He's right but it will make not a slightest bit of difference. Muslims will continue to live in their own little world, spreading their negative influence onto non-Muslims.

The Muslim world needs more people like this guy, and not the wishy washy vacillating voices that are the norm. I am alluding to how due to intense bad PR soo many Muslims have condemned the Charlie Hebdo massacres but they keep mum about the flogging of that blogger in Saudi or refrain from criticizing Wahhabism.

Fuck those people who want to tell others what they can say and think. It certainly has no place in any modern society.

I agree, but isn't that exactly what political correctness is about? There are countless examples of public figures and some not-so-public ones having to apologise for things they've said or even a shirt they wore in the case of that poor physicist guy.

You say the wrong thing at work and they send you on a "re-education course". Kids in primary education are getting branded as racist or sexist if they use the wrong words.

Watching your language to the minutest detail appears to be vital in a modern society from what I can see. There are a ton of people ready to tell you what you can say and think.

he is right. 100%. don't like our society? fuck off. you have lots of places with sharia law.

Well said, that man. Much respect.

If I moved to a Muslim country, I'd need to adapt and accept Islamic culture. Considering we're all equal, the same should apply to the Muslims in western countries.

I don't think he said "freedom" enough. We don't want people against freedom. That is the last thing we want. Very insightful.

malcolm-freedom.jpg

I agree, but isn't that exactly what political correctness is about? There are countless examples of public figures and some not-so-public ones having to apologise for things they've said or even a shirt they wore in the case of that poor physicist guy.

You say the wrong thing at work and they send you on a "re-education course". Kids in primary education are getting branded as racist or sexist if they use the wrong words.

Watching your language to the minutest detail appears to be vital in a modern society from what I can see. There are a ton of people ready to tell you what you can say and think.

You will likely appreciate and agree with what Rex Murphy has to say on the matter:

Source: Rex Murphy: We are not Charlie Hebdo

...Indeed, at our universities, newspapers and broadcasters, we have seen an ever-shrinking defence of free speech, a timid reluctance to take on those who claim special privilege to shut down those they simply don’t like. The great institutions of the West, the press and the universities, have been at best complicit and at worst cowardly when it comes up to defending freedom of speech — not from threats of Islamist fanatics with guns, but in much less demanding circumstances.

Our universities bleat about inquiry and free speech, but they are feeble and craven, caving in to protestors and special interests, pleading “sensitivity” and the “wish not to offend” any time some topic or speaker threatens to “hurt” the professionally agitated on campus...

...This part of the world has a sack full of pieties when it comes to free speech, but its own actions, and frequently its own words, put the lie to all of them. Bowing to ruthless protest has become a habit. Labelling speech some people simply do not wish to hear as “hate speech” succeeds in silencing it. In matters big and small, on issues from global warming to abortion, there is collusion — we call it political correctness — over what should not be said, what cannot be said.

All of which makes this hashtag war, all the We are Charlie Hebdo manifestations, so very, very hollow. If we will not speak for free speech when it is shut down by special interests, protestors of the politically correct, on campuses and in newspapers, we manifest that we are not serious about free speech. There is no “we” after the killings. There are very few worthy of that claim … and, alas, under the shout of allahu akbar, 12 of them are now quite dead.

You will likely appreciate and agree with what Rex Murphy has to say on the matter:

Source: Rex Murphy: We are not Charlie Hebdo

...Indeed, at our universities, newspapers and broadcasters, we have seen an ever-shrinking defence of free speech, a timid reluctance to take on those who claim special privilege to shut down those they simply don

The Muslim world needs more people like this guy, and not the wishy washy vacillating voices that are the norm. I am alluding to how due to intense bad PR soo many Muslims have condemned the Charlie Hebdo massacres but they keep mum about the flogging of that blogger in Saudi or refrain from criticizing Wahhabism.

Meh. I agree with the guy but Muslims aren't gonna care. They're just going to continue immigrating, breeding, welfare mooching and jihading. Force is the only thing that stops these people - whether force of law or force of a bullet.

I totally agree. The west has a culture that will rake you over the coals for the slightest thing. We are so self-righteous and judgemental. People silence themselves, over a weak interest group. Now a strong one shows up in Islam. They bit off more than they could chew. These other groups formed the cracks. Islam is the fucking hammer. We created a culture that allowed this.

We absolutely did, but that has more to do with terrible Cold War policies and post-colonialism rather than this invisible liberal monster you check under your bed for.

I totally agree. The west has a culture that will rake you over the coals for the slightest thing. We are so self-righteous and judgemental. People silence themselves, over a weak interest group. Now a strong one shows up in Islam. They bit off more than they could chew. These other groups formed the cracks. Islam is the fucking hammer. We created a culture that allowed this.

I'm going to make a few assumptions here, so I apologize if I am wrong on them.

Are you from the USA? Because Rex Murphy is from Canada, and the National Post is Canadian, and I am fairly certain there are SERIOUS differences between the situation in the US and the one in Canada.

In Canada, this has been a growing issue for years due to our Human Rights court. This issue really picked up in the public after this event (from wikipedia):

"Human rights complaints against Maclean's magazine were filed in December 2007 by Mohamed Elmasry of the Canadian Islamic Congress with the Canadian Human Rights Commission, the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal and the Ontario Human Rights Commission. Maclean's magazine was accused of publishing eighteen Islamophobic articles between January 2005 and July 2007. The articles in question included a column by Mark Steyn titled "The Future Belongs to Islam"

To my understanding, the USA doesn't have a similar Human Rights court and has significantly different laws regarding the complaints that would be brought forward in it. This is a Federal court, and because of that complaints involving college and universities across the country can be brought to it as well, which means that there IS a legitimate change of culture which centers on the 'right not to be offended'.

Does it count as telling someone what to do if you tell someone to not tell you what to do?

There's a significant conceptual difference there that should be quite obvious.

I agree, but isn't that exactly what political correctness is about?

It is, unfortunately. The word scourge comes to mind. There's always going to be opposing forces and conflicts at the fringe. The PC'ers are more devolved than they realize.

That dutch mayor sounds like he's right. The only thing giving me pause is that Boris endorses him, usually a strong predictor of wrongheadedness.

I wouldn't mind if these people packed up and left.

extremists? sure, or do you mean all Muslims?

I mean shit, I like Chapelle, Nas, Tyson, Wu Tang etc. Mos Def already left last I heard.

That dutch mayor sounds like he's right. The only thing giving me pause is that Boris endorses him, usually a strong predictor of wrongheadedness.

That is why the idiom "politics makes strange bedfellows" is often so fitting.

Back