• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

***2024 NBA Thread - Let The Games Begin***

Lol at this Big Three shit still going.

The term "Big Three" was used in instances like the 80s Celtics/Lakers etc. The Spurs were probably labeled as a Big Three as well but there was certainly no criteria in terms of points and it was not standard to refer to the teams you guys are bringing up as bonafide Big Threes.

Chicago with Rose, Deng and Jokim Noah

Well NBA media and announcers used the term to describe any group of 3 players where each had > 15ppg.

Fucking lol at Joakim Noah being part of a Big Three with Luol Deng and Derrick Rose. The guy never averaged more than 12.6 points which torpedoes your own "15 points" argument that never existed.

"Big Three" became an actual standard term with its current meaning when LeCan and Bosh went to Miami at which point it was specifically about having three actual stars. Hell, there's even a Wiki page for this nonsense.

The Big Three, sometimes known as The Heatles,[1][2][3] were a trio of professional basketball players – LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh – who played for the Miami Heat of the National Basketball Association (NBA) from the 2010–11 season to the 2013–14 season

The trio have been credited with having a dramatic influence on the NBA, specifically relating to team development and general management. Many teams in subsequent seasons have sought to adopt the "Big Three" model of courting established NBA superstars to their franchises, in order to win championships.

And I'll laugh if you try to use the argument "well I watched back then and you probably didn't."

<36>

Lol at this Big Three shit still going.

The term "Big Three" was used in instances like the 80s Celtics/Lakers etc. The Spurs were probably labeled as a Big Three as well but there was certainly no criteria in terms of points and it was not standard to refer to the teams you guys are bringing up as bonafide Big Threes.

Fucking lol at Joakim Noah being part of a Big Three with Luol Deng and Derrick Rose. The guy never averaged more than 12.6 points which torpedoes your own "15 points" argument that never existed.

"Big Three" became an actual standard term with its current meaning when LeCan and Bosh went to Miami at which point it was specifically about having three actual stars. Hell, there's even a Wiki page for this nonsense.

The Big Three, sometimes known as The Heatles,[1][2][3] were a trio of professional basketball players – LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh – who played for the Miami Heat of the National Basketball Association (NBA) from the 2010–11 season to the 2013–14 season

The trio have been credited with having a dramatic influence on the NBA, specifically relating to team development and general management. Many teams in subsequent seasons have sought to adopt the "Big Three" model of courting established NBA superstars to their franchises, in order to win championships.

And I'll laugh if you try to use the argument "well I watched back then and you probably didn't."

<36>
lol I was waiting for the response (that he wasn’t going to provide it seems now) before ethering him with actual facts and provide some of the things you did.

Was going to bring this up also. The concept of a big three was apparent prior to 2007 however the actual term was popularized by that Celtics squad and mostly by the heat like you brought up.

Hell googling the term big three brought up this

The term "Big Three" in the NBA refers to a group of three players who were all proven top options on different teams before coming together on the same team. The term is most often used to describe the Boston Celtics' Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce, who formed the "Big Three" in 2007 after being traded to the Celtics from the Timberwolves.

This is the general consensus, so although there wasn’t a set criteria, this was the main idea on what the term means. Even when the spurs had a “big three” in most people’s eyes, they were not labeled that at the time. Hope the guys trying to argue against this actually learned something today lmao

lol I was waiting for the response (that he wasn’t going to provide it seems now) before ethering him with actual facts and provide some of the things you did.

Was going to bring this up also. The concept of a big three was apparent prior to 2007 however the actual term was popularized by that Celtics squad and mostly by the heat like you brought up.

The term "Big Three" in the NBA refers to a group of three players who were all proven top options on different teams before coming together on the same team. The term is most often used to describe the Boston Celtics' Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce, who formed the "Big Three" in 2007 after being traded to the Celtics from the Timberwolves.

This is the general consensus, so although there wasn’t a set criteria, this was the main idea on what the term means. Hope the guys trying to argue against this actually learned something today lmao

Yeah the 2007 Celtics was the first example for the current use of the term where a team of superstars was assembled. Miami was where it really became a standard and spawned the nonsense afterwards.

I have to say, it's hilarious reading some of the examples in this thread. It's wild what people come up with.

How does a 7 ft tall, multi millionaire who has banged 1000s of skanks with a baseball bat in his pants have such an inferiority complex?
I know this post is old but my understanding is he's packing six and half seven at most so not great.

Yeah the 2007 Celtics was the first example for the current use of the term where a team of superstars was assembled. Miami was where it really became a standard and spawned the nonsense afterwards.

I have to say, it's hilarious reading some of the examples in this thread. It's wild what people come up with.
It would be fine if they were trolling but they’re actually serious which is hilarious. Best thing was saying if we weren’t posting about this 18 years ago on this forum, then we don’t know what we’re talking about. Classic shit

George Ethtered that little turd Nick Wright hahaha

When you were getting picked last at recess, we were determining how to guard the GOAT" - George Karl claps back at Nick Wright’s criticism​

Karl also offered to teach Wright basketball for free.

Last edited:
Doesn’t surprise me. Thanks for confirming it’s your alt

In his defense, this message board has glitches with quotes and replies. It happened to me before and I was confused why another poster was responding.

In his defense, this message board has glitches with quotes and replies. It happened to me before and I was confused why another poster was responding.
Yea accidents happen but I spoon fed him the reasoning and he still can’t get it lmao

Flerps’ lob city could be defined as a big three depending on how you view things.

Last edited:

This is the general consensus, so although there wasn’t a set criteria, this was the main idea on what the term means. Even when the spurs had a “big three” in most people’s eyes, they were not labeled that at the time. Hope the guys trying to argue against this actually learned something today lmao

LOL at "Ethering me" with the definition of big 3s.

Even more LMAO at citing uproxx to do it. It is such common knowledge and so provable that you had to find a source no one ever heard of to do it. Maybe show me a YouTube clip with 15 views next time as a sauce

I don’t think DeAndre or Redick fits in that category. CP3 and Blake do though

Probably forgetting DeAndre Jordan wasn't viewed as a can back then because his skill set was playable.

Could be mentioned among other "trios" but NOT big 3s of the time:

Dwight, Jameer Nelson, Rashard Lewis Magic

Melo, Amare, Chandler Knicks

Harden, Kd, Brick Thunder

Gasol, Randolph, Connely Grizz

Kobe, Gasol, Bynum Lakers

Cantawn, Hibache, Butler Wiz

NBA media never once referred to these collections as big 3s because they were operating under strict definitions. They never gave in to hype and attempted to attach that buzzword to other franchises that were competing for a chip. On reserve for super teams only.

Last edited:
LOL at "Ethering me" with the definition of big 3s.

Even more LMAO at citing uproxx to do it. It is such common knowledge and so provable that you had to find a source no one ever heard of to do it. Maybe show me a YouTube clip with 15 views next time as a sauce

Probably forgetting DeAndre Jordan wasn't viewed as a can back then because his skill set was playable.
You haven’t had enough punishment today? The definition of the term and timeline origin of the term is what we’ve been discussing the entire time genius. You can’t provide anything to back up any point you’ve made or disprove/counter anything provided in the article. Just take the L and move on instead of wasting our time. Deandre Jordan part of a big three…

{<jordan}

You haven’t had enough punishment today? The definition of the term and timeline origin of the term is what we’ve been discussing the entire time genius. You can’t provide anything to back up any point you’ve made or disprove/counter anything provided in the article. Just take the L and move on instead of wasting our time. Deandre Jordan part of a big three…

{<jordan}

You know what, I had some decent links referring to the Knicks, Bulls and Cantawn crew as big 3s but when posted the URL got ETHERED by sherdog and were butchered. I'll give you the win though if you want it because I won't fight this battle any longer. Only big 3s to have existed or been referred to as big 3s are the ones that meet your criteria bro, whatever that is.

Last edited:
Back