2021 Heavies Awards: Fight of the Year(winner: Gaethje vs Chandler)

Your 2021 heavies fight of the year

• Santiago Ponzinibbio def. Miguel Baeza

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mads Burnell def. Emmanuel Sanchez

• Spike Carlyle def. Dan Moret

• Jose Aldo def. Rob Font

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 405583

P4P Worst Mod on Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
mN4PKbc.jpg
So many amazing and exciting moments have happened this year, and it has been my honor to share them with all of you. Whether it's a great knock out, a quick submission, or even a DOCTA STOPPAGE!!!! sharing those experiences makes it that much better. But let's be honest, nothing really beats an inspired back and forth where neither fighter wants to give an inch and both give their sacrafice to the JBG. So I would like to thank the PBP CREW and the ENTIRE sherdog community for sharing these candidates for FIGHT OF THE YEAR with me.
tumblr_n8cyufvUbU1svcccto3_500.gif

• Jan. 20 | Mike Davis def. Mason Jones via UD | UFC on ESPN 20
  • May 1 | Jiri Prochazka def. Dominick Reyes R2 4:29 via KO (Spinning Back Elbow) | UFC on ESPN 23
  • May 15 | Charles Oliveira def. Michael Chandler R2 0:10 via TKO (Punches) | UFC 262
  • June 5 | Santiago Ponzinibbio def. Miguel Baeza by UD | UFC Fight Night 189
  • July 24 | T.J. Dillashaw def. Cory Sandhagen via SD | UFC on ESPN 27
  • July 31 | Mads Burnell def. Emmanuel Sanchez via UD | Bellator 263
    Sanchez-Burnell.jpg
    mads-burnell-blue-gloves-and-emmanuel-sanchez-red-gloves-during-263-picture-id1234365478

Voting ends in 5 days!!!!!
Much luv
REBELFETT
tumblr_psmqshCNuT1xn7nzzo2_r1_500.gifv

Sept. 25 | Alexander Volkanovski def. Brian Ortega via UD | UFC 266
Oct. 30 | Petr Yan def. Cory Sandhagen via UD | UFC 267
Nov. 6 | Rose Namajunas def. Weili Zhang via SD | UFC 268
Nov. 6 | Justin Gaethje def. Michael Chandler via UD | UFC 268
Nov. 13 | Max Holloway def. Yair Rodriguez via UD | UFC FN 197

Lot of great fights this year, but I just had to vote for Gaethje/Chandler. The energy in the room during that fight was INSANE. There were about 10 of us watching and it was nonstop screaming and yelling and jumping around. Rollercoaster of a fight.

Voted Holloway vs. Rodriguez. It was 5 rounds, technical, exciting, momentum swings and an underdog who showed exactly who he was after a long time away from the game.

Close fight too.

Volk VS Ortega by far.

Notable mention: Yan VS Sandhagen, great fight, Gaethje vs Chandler, great old man style brawl.

But skill wise, action wise, has to be Volk vs Ortega. Even if you're not a Volk fan you have to appreciate the toughness and willingness to die that Ortega displayed.

Basically it had the skill levels of the Yan-Sandhagen fight combined with the bloodbath from the Gaethje-Chandler fight.

Volk VS Ortega by far.

Notable mention: Yan VS Sandhagen, great fight, Gaethje vs Chandler, great old man style brawl.

But skill wise, action wise, has to be Volk vs Ortega. Even if you're not a Volk fan you have to appreciate the toughness and willingness to die that Ortega displayed.

Basically it had the skill levels of the Yan-Sandhagen fight combined with the bloodbath from the Gaethje-Chandler fight.
Volk/Ortega is actually my #2. Yeah Volk won 49-46, but that's the most competitive 49-46 i think i've ever seen.

Unpopular opinion but i thought Izzy/Jan was weirdly... immersive? I don't know but obviously wasn't like Izzy/Gastelum but more like Whittaker/Till, not a fight I'd rewatch much but I still kinda loved it.

My heart rate was about 120-125 that whole fight. The no crowd, no talk between fighters, odd pace, shitty commentary all had my head and heart twisted up. Not even much talk from the coaches. Just complete silence.

And that last round, wow. Jan just poured it on.

Volk/Ortega is actually my #2. Yeah Volk won 49-46, but that's the most competitive 49-46 i think i've ever seen.
So much heart in that fight. Lots of fights get called battles but that one was a legit battle.

Ortega not knowing where he was between rounds and still fighting. Volk surviving in a fucking vacuum of a sub. Wild wild fight.

Justin vs Chandler is the most overrated boring fight of all time

And this is also because my stream cut out and I missed it. It's not the same thing watching after.

Back