• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2024 Motorsports Thread

I went back to bed after the first few laps after the restart and woke back up with like 3 to go, good decision by me. They need to do something with Monaco because unless it rains the race is a guaranteed procession.

I went back to bed after the first few laps after the restart and woke back up with like 3 to go, good decision by me. They need to do something with Monaco because unless it rains the race is a guaranteed procession.
I like the idea of two pit stops. But if you have to modify the rules, that’s dumb. Just add a drs zone down the tunnel. Unsafe, but it’s something

I like the idea of two pit stops. But if you have to modify the rules, that’s dumb. Just add a drs zone down the tunnel. Unsafe, but it’s something
Or special Monaco tires that are like 3 steps softer than the current compounds, but likely nothing will fix it because the cars are just too big to race in Monaco.

Larson is gonna be kicking himself in the ass forever for that speeding penalty on pit road if he never gets another shot at the 500.

Chase Elliott had some harsh words for Nascar on them fining Stenhouse 75k for punching Busch. Said how are you going to fine a guy and then use his behavior to promote the next race?

I was at the 500 on Sunday. The 4.5 hour rain day was pretty brutal but the whole Indy party atmosphere and the race itself more than made up for it. I’m really more of an F1 guy but I have to admit that Indycar racing is better there was no better illustration of the fact than this weekend. I listened to the broadcast of Monaco on the drive home and almost fell asleep at the wheel.

If you want to get a good sense of the difference between the series, watch these two interviews of yesterday’s winners. These happened just minutes after the race. What do you see about the relative emotional state of the two drivers? That’s the story of the races as well.

Stewart-Haas is shutting down their NASCAR operations at the end of this year. It seems like it might be just the first of the dominoes to fall in NASCAR. Roger Penske is 87, Joe Gibbs is 83, Jack Rousch is 82, Rick Hendrick is 74. Crowds are down. Television viewership is down. The Coca Cola 600 only brought in 3.1 million viewers. The Indy 500 had 5 million viewers. The Monaco Grand Prix had almost 2 million viewers in the US.

Sponsorship for cars has been drying up as the television networks won't mention car sponsors unless the sponsors pay them too. Sponsors have figured out that sponsoring a race gets them more air time than sponsoring a car. Stewart-Hass lost some major sponsors as have other teams. I don't think any teams have the same sponsors for every race anymore.

Stewart-Haas is shutting down their NASCAR operations at the end of this year. It seems like it might be just the first of the dominoes to fall in NASCAR. Roger Penske is 87, Joe Gibbs is 83, Jack Rousch is 82, Rick Hendrick is 74. Crowds are down. Television viewership is down. The Coca Cola 600 only brought in 3.1 million viewers. The Indy 500 had 5 million viewers. The Monaco Grand Prix had almost 2 million viewers in the US.

Sponsorship for cars has been drying up as the television networks won't mention car sponsors unless the sponsors pay them too. Sponsors have figured out that sponsoring a race gets them more air time than sponsoring a car. Stewart-Hass lost some major sponsors as have other teams. I don't think any teams have the same sponsors for every race anymore.
I seriously believe that's a big reason that NASCAR is failing in developing new stars. A sponsor will come on board for 5 races and be done.

Such a big part of the sport was always around drivers being associated with brands. To this day, I shop at Home Depot cause I liked Tony Stewart and didn't like Jimmie Johnson with Lowes. You have to build that brand equity for a driver to be associated with, that builds up their name and image. I've seen Chase Elliot on billboards for a half dozen different companies. I watch fairly regularly and I couldn't even tell you who his sponsor is this year.

I never wondered who Rusty Wallace's sponsor was. Or Jeff Gordon. Or Earnhardt.

I seriously believe that's a big reason that NASCAR is failing in developing new stars. A sponsor will come on board for 5 races and be done.

Such a big part of the sport was always around drivers being associated with brands. To this day, I shop at Home Depot cause I liked Tony Stewart and didn't like Jimmie Johnson with Lowes. You have to build that brand equity for a driver to be associated with, that builds up their name and image. I've seen Chase Elliot on billboards for a half dozen different companies. I watch fairly regularly and I couldn't even tell you who his sponsor is this year.

Back when ESPN covered the races they always referred to a driver, their sponsor and the vehicle manufacturer when talking about them. Dale Earnhardt in the Goodwrench Chevrolet, Bill Elliott in the Coors Ford, Dale Jarrett in the UPS Ford, etc. They would go through the field several times during the race mentioning each driver, their sponsor and manufacturer. ESPN was largely responsible for the increase in viewers of NASCAR. When Fox outbid ESPN, Fox decided they wouldn't mention a drivers sponsor and manufacturer unless the sponsor paid Fox to. It has driven away a lot of sponsors. Now the only real way to follow a driver is online if they happen to be carrying a camera or checking the online running order. It seems like they intentionally keep camera angles wide so the sponsor names can't be read. The colors of the cars seem to change every week.

Back when ESPN covered the races they always referred to a driver, their sponsor and the vehicle manufacturer when talking about them. Dale Earnhardt in the Goodwrench Chevrolet, Bill Elliott in the Coors Ford, Dale Jarrett in the UPS Ford, etc. They would go through the field several times during the race mentioning each driver, their sponsor and manufacturer. ESPN was largely responsible for the increase in viewers of NASCAR. When Fox outbid ESPN, Fox decided they wouldn't mention a drivers sponsor and manufacturer unless the sponsor paid Fox to. It has driven away a lot of sponsors. Now the only real way to follow a driver is online if they happen to be carrying a camera or checking the online running order. It seems like they intentionally keep camera angles wide so the sponsor names can't be read. The colors of the cars seem to change every week.
Yes, that's what I mean about a guy like Chase Elliot. I can't even picture what his car looks like in my head right now cause it's different every damn week! Imagine if the Dallas Cowboys showed up with different uniforms and colors every game.

Yes, that's what I mean about a guy like Chase Elliot. I can't even picture what his car looks like in my head right now cause it's different every damn week! Imagine if the Dallas Cowboys showed up with different uniforms and colors every game.

The NFL is doing that too with the awful color rush uniforms. At least the whole team wears the same thing. It's not like trying to pick one car out of 30.

NASCAR got full of itself. Why have announcers wearing suits. They increased prices until fans stopped coming to races. Between tickets and concessions. The local motels and restaurants raise their prices for the NASCAR weekends.

I partially blame the sponsors for Nascar's lack of stars. They've turned the drivers into boring robots so they don't risk offending anyone.

I think becoming a star in Nascar would be extremely simple. Go out and get you some redneck sponsors like Keystone Light. Win a race and instead of getting out of the car and just talking about how the car was loose in turn 3, stand up on the roof, crack open a couple Keystone Lights and shotgun them Stone Cold style. Get on the mic and sincerely thank every person in the crowd for showing up and thank everyone for watching at home. Let the crowd know that you enjoyed whooping Denny Hamlin's ass and then invite them all out to the local watering hole to celebrate with you and your crew on tonight's win.

Boom. Instant fan favorite.

Fans are looking for someone real. Not some no talented rich kid who has a ride because his daddy is affiliated with some big sponsor. Problem is that not many "real" drivers can make it to cup because they weren't born with silver spoons in their mouths.

Back