2021 Heavies Awards: Fighter Of The Year - Winner: Charles Oliveira

Who’s Your 2021 Fighter of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't imagine why I would choose Juliana pena over Valentina Shevchenko or even Rose. Either one deserves to be up here more than Pena.
If you think a split decision win, and a ko over Weili is a bigger accomplishment than finishing nunes (never mind the mcmann fight), I’m not quite sure anyone would convince you otherwise

Charlie gets my vote. He had an incredible run in 2022.

If you think a split decision win, and a ko over Weili is a bigger accomplishment than finishing nunes (never mind the mcmann fight), I’m not quite sure anyone would convince you otherwise
I think together, yes, yes they definitely are. I really don't see a good argument for Pena over Rose or Valentina.

I think Usman is the best welterweight of all-time but I think Oliveria had the better year. His fights were not against opponents he had already beaten before & he had to dig down deep to overcome both opponents and did with decisive finishes both times. Chandler was a slight underdog while Poirer was a slight favorite according to betting odds.

Really hard for me to choose between Charles and Usman, but I will go with Charles because he finished all his fights and has come a very long way from the wilting prelim guy, he has improved so much.
Was hard for me too. I’m actually really satisfied with how close this pill is. Gonna come down to the wire it feels like

Oliveira for me. While I def give props to Usman for defending 3x, 2 of those 3 opponents didn’t deserve the title fights in the first place. Masvidal isn’t #1 contender material at all and didn’t earn either of those fights (props to him for stepping up short notice for the first one though). Colby in no way deserved his TS in 2021 either. So for those reasons, I think Oliveira’s wins over Chandler and Poirier are superior.

Damn it's shaping up to be quite a battle between Usman and Oliviera in the poll.

I like Oliviera more but this one must go to Usman imo. It's close but Usman has one more title win.

The perception of Charles has totally changed though. He's my breakout fighter of the year

Tough call as I have huge amounts of respect for both Oli and Usman and both had top notch years.

Think Oos edges it though...

Yvx6u0C.gif

Charles without a doubt. Far better wins than Usman had, but Usman had a good year too.

I just don't rate Colby high. He literally has no good wins, and would not be top 10 in GSP's era. Usman would, though. He would be competitive with GSP. Georges would obliterate Coby. And of course ko'ing Mas is notable.

Last edited:
Gone Peña. To beat an athlete as impressive and experienced as McMann and then one as dominant as Nunes is otherworldly.
McMann got submitted by a child at a grappling event. It's not a great win, she isn't good.

Usman. What Oliveira has accomplished is impressive but this is a pretty easy call imho. Beating Burns, Covington, and Masvidal for three title defenses is a great year.

Also there are a few other candidates who should be on there.

Back