I'm going to make a few assumptions here, so I apologize if I am wrong on them.

Are you from the USA? Because Rex Murphy is from Canada, and the National Post is Canadian, and I am fairly certain there are SERIOUS differences between the situation in the US and the one in Canada.

In Canada, this has been a growing issue for years due to our Human Rights court. This issue really picked up in the public after this event (from wikipedia):

"Human rights complaints against Maclean's magazine were filed in December 2007 by Mohamed Elmasry of the Canadian Islamic Congress with the Canadian Human Rights Commission, the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal and the Ontario Human Rights Commission. Maclean's magazine was accused of publishing eighteen Islamophobic articles between January 2005 and July 2007. The articles in question included a column by Mark Steyn titled "The Future Belongs to Islam"

To my understanding, the USA doesn't have a similar Human Rights court and has significantly different laws regarding the complaints that would be brought forward in it. This is a Federal court, and because of that complaints involving college and universities across the country can be brought to it as well, which means that there IS a legitimate change of culture which centers on the 'right not to be offended'.

I don't think some people realize how bad things have gotten in Canada when it comes to free speech and censorship. Mark Steyn had to defend himself in court over an article he wrote for Maclean's on radical Islam. People are aggressively interrupted, harassed or outright stopped from speaking in Universities because a few radical lefties on campus don't agree with their views. The Canada human rights commission has become the court of hurt feelings and will find people guilty of hurting others feelings. The unapologetic left-biased CBC refuses to show the Charlie Hebdo cartoons in fear of offending Muslims.

The interview below is typical of what is happening in Canada. The CBC show host (and Islamic apologist) Evan Solomon grills Mark Steyn for criticizing Islam. When it's Mohamed El Rashidy's turn to speak he never once gets questioned on his laughable assertions and is allowed to speak unchallenged.

Back