3-Time BJJ World Champion Gilbert Burns Wants Dream Fight with BJJ Legend Demian Maia in Brazil

Burns vs. Maia

• Total voters
Jesus, 73% picking Maia? Recency bias is crazy on Sherdog... Burns outclasses Maia in a bloody decision imo.
I don't think so, I mean, I agree with you but that means a lot of people know Maia and not Durinho.
That's what Gilbert wants in that fight, he has some clear advantage (we suddenly forgot Maia is already 41, likely 42 during his next bout), likely beats Maia on feet and able to deflect Maia's TDAs and gets some of his fans to jump on his bandwagon.

But as far as that fight not going to the ground I end up not quite stoked at it....

LMAO, so true. I never watch prelims. When these so potentially "good" prospects Sherdog gush over make it to the main card then thats when I will probably watch them.

I also never watch a complete main card, most of the times it's 2 or 3 fights. 4 when the card is really good but thats hardly never.

I might agree...if the UFC actually built the cards that way. The final prelim fight is very often a lot better than some of the main card fights, and sometimes it's even baffling why earlier prelims aren't main card and some main card fights just suck.

LMAO, so true. I never watch prelims. When these so potentially "good" prospects Sherdog gush over make it to the main card then thats when I will probably watch them.

I also never watch a complete main card, most of the times it's 2 or 3 fights. 4 when the card is really good but thats hardly never.
His last fight was main card, you pair of reprobates.

You are a fucking casual

LOL, sorry not everyone cares to watch every fucking fight on a card. You guys throw that casual word as if it's an insult. I just figure it just means we have a life unlike you guys who claim to be hard core fans who watch every fucking shit fight.

LOL, sorry not everyone cares to watch every fucking fight on a card. You guys throw that casual word as if it's an insult. I just figure it just means we have a life unlike you guys who claim to be hard core fans who watch every fucking shit fight.
Oh, my number 1 fan is here. Whats up fanboy?

<JonesLaugh>

I like Burns in this fight. Strong in the clinch, good wrestling, great BJJ and comfortable off the bottom, and he has heavy hands and is a decent kickboxer. Maia was a middleweight though and might be able to keep him grounded long enough to win a decision.

Jesus, 73% picking Maia? Recency bias is crazy on Sherdog... Burns outclasses Maia in a bloody decision imo.
I voted for Maia because I voted with my heart but Burns would be really tough fight for him. The difference in their striking is far greater than the difference in their grappling if there even is much difference. Burns would probably be the best BJJ guy Maia has faced in the octagon since Shields and Maia lost that fight(narrowly to be fair).

(Timestamped @14:13)

Love how Burns wants to test his grappling against the best, becoming a fan of this guy despite not seeing too many of his fights(first time I saw him was against Hooker...).

Fuck off troll.

You know who Burns is and your other user account (that you forgot to log off) knows it too.

Huh? That guy you quoted is not me lol. I also didnt know who gilbert burns was till now. Like I said dont care about no name guys till they make a name of themselves. My time is valuable unlike yours which you waste.

Huh? That guy you quoted is not me lol. I also didnt know who gilbert burns was till now. Like I said dont care about no name guys till they make a name of themselves. My time is valuable unlike yours which you waste.
<TrumpWrong1>

Burns is so strong, not sure it would touch the ground. I could see him finishing Maia which is typically hard to imagine

I agree. Maia is very hit-able. If Burns, like Maia, isn't afraid to go to the mat, then Gilbert could let his hands go...and yeah, could be too much for Damien. BUT, it would be such a shame if it didn't go to the ground. I do believe that Burns WANTS to test his BJJ against Maia, though.

Maia would win. Burns is a great and I really like him, but Demian is the OG of this shit.

Back