4 Days a week, fullbody

CarnalSalvation

Trying to make a Milankey
Reaction score
This is a fullbody routine I designed for Urban. He's being kind enough to be my guinea pig on this one. The primary goals are to imrpove his strict OHP and squat.

My basic outline or concept for the routine owes to Anthon Ditillo. I took his basic idea of press/squat/pull every workout, and added in my own ideas in regards to some higher rep work (he worked almsot exclusively in the 1-3 rep range). It looks like a lot, and it is, but not as much as it seems. The volume is comparable to most other workouts, less than many, it's just almost entirely in compound lifts. However, for the most part the high number of sets and the ammount of work to be done limits the intensity for you, so you in theory, shouldn't overtrain. Perhaps Urban would be good enough to report his findings, for good or ill.

Day One:
Power Squats 2-4X1-5
High Pulls 8-10X2
Narrow Grip Bench Press 4X6-8
Overhead Shrugs 4-5X10
Rear Delts, Rotators

Day Two:
Strict Overhead Press 6-10X1-3 2X6-8 (wider or narrower grip than normal)
Font Squats 8X2-3
Powershrugs 6-8X3-5
Side Press 5X3
Rear Delts, Rotators

Day Three:
Push Press (slight push, fast lockout, very light speed type weights) 10X1
Deadlifts 4X3-5
Incline Bench Press 6X3
Power Squat 10-15X1-2
Kelso Rows 4X6-8

Day Four:
Strict Overhead Press 15-25X1-2 (vary grip, do most with your strongest grip but some with weaker grips as well, look for these to be

Oh, and just like the other routines I posted recently, I don't advise this type of training for somebody who is new to lifting. This is a ballbreaker and a man maker.

The three left in the week. Although I might hit grip or something on those days.

CarnalSalvation said:
The three left in the week. Although I might hit grip or something on those days.
Yea, I just read 4 days a week and corrected my self.

Squatting 4 days a week must be a freaking ball breaker.

Sets times reps. A good bit of high set, low rep work. But a fair ammount of that is form/groove training, as opposed to heavy lifting. He's not gonna be going really heavy for 10-15X1-2 on powersquats for example.

I have a series of stupid questions. By power squat, do you just mean a regular backsquat? Is an overhead shrug exactly what it sounds like? And what is a powershrug? Kelso row? Side press? If you don't mind my asking, why all the high rep work? I'm all out of prepubescent south american girls, but perhaps I could interest you in some southeast asians girls in the 12-17 age range . . .

Morgan, I don't do the yellow fever, but I'll talk anyhow. Yes I do mean regular backsquat, but particular the wider stance, sitting back style of backsquat. An overhead shrug is yes, what it sounds like, a shrug while holding the bar in the finished position of the overhead press.

Keslo Row-You can do this with a barbell, low pulley, chest supported row machine whatever. Keep your arms at full length throughout the entire lift. Simplye hold the barbell (or whatever) and squeeze your shoulder blades together (keep your arms straight) pause for a second, return to the beginning, and repeat.

Side Press-Clean a DB. Now push it overhead, but as you do so lean to the side until your torso is as close to parrallel with the floor as your can get it, with the dumbell and your arm perpendicular to your body, above you. Raise into a standing position (great for the obliques).

I don't see much high rep work, what do you mean in particular?

Hope I was clear in my descriptions.

CarnalSalvation said:
Morgan, I don't do the yellow fever, but I'll talk anyhow. Yes I do mean regular backsquat, but particular the wider stance, sitting back style of backsquat. An overhead shrug is yes, what it sounds like, a shrug while holding the bar in the finished position of the overhead press.

Keslo Row-You can do this with a barbell, low pulley, chest supported row machine whatever. Keep your arms at full length throughout the entire lift. Simplye hold the barbell (or whatever) and squeeze your shoulder blades together (keep your arms straight) pause for a second, return to the beginning, and repeat.

Side Press-Clean a DB. Now push it overhead, but as you do so lean to the side until your torso is as close to parrallel with the floor as your can get it, with the dumbell and your arm perpendicular to your body, above you.

I don't see much high rep work, what do you mean in particular?

Hope I was clear in my descriptions.

I was referring to 8-10 reps on high pulls, 8 on front squat, 10-15 on squats, and 15-25 ohp. I've only been doing high pulls for a couple of weeks now, but I've always been told to keep reps lower oly variants and focus on speed and form. Maybe with a bit more practice 8-10 won't be that big of a deal, but I find that my form goes to shit the more reps I do. I understand the squats if it is intended to improve form, speed, etc., and you already have a heavy squat day on day one, but 15-25 reps on ohp seems a lot higher than anything I have seen you advocate here before. You did mention that you were getting better results with higher rep ranges with ohp in a previous post, but I assumed you meant 8-12 max.

Obviously a great deal of this workout is not going to be max effort work, but if the emphasis is on dynamic work and form, I'm just wondering why you are using a few sets of higher reps as opposed to a shitload of singles and triples.

Your descriptions were quite clear, thank you. As for the no yellow fever policy, I used to think like that until I heard an interview with Quinton Jackson where he said that girls in Japan get upset if he won't let them wipe his ass for him. Kind of changed my perspective.

morganfreeman said:
I was referring to 8-10 reps on high pulls, 8 on front squat, 10-15 on squats, and 15-25 ohp. I've only been doing high pulls for a couple of weeks now, but I've always been told to keep reps lower oly variants and focus on speed and form. Maybe with a bit more practice 8-10 won't be that big of a deal, but I find that my form goes to shit the more reps I do. I understand the squats if it is intended to improve form, speed, etc., and you already have a heavy squat day on day one, but 15-25 reps on ohp seems a lot higher than anything I have seen you advocate here before. You did mention that you were getting better results with higher rep ranges with ohp in a previous post, but I assumed you meant 8-12 max.

Obviously a great deal of this workout is not going to be max effort work, but if the emphasis is on dynamic work and form, I'm just wondering why you are using a few sets of higher reps as opposed to a shitload of singles and triples.

Your descriptions were quite clear, thank you. As for the no yellow fever policy, I used to think like that until I heard an interview with Quinton Jackson where he said that girls in Japan get upset if he won't let them wipe his ass for him. Kind of changed my perspective.
It's set x reps.

morganfreeman said:
Well then, I feel pretty silly right about now . . .
We all have them.

Like the first post I made in the thread.

CarnalSalvation said:
Sets times reps. A good bit of high set, low rep work. But a fair ammount of that is form/groove training, as opposed to heavy lifting. He's not gonna be going really heavy for 10-15X1-2 on powersquats for example.
HAHA! this is funny cause I did go really heavy on my squats today. Even though it's a gross figure and I'm sure I'm capable of better right now, I went up to 96 percent on my squats today after lifting. Anyways, some time has cleared up and up until now I've been doing only about two workouts a week, but now I can really bear down on it get in all four and see what happens. As a side note, the last exercises get left out if I go over an hour per session.

Just wondering, how come there are two strict presses in a week, why not use push jerks for the second?

Cuz Urban is trying to get better at strict presses, and I am a big believe in specific training.

Would you reccomend upping the number of reps for a muscular condition workout (like month before a fight)?

Back