3D printing. Anyone do it?

What can you do with a 3d printer like the ender 3 other than those action figurines?
All kinds of stuff. I'm focused on gun accessories right now: picatinny rails, flashlight mounts, etc.
I've also made custom emblems for my friend's muscle car restorations.

More zombie goodness.
I designed these two figures from scratch, using a modeling program that I'm learning.
View attachment 429453 View attachment 429455

Chris Parnell fan?
Premiere+Sony+Pictures+Walk+Hard+Dewy+Cox+Q9MUKiODOOSx.jpg

Soon, sex robots will be printing dildos.

I need a part for my Nintendo r.ob. It's really rare and expencive. Someone told me to make it with a 3D printer but I couldn't justify buying one just for that one thing. I still haven't found anyone to make it.

I need a part for my Nintendo r.ob. It's really rare and expencive. Someone told me to make it with a 3D printer but I couldn't justify buying one just for that one thing. I still haven't found anyone to make it.
Got an STL file for it?
If not, check thingiverse.com.
I'll see if I can make it for a fair price.

When I read about the toxic micro particles dispersed into the air from 3D printing, I decided not to buy a 3D printer.

I have used Autodesk Tinkercad to make some simple geometric shaped stuff, but don't know how to copy/create irregular shapes with curves.

I also tried the Autodesk Recap 360 where you take photos of something from different angles then upload the pics and the website is supposed to make a 3D model out of it, and it really failed and gave garbage nowhere close to the intended result. The object was a black plastic sunglasses stem. I wanted to 3D print a replacement frame to replace the brittle original frame. A lot of people grow attached to their sunglasses where the style is discontinued.

There were many times I wished I could have a custom replacement part or part I couldn't easily buy from hardware store. I thought 3D printing was the solution, but it's way more complicated than I thought. Even if you have the perfect 3D model, the result might not be the same size due to shrinkage and warping.

I was hopeful seeing via the web that various public libraries gave access to 3D printing, as well as some office supply stores, but when I got a price check from UPS Store, the cost was unbelievably high!!! It's possible the employee didn't know what she was calculating and made a huge mistake with the cost quote.

What is that?

Ever consider taking measurements and creating the .stl file yourself via simple to use Tinkercad?

What can you do with a 3d printer like the ender 3 other than those action figurines?
Good question. The print surfaces can be only several inches by several inches with some printers.

I bought metal replacement drawer knobs, which weren't cheap. Surely someone could 3D print that, but who knows if they'll degrade to dust after years of exposure to sunlight.

Been wanting to get a 3D printer but not sure what I would do with it. I have a machine shop but I also want to play with one of these things. I have a friend that bought a Makerbot and they were doing some prototype stuff, seemed neat.
The ideal would be a group of people chip in to donate a 3D printer to the neighborhood public library assuming they'll be able to use it any time and no one will break it or steal it.

Good question. The print surfaces can be only several inches by several inches with some printers.

I bought metal replacement drawer knobs, which weren't cheap. Surely someone could 3D print that, but who knows if they'll degrade to dust after years of exposure to sunlight.

ABS filament would be the way to go on something like that. The materials you can print with is amazing.
I'm going to try carbon fiber reinforced PLA soon.

Thats very reasonable too. And are the blueprints online free, or is there a cost associated?
thingiverse has ordinary people make 3D model files (.stl) and post them where people can download them free. There are other similar sites, but they might require registration.

You can make your own 3D files with Tinkercad, but your computer needs the 3D graphics horsepower. It works within your web browser. There are YouTube vids showing how easy it is to use for simple stuff.

ABS filament would be the way to go on something like that. The materials you can print with is amazing.
I'm going to try carbon fiber reinforced PLA soon.
I thought carbon fiber gets its strength from being baked at high pressure.

I think I read PLA decomposes.

i just bought my first 1d printer. Give me awhile to catch up
I'm sure you could probably web search for some template for origami card stock face masks or dildo. It's amazing what 3D things people are printing with paper.

Do it! I'm 49, and totally geeking out on this hobby. Lots of printer reviews on youtube.View attachment 429351
Glow filament exists, but I read that it's hard on your nozzle. I just painted the statue with glow spray paint.
That would be great for custom board game pieces.

If I was a kid, I wouldn't mind 3D printing an action figure of myself in the same scale as the normal Marvel action figures. Of course my action figure would be whooping the asses of Hulk and Spider-Man.

I'm not seeing the point here.

Is this just Creepy Crawlers for adults?
There was an article citing Jay Leno 3D printing a replacement car part and taking it somewhere to make a metal version of it. Dunno how that works. Maybe mold.

Back