3 months training in Thailand; 3 in Brazil; 3 in LA, 3 in Iowa

IMHO not that great.
Because that means for 9 months you do not train 3 of the other modalities needed.

Lack of training = decaying skills.

If you'll notice it's divided into two groups: striking and grappling

Surely there's some carryover with wrestling and submissions just as there is with boxing and MT

It's not like Missouri is full of top notch wrestlers because mizzou is great at it.

..maybe. The best wrestler still come from college programs. Its not like wrestling has basketball's AAU or some development league.

Nah. Rather train for a few months with some master like GSP and then do the rest of the year at a great MMA gym, like Serra/Longo's, Cordeiro's, etc.

and 3 training in hawaii, to get unmotivated.

I remember Rogan saying a guy trained with Hoost for his kickboxing and Rickson for his BJJ, who was that?

Anyways, I'm a firm believer you need to start slow or you're wasting your money, I'd rather learn the basics at a local gym before even bothering to take some dream trip learning from grand masters.

I'd also rather learn from a decent guy who speaks English than a Brazilian or Thai who doesn't.... and why would I go to LA for anything?

Or how about staying at one top MMA gym and occasionally fly in top sparring partners for each discipline.

But immersion is so much cooler.

Imagine doing pads here wearing all the traditional Thai gear

481029.jpg

481029.jpg

sounds like you care more about the aspects of fighting not necessarily related to fighting.

if some dude from a small isolated russian no name town can become GOAT, it pretty much means it's not the mma tourism that gets you there.

what you are talking about is different from competitive fighting. it's more of a personal journey.

sounds like you care more about the aspects of fighting not necessarily related to fighting.

if some dude from a small isolated russian no name town can become GOAT, it pretty much means it's not the mma tourism that gets you there.
What exactly is wrong with MMA tourism? I'm stealing that word btw

481029.jpg

I think you're being a bit romantic, there are trainers in the US who are better than a ton of people in the nations those MA's originate in.

So even if hypothetically you're talking about learning from the best people from the best gyms in that area, do you think it's much better than learning from people who are still better than you, without relocating to a place you don't speak the language, especially thailand where the average height is nearly a foot shorter than me

I think this is good for competition as well.

it may well be. but the way you presented your case makes it look, as i said, as a journey that does not need to have performance at the end. it's sport for a lot of reasons - camaraderie, belonging, personal development, growth, journey. all fine and beautiful.

still, this is the UFC forum and i assumed you meant it as a way toget ready for the ufc. i don't think it will cut it.

I think you're being a bit romantic, there are trainers in the US who are better than a ton of people in the nations those MA's originate in.

So even if hypothetically you're talking about learning from the best people from the best gyms in that area, do you think it's much better than learning from people who are still better than you, without relocating to a place you don't speak the language, especially thailand where the average height is nearly a foot shorter than me
Do holland then

At the high school level, Pennsylvania is best. This is evidenced by the dapper Dan tournament. Beyond that, you can't really isolate wrestling for mma to an area. there are gyms with great wrestling coaches all over. These guys finish college and move. It's not like Missouri is full of top notch wrestlers because mizzou is great at it.

PA is also one of the only states with not only a single great wrestling program but many good ones at the collegiate level.

You have Penn State which is the top program over the last 5 years plus you got perennial powerhouses like Lehigh, stony brook, slippery rock, bloomsburg, and a few others all producing all-americans pretty often.

Back