Does anyone else think this additional weight class talk is nonsense?

I acutally think if boxing was under one banner the plethora of weight classes wouldn't be as big a problem.

No, just more people would lose more often and people who aren't actually good would get washed out. All those weight classes would still be dumb.

I actually think it would go more the way of contractual weight agreements mostly

No more weight classes. We have enough watered down nonsense as it is. UFC needs to concentrate on good ole fashion logistics ...... put their fighters in a more happy and content place.

Dana , " upper management " and their draws are in a comfortable and serene place. It seems the fighters are willing to be in a " take it or leave it " mode so who am I to say .Right now, 155 and 145 seem to currently be their crown jewel divisions. Its 2020....ESPN domiciled and things seem " off ". IDK- maybe its me.

145 is a shit show. 155 and 170 are the money divisions imo

I agree actually. Even a few more fighters at heavyweight would be more interesting however tbh. Even some bullshit freakshow one offs would be better
It certainly couldn't hurt -- people always label heavyweight as the unskilled division. I get why, but I feel the overarching issue is that big people just aren't as into fighting as folks that are between 150-175 lbs. I've trained at a lot of MMA gyms (no I'm not some expert or bad ass journeyman, just someone that loves the sport), and I more often than not am far bigger than most people at any given MMA gym, if not everyone -- I'm about 255 ish (out of shape and definitely not 2% body fat like the rest of Sherdog -- I'm 215 when I'm in shape and still usually bigger than almost all folks). On the other hand, I'll go to a gym to lift weights and whatnot, and I'm totally dwarfed by at least a few people each time at any sizable gym. Also, before it seems like I'm trying to flex here, I get humbled by folks of all sizes lol

It would be much more fighter friendly to eliminate weight cutting altogether like in one fc .

lol.. I stopped reading after this.

Please show me one piece of actual evidence that ONE FC have eliminated weight cutting.

Doesn't matter. At some point someone will die cutting weight and they will move to the One Championship model anyway.

What model?

The model that sees all weigh in's conducted in secret, even the fighters dont see their opponent weigh in

The model where no weigh-in results are published...

The model that sees featherweights fighting strawweights at 135?

Colbey-Northcutt-VS-Putri-Padmi-at-ONE-EDGE-OF-GREATNESS-DUX-6450.jpg

ONE FC doesn’t release the hydration tests and they do private weigh ins. Can we stop the ONE fixed weight cutting narrative until we have definitive proof?

The idea is good, but Dana would eat shit for sure. We all know that.

No, just more people would lose more often and people who aren't actually good would get washed out. All those weight classes would still be dumb.

I actually think it would go more the way of contractual weight agreements mostly
I got to imagine losses would become ok then. More like the UFC. A lot of the big names have multiple losses. So that second tier would be appreciated more, I think. But all speculation.

What model?

The model that sees all weigh in's conducted in secret, even the fighters dont see their opponent weigh in

The model where no weigh-in results are published...

The model that sees featherweights fighting strawweights at 135?

Colbey-Northcutt-VS-Putri-Padmi-at-ONE-EDGE-OF-GREATNESS-DUX-6450.jpg

I gotta see a side view to determine about data ass though.

Could just be thicker than a snickers

I gotta see a side view to determine about data ass though.

Could just be thicker than a snickers

Northcutt has fought at 145lb

The Thai girls previous fight was at 115

They didn't let the Thai girl cut weight. Colbey lives outside the country so was not available for hydration testing...

150 and 170 are the most stacked division since forever. Creating 165 and pushing welterweight to 175 would be a brilliant idea. But Dana doesn't want it for some reason.

The new class should be 163. The main reason for it is big LW's fighting small WW's, which opens up some match-ups that are harder to see otherwise.

It would be a more optimal weight for some like RDA, but in practice it would be fighters from both weights hop around divisions to not get cut, which means more roster spots for the mid-to-low tier, which means lower quality MMA. A selected few lasting contenders would chase title shots.

Is the tradeoff worth it given where it leads? Nope. Sounds like chaos to me.

Northcutt has fought at 145lb

The Thai girls previous fight was at 115

They didn't let the Thai girl cut weight. Colbey lives outside the country so was not available for hydration testing...

So what? This is a bad matchup weight-wise that they shouldn't allow. Different than the weigh-in system. Also sounds like they didn't follow through on their system if they let Colbey get by without hydration testing? Again, an exception to their system.

It's like the UFC making an exception for Jones on picograms. It doesn't mean the system is bad, but they aren't following it properly. It's still a lot better than the current "go ahead drop 50 pounds from walk-around to weigh-in, no problem" system.

UFC should adopt (some variation of) ONE's weigh in system, and ONE should adopt UFC's PED testing protocol. The fact that neither has it perfect, and it hasn't solved every problem, doesn't make it worthless.

Aren't we already tired of champs who win belts in multiple divisions and tie up entire weight classes for years because they aren't able to defend multiple belts? More weight classes at smaller intervals just gives too many fighters the ability to fight at too many weight classes, and it gets to the point of why the fuck even bother having weight classes? This also brings up the concept of yet another 1 or 2 more titles and holy shit I think there's enough titles floating around that we don't need anymore.

People are talking about this as a means to minimalism weight cutting, but so far we've seen fighters fight at 170 all the way down to 145...have we seen 170 to 135? The reality is that fighters are going to cut weight until there is a system in place which medically stops them from doing so. You can have all the weight classes you want but that's not going to stop fighters from cutting weight...so I don't see this as a feasible solution or even a stop gap to the current weight cutting insanity.

I dont see a reason that they have to change it. If they dont have to, i doubt they will.

Fighters should all fight at their walk around weight but then we wouldn't get any freak show size differences outside of Heavyweight. Right Now you can have somebody who cuts zero weight vs somebody that cuts 30lbs.

Back