Elections 2018 Riksdag (Sweden)

Turkey was definitely secular for almost a century, but it's getting to be a stretch to describe them that way now.

Also, can't one describe a country with a heavy religious majority as a country of that religion? It doesn't mean their government is a theocracy. So in 1950 Turkey was a Muslim country with a secular government.

I dont think it would be fair to call a country with any particular religion majority that way. Most countries have a majority religion of some sort. Many countries can and should be described as secular, especially in the west.

Turkey was definitely secular for almost a century, but it's getting to be a stretch to describe them that way now.

Also, can't one describe a country with a heavy religious majority as a country of that religion? It doesn't mean their government is a theocracy. So in 1950 Turkey was a Muslim country with a secular government.
I would prefer to call countries with Sharia law, official religion and stuff like that Islamic.

Very true, there is too late to change the course for Sweden. It would be one thing that the common man wakes up and demands change but it would take too long time reconstruct the authorities and government agencies that have been marinated in activism and progressiveness.

One key example of that is a report made by inspectors from the Schengen Area. They came to Sweden to study the protection of the Swedish borders. They were alarmed and urged that FORTEX must assist Sweden like they did with Greece. The Swedish police silenced the report because it was a sensitive time due to the upcoming election. The staff at the biggest airports were not educated and didn't not know what to do, they even called their screenings of potential criminals and terrorists as ploys.

Add such abysmal handling of Swedish borders, state of media, activists in government agencies, lack of prosecutors, lack of police, change of demography and a constant influx of economic migrants and it all boils down to one giant cluster f*ck!

But on a positive note, what we lack in prosecutors and judges, we make up with equality strategist that oversees the Swedish court proceedings that they are conforming to gender equality (it's not like women don't get off easier already).

The Centrists and the so-called Liberals are not onboard with him as the new PM, hopefully that can change. Their argument is that they don't want to rule if that means that the Swedish Democrats will have influence over the politics. They rather work with the Social Democrats that now has major problems with their youth league that are embedded with Islamists that invite radical Islamic preachers that spew hate against Jews, homosexuals and atheists.

The Centrists and the so-called Liberals are not onboard with him as the new PM, hopefully that can change. Their argument is that they don't want to rule if that means that the Swedish Democrats will have influence over the politics. They rather work with the Social Democrats that now has major problems with their youth league that are embedded with Islamists that invite radical Islamic preachers that spew hate against Jews, homosexuals and atheists.

t2618.gif

To be clear that issue is in the youth party in one of the counties (Skåne), it's not the entire youth party. It's definitely still very bad for a well-established party, but given the amount of scandals in SD one still needs to view the entire context of what C and L are choosing between.

It's disappointing that they are refusing to rule with the support by SD, but it is to be expected as that's what they've said during the entire election process and, especially given how strong the support is among their voters for that stance, they would be letting their voters down if they didn't fight for that. What I do have an issue with is how they were so bent on having the Alliance rule with the support of S, which would never happen so that just doesn't feel serious. It would be political suicide by S to become a support party for the Alliance. Their current stance of the Alliance + MP makes more sense, but still doesn't result in a majority and there's a definitive clash of policies with MP (although I guess MP could theoretically bend on a lot due to their weak position).

To be clear that issue is in the youth party in one of the counties (Skåne), it's not the entire youth party. It's definitely still very bad for a well-established party, but given the amount of scandals in SD one still needs to view the entire context of what C and L are choosing between.
Fair point but the Social Democrats are infiltrated with the Muslim brotherhood. So it's a major problem and not solely an issue in the youth league in southern Sweden.

https://ledarsidorna.se/2017/02/pla...sh-prime-minister-and-the-muslim-brotherhood/

It's disappointing that they are refusing to rule with the support by SD, but it is to be expected as that's what they've said during the entire election process and, especially given how strong the support is among their voters for that stance, they would be letting their voters down if they didn't fight for that. What I do have an issue with is how they were so bent on having the Alliance rule with the support of S, which would never happen so that just doesn't feel serious. It would be political suicide by S to become a support party for the Alliance. Their current stance of the Alliance + MP makes more sense, but still doesn't result in a majority and there's a definitive clash of policies with MP (although I guess MP could theoretically bend on a lot due to their weak position).
Good breakdown.

The centrist party's voters would be very upset but in several surveys after the election, the liberal's voters would be ok with such cooperation.
https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/de-flesta-av-ms-valjare-vill-samarbeta-med-sd/

But at the end of day, it's very childlike. The Centrists and Liberals are cooperating with the Leftist party in many municipalities, that is a party with a much worse history than SD's which makes all of this talk about SD not being a party like others a moot point.

Good breakdown.

The centrist party's voters would be very upset but in several surveys after the election, the liberal's voters would be ok with such cooperation.
https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/de-flesta-av-ms-valjare-vill-samarbeta-med-sd/

But at the end of day, it's very childlike. The Centrists and Liberals are cooperating with the Leftist party in many municipalities, that is a party with a much worse history than SD's which makes all of this talk about SD not being a party like others a moot point.

Yes, it's interesting that the L voters have changed that much, but with Björklund as the leader I don't think their stance will change. There were some talk about some in the party not being happy with him, but that kind of died out so I don't know whether anything will come of it. I think that C and L might be positioning themselves to gain more power, with Lööf probably trying to become minister of state.

To play the Devil's advocate I would point out that the bad history of V (the main party) is much further in the past than the one of SD, so the former has had much more time to become accepted by a wider group of people. In both cases I think they should be treated as they are now though, not what they might have been in the past. I was however surprised to see V openly show some real communist signs again during this election when Sjöstedt talked about the idea of removing ownership right to companies, which is a very extreme idea.

There's also a difference between national politics and municipality politics, and parties on municipality level aren't always like the main party. To really get into that you'd probably have to look a bit into individual cases.

All in all this election keeps being a mess with no clear resolution in sight. Someone will have to bend to avoid a reelection, and if the politicians are responsible they will make sure to avoid that. But who wants to be the one that folds?

Yes, it's interesting that the L voters have changed that much, but with Björklund as the leader I don't think their stance will change. There were some talk about some in the party not being happy with him, but that kind of died out so I don't know whether anything will come of it. I think that C and L might be positioning themselves to gain more power, with Lööf probably trying to become minister of state.

To play the Devil's advocate I would point out that the bad history of V (the main party) is much further in the past than the one of SD, so the former has had much more time to become accepted by a wider group of people. In both cases I think they should be treated as they are now though, not what they might have been in the past. I was however surprised to see V openly show some real communist signs again during this election when Sjöstedt talked about the idea of removing ownership right to companies, which is a very extreme idea.

There's also a difference between national politics and municipality politics, and parties on municipality level aren't always like the main party. To really get into that you'd probably have to look a bit into individual cases.

All in all this election keeps being a mess with no clear resolution in sight. Someone will have to bend to avoid a reelection, and if the politicians are responsible they will make sure to avoid that. But who wants to be the one that folds?
Good points again!

For Annie Lööf, it might be a good move but almost half of the Liberals voters see the Moderates as their second political home and since they are not far from missing the parliament barrier, this move could be the one that sends them packing.

The fact that the Leftist party wants to remove ownership from private companies to the workers and the state, it's a telltale of things to come if they would gain more parliamentary support. As for their history, it's true that they have tried to whitewash much of their history but did you know that they still support communist militants in various countries? https://www.svd.se/vansterpartiet-slussar-bistand-till-extremister

Imagine if SD financed some right wing militia, media would go haywire.

I wholeheartedly agree that cooperating in municipalities is a different issue but one just have to look at the moderates' reaction when some of their local politicians began to cooperate with SD, they went ballistic but when they cooperate with the left, they are fine with it. This double standard is troubling to say the least.

Good points again!

For Annie Lööf, it might be a good move but almost half of the Liberals voters see the Moderates as their second political home and since they are not far from missing the parliament barrier, this move could be the one that sends them packing.

The fact that the Leftist party wants to remove ownership from private companies to the workers and the state, it's a telltale of things to come if they would gain more parliamentary support. As for their history, it's true that they have tried to whitewash much of their history but did you know that they still support communist militants in various countries? https://www.svd.se/vansterpartiet-slussar-bistand-till-extremister

Imagine if SD financed some right wing militia, media would go haywire.

I wholeheartedly agree that cooperating in municipalities is a different issue but one just have to look at the moderates' reaction when some of their local politicians began to cooperate with SD, they went ballistic but when they cooperate with the left, they are fine with it. This double standard is troubling to say the least.

It's a fine line to walk for L. They are in the danger zone so losing more voters could be catastrophic, but at the same time they need to try to stand out in order to attract more voters in the future so they have to take some risk.

Thanks for that link. I had somehow managed to miss that news but it was an interesting read and it certainly ties back the party much stronger to it's communist past.

I think the difference is just what I said before, that SD is a much younger party that hasn't had time to establish themselves politically to the extent that they've gathered support among the population. The closest equivalents in Denmark and Norway had a much slower rise, but they've been around for a longer time and are now a natural part of their political scene and I think that transition will eventually take place in Sweden as well. Whether V will be called out stronger for things they've done I don't know. I think it's up to the other parties to do that and since all the Alliance parties still say that both SD and V are extremist parties they should have incentive to do so.

The US Government is shut down, Sweden still doesn't have one three-plus months after the election. This isn't really what one would hope for in regards to becoming "More European", but I guess it's a start?

740x-1.png

740x-1.png

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...-political-mess-to-almost-having-a-government

Sweden’s Social Democratic leader Stefan Lofven is poised to win another four years in power after persuading the Left Party to stand aside, allowing his new centrist government to block the nationalists from influence.

Lofven is set to prevail Friday in a prime minister vote, ending a four-month spell without a formal government -- the longest in Sweden’s history. He was formally nominated by the speaker on Wednesday after two days of intense talks with his former allies in the Left Party.

After an inconclusive election in September, Sweden’s traditional blocs are now splintering as the political map is redrawn. The country faces a future with a fragile coalition operating inside a political landscape in which nationalism has gained ground and establishment parties have suffered body blows.

Lofven, who served as prime minister over the past four years and led his party to its worst election result in a century, said he was “humble” after receiving the nomination.

Driven by a mutual commitment to keep the anti-immigration Sweden Democrats from wielding influence, Lofven was able to reconcile the agenda of a party that once identified itself as communist with that of parties favoring tax cuts and deregulation. He also made some hefty concessions, promising tax cuts and more labor market flexibility.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...-political-mess-to-almost-having-a-government

Sweden’s Social Democratic leader Stefan Lofven is poised to win another four years in power after persuading the Left Party to stand aside, allowing his new centrist government to block the nationalists from influence.

Lofven is set to prevail Friday in a prime minister vote, ending a four-month spell without a formal government -- the longest in Sweden’s history. He was formally nominated by the speaker on Wednesday after two days of intense talks with his former allies in the Left Party.

After an inconclusive election in September, Sweden’s traditional blocs are now splintering as the political map is redrawn. The country faces a future with a fragile coalition operating inside a political landscape in which nationalism has gained ground and establishment parties have suffered body blows.

Lofven, who served as prime minister over the past four years and led his party to its worst election result in a century, said he was “humble” after receiving the nomination.

Driven by a mutual commitment to keep the anti-immigration Sweden Democrats from wielding influence, Lofven was able to reconcile the agenda of a party that once identified itself as communist with that of parties favoring tax cuts and deregulation. He also made some hefty concessions, promising tax cuts and more labor market flexibility.
They're going to keep fighting the more "nationalistic" parties to the bitter end, won't they? Suck that it will probably lend even more momentum to the pendulum unless an unlikely compromise can be made. At least that's how I see it.

I proclaim swedish social democracy dead in everything but its name. Swedish politics is nothing but a centrist soup by politicans that lack both the backbone and political will to face actual issues. Shifting a percantage there and there is where politics end in Sweden. This right-left goverment is a joke and a sham. Hopefully it fails soon so we can get a reelection and some of the parties responsible falls under the 4%. Like MP, the most useless party to ever exist.

They're going to keep fighting the more "nationalistic" parties to the bitter end, won't they? Suck that it will probably lend even more momentum to the pendulum unless an unlikely compromise can be made. At least that's how I see it.

I saw a survey conducted for Svenska Dagbladet which had a strong 50% who viewed this arrangement as overtly negative.

I proclaim swedish social democracy dead in everything but its name. Swedish politics is nothing but a centrist soup by politicans that lack both the backbone and political will to face actual issues. Shifting a percantage there and there is where politics end in Sweden. This right-left goverment is a joke and a sham. Hopefully it fails soon so we can get a reelection and some of the parties responsible falls under the 4%. Like MP, the most useless party to ever exist.

Hah, I was actually just about to tag you and would've done so in the OP if I had been familiar with you back in August. You're an awesome poster - very independent views on myriad subjects - and welcome to do the unthinkable by jumping ship to the Evil Empire if it ever gets too bad. :D

It’s comical how so many people are invested in the politics of a small country they’ve never stepped foot in.

It’s comical how so many people are invested in the politics of a small country they’ve never stepped foot in.

Uff da, I spent half a day in Gothenburg and have been back to Norway several times though. This comment would normally be quite on point in any other by the numbers "lol @ Sweden" thread. That's not what it is, and instead of a brainless trollfest it's predominantly been Swedish citizens having detailed discussions. Anyone with a legitimate interest has certainly become more informed as a result. And yeah, the election was a good acid test for the multiculturalism project in the EU, but given the controversy surrounding the results (for some) the answers probably weren't satisfactory.

Back