor probably just want more belts and multi-belt champions.

Back