Biggest gatekeeper @ UFC ?

UFC GOAT Gatekeeper is

• Total voters
I think it's Barboza and i say that with the utmost respect.
He seems to beat anyone's ass who's not on the highest level, while also losing to the uppest echelon of fighters at 155.

Last edited:
Definitely Stephens. Cowboy actually fought for a title at one point. Honourable mention to Uriah Hall.

recency bias in this poll

the goat gatekeeper is Clay Guida

Till and Leon Scott got name recognition from beating Cowboy, Till even got a title shot shortly after. Masvidal got into a title eliminator fight vs Maia after beating Cowboy. Tony and Gaethje are now title challenging names at LW. Conor as well. I'm going with him.

But, man, MJ's a good second pick. Brought Gaethje his first UFC glory, put Khabib on the map, was the fight that made Nate relevant again and welcomed back Josh Emmet. He did beat Artem, though, so he's also taken some shine for himself.

Dumb poll ... Romero/Rumble fought twice for the title

Blaydes is bigger than Ngannou I think. At least he weighs more. So Blaydes.

darren-elkins-ufc-209-3.jpg

Jeremy Stephens is the only answer.

He got the most L's in UFC history,
yet always close / around the top 5-10

Fought the very best at 145 & 55
Aldo, Edgar, Holloway, Cerrone, Pettis, RDA

13-14-0-1 NC (UFC Only) ((28-17 MMA))

I don't see Glover Teixeira as an option here and that's disrespectful. Dude's turned back Karl Roberson, Ion Cutelaba, and Nikita Krylov back to back to back. All 3 killer prospects and he did it at or around 40 years of age.

Put some respect on my man's name.

Jim Miller - beat him and you were either top 5 or 10
Gleison Tibau - top 15
Both guys went on crazy impressive streaks but in their primes were the perfect people at LW to really see how good a prospect or potential contender was.

Got to be Michael Johnson, majority of LW title contenders have had to go through him as of late.

Jim Miller - beat him and you were either top 5 or 10
Gleison Tibau - top 15
Both guys went on crazy impressive streaks but in their primes were the perfect people at LW to really see how good a prospect or potential contender was.

Gonna cosign the Tibau nomination. That dude was around forever, and if you could beat him you'd enter the rankings. If not, you weren't going anywhere.

Trouble with the GOATkeeper status. Is it a guy who hung around a long time, and held the gate for the top 15? What about a guy who held the gate for the top 5?

Gonna cosign the Tibau nomination. That dude was around forever, and if you could beat him you'd enter the rankings. If not, you weren't going anywhere.

Trouble with the GOATkeeper status. Is it a guy who hung around a long time, and held the gate for the top 15? What about a guy who held the gate for the top 5?
Bisping was the perfect top 5 gatekeeper until his championship run.

Bisping was the perfect top 5 gatekeeper until his championship run.
Indeed, but on another note, does getting a title shot invalidate your status as GOATkeeper? Because if we're going to count them, then does it not have to be Benavidez?

Dumb poll ... Romero/Rumble fought twice for the title

Yep, title contenders are not gatekeepers.

The definition of a gatekeeper is a fighter who separates the elite from the average. Guys fighting for the title are elite.

Ultimate gatekeeper was Gary Goodridge for Pride.

Back