3-Time BJJ World Champion Gilbert Burns Wants Dream Fight with BJJ Legend Demian Maia in Brazil

Burns vs. Maia

• Total voters
LOL, sorry not everyone cares to watch every fucking fight on a card. You guys throw that casual word as if it's an insult. I just figure it just means we have a life unlike you guys who claim to be hard core fans who watch every fucking shit fight.

Comic books don't read themselves, amirite?

Huh? That guy you quoted is not me lol. I also didnt know who gilbert burns was till now. Like I said dont care about no name guys till they make a name of themselves. My time is valuable unlike yours which you waste.
You only care about Ronda and Conor type of fighters. The rest can suck your dick.

i dont think it would be a that good of a match. maia would probably win via control and by being the better wrestler of the two, but i doubt either would submit the other

This is very very possible. I'm a huge Maia fan, but Burns has A LOT going for him in this match up. Gilbert basically has an advantage on Maia, everywhere, except BJJ...but I think Burns has more then enough BJJ skills to survive the ground. Fuck, it would be so fun to see this one hit the mat.

I give maia the wrestling advantage as well, and he just seems better at implementing his game. i think he'd have a size and strength advantage too. he could always gas though...

I give maia the wrestling advantage as well, and he just seems better at implementing his game. i think he'd have a size and strength advantage too. he could always gas though...

Yeah, I'd lump wrestling in the 'grappling' advantage for Maia. Size wise, could be, but Burns is huge as well. There's LOTS of interesting aspects to this fight. I want it more then the Sanchez fight, to be honest. We'll see.

I went with Burns. I figure the BJJ is so close that it's a push, and Burns is younger

Yeah, I'd lump wrestling in the 'grappling' advantage for Maia. Size wise, could be, but Burns is huge as well. There's LOTS of interesting aspects to this fight. I want it more then the Sanchez fight, to be honest. We'll see.

The chiesa fight is still my favorite for Maia, but this burns fight is good too. He has plenty of options.

I've always wanted to see Maia vs. Wonderboy, but i dont think it will ever happen. It 's too bad that there's not many big names that he could realistically fight. That fight with askren was probably his last big fight.

Last edited:
Jesus, 73% picking Maia? Recency bias is crazy on Sherdog... Burns outclasses Maia in a bloody decision imo.

Please elaborate. I think Maia beats him myself by being more well rounded and experienced. Just curious to see what people think Burns would be able to do to Demian.

LMAO, so true. I never watch prelims. When these so potentially "good" prospects Sherdog gush over make it to the main card then thats when I will probably watch them.

I also never watch a complete main card, most of the times it's 2 or 3 fights. 4 when the card is really good but thats hardly never.

So you post thousands of times on a mma forum yet are almost completely uneducated about it. Sounds about right

I think Maia beats him myself by being more well rounded and experienced. Just curious to see what people think Burns would be able to do to Demian.
You think Maia is more well rounded than Burns? You haven't seen many of Gilbert's fights then lol. Burns has better cardio, MUCH better striking, he's stronger, and his grappling is around the same level as Maia's.

The only way I could see Maia winning this fight is if he catches Burns in a sub, but that's very unlikely IMO. Literally the only clear advantage Maia has over Burns is experience.

Maia simply doesn't have the wrestling to take Burns down, and even if he does, Burns is a good enough grappler to avoid getting caught.

This would be fascinating to see. I'd have to go with maia

Gil takes this. I don't even know if it'll be as competitive as everyone thinks. Would definitely watch.

Burns -200
Maia +160

Sharp difference of opinion with Sherdog majority.

I think the smart bet is for Burns only because Maia tires fairly easily these days. Wouldn't be surprised if Maia can get a sub win though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back