Does anyone else think this additional weight class talk is nonsense?

It would be much more fighter friendly to eliminate weight cutting altogether like in one fc than to add a 165 and 175 weight class and become more like boxing.

As a matter of fact the fights would probably often be better with same day weigh ins. Fighters would just come in shape and not kill themselves for an extra 5 or 10 lbs depending on which weight class you are talking about.

Lhw would be 225. Mw would be 205 and etc etc.

Is there any question Anderson's Silva performed even better at a natty 205? Or that every 155 fighter would perform better with 15 extra lbs?

Hell I'm not sure what gaethje weighs but I believe his might be a case that he either has to actually bulk up or he would be natty holloway weight.

RDA would still be a lightweight. Masvidal would still be a lightweight. Tony might have punching power. Khabib might have a healthier safe career. This nonsense talk about GSP vs khabib would go away. And no more double champs holding up weight division and cherry picking match ups.

Aldo wouldn't look like living death. Frankie would've fought the better part of his career against dillashaw, Cruz etc.

Alot of things would be different and ultimately better imo. Adding weight classes is encouraging a bunch more bull shit to happen.

Edit: stipe in optimal shape would probably be a lhw considering he last weighed in at 230. So we would get Jones vs stipe which everyone wants.

And hw wouldn't be on hold, it would be DC vs Ngannou right now.
Yeah I also think ufc, because of athletic commissions would have to run a tight ship, rehydration wise. We don't know what one fc fighters weigh or hydrated they are because Noone oversees that shit.

Doesn't matter. At some point someone will die cutting weight and they will move to the One Championship model anyway.

And yes, adding weight classes is stupid. Boxing sucks with weight classes every 1 1/2 pounds.
Imagine adding a 165 division and stripping 155 and 170 of contenders to fill it up. Worst idea ever.

Imagine adding a 165 division and stripping 155 and 170 of contenders to fill it up. Worst idea ever.

155 and 170 are currently flooded you could easily make that division with little effect..

Blood based hydration tests can't be gamed (at least not that I know of).

a pain in the arse for the athletes (and still not possible to be testing 700 athletes worldwide on a regular basis)

Yes. They are. Half the people who argue against 165 can’t even connect those 2 dots.

--If they add 165–They move 170 to 175

Of course, that does nothing for the problem of weight cutting which the OP seems to link to all this,

The division in the UFC with the worst rate of weight misses is the division that was created because the gap between womens 115 and 135 was too big..

No reason to think 165 would be any different.

Back