200 dead bodies on Mt Everest

Everest has been ruined by being thronged with wealthy tourists. Sherpas do everything but wipe their ass for them. You have 60 year old Indian businessmen slowly trudging along sucking through oxygen tanks (all schlepped up by Sherpas) at an incredible rate, moving along fixed ropes and ladders. It's embarrassing.

everest-climb-09102012_fe.jpg

Long+queues+of+roughly+300+climbers,+guides,+and+Sherpas+crowded+onto+the+upper+slopes+of+Everest%27s+Southeast+Ridge

Ahahahahahahahaha

My point exactly. Who the hell would want to do that?

Ahahahahahahahaha

My point exactly. Who the hell would want to do that?

Lol! I knew it was bad, but damn! Not that bad!

It is rather sad to see what it has become though.
Those people are basically paying to be treated like a cattle! Being rounded up and marched up the mountain.

That's not the spirit of mountaineering/climbing mountain!

They've been quite lucky not to lose 50+ climbers in a random avalanche. All I see there is a line of death, and total disrespect for the mountain. It's completely against the spirit of mountaineering and climbing as I understand it.
That's want happened in ' into thin air' group was too big and they took too long crossing a ladder bridge and got caught in a storm

I wonder what goes through people's head as they are preparing for Everest or k2. I wonder if they underestimate it, or they realize the risks and go anyways.

I have respect for the serious mountaineers, sherpas, etc, but nobody should be expecting someone to wait on them in such an extreme environment.

You're wrong. You forgot the instinct that is altruism. When in times of old one would sacrifice themselves for others. Now, this is incredibly rare. So I think thrill seekers are seeking the same biologic response that they would receive from helping those in danger

I don't think that is it at all. It is true that people respond differently to placing themselves in harm's way, and a certain percentage of people respond positively to such situations. The minority is risk-seeking while the majority is risk-averse. But it has nothing to do with altruism. It comes about because having some individuals in a grould taking great risks can yield great rewards that the entire group by extension benefits from.

Unfortunately IMO, these opportunities are now so rare and/or socially unacceptable that those who are risk-seekers are reduced to take great risks with zero tangible rewards to satisfy their built in need for risky behavior.

Take as an example one of my favorite human enterprise ever - the Varangian traders that sailed across the river systems of eastern Europe in the 900s and 1000s AD. These guys travelled on longboats from Sweden to Constantinopel, dragging their boats over portages between different rivers, circumventing waterfalls and rapids by dragging or in some instances taking their ships apart board by board, nail by nail and re-assembling them on the other side of the rapids. Every time they came ashore they risked being attacked by wild Slavic and Turkomen tribes. This was an incredibly dangerous trip, especially in the early decades before the fortified waystations were build that took several years, and many ships did not make it. At least once an entire fleet, reputedly of as many as 200 ships, was attacked and annihilated by Pecheneg horse archers in the Crimea. If you miscalculated you'd end up going over a waterfall or being crushed in the rapids, and if you ship was sunk, or you got lost, you were hundreds of miles away from the nearest semi-civilized settlement. Good luck with that!

And once you got to Constantinopel, you then had to get back again.

I am sure that the guys who went on these trips, and either made vast fortunes on them or died trying were individuals with a similar mindset at today's thrillseekers, be they mountaineers, deep-sea divers, cave explorers or whatnot. Something at least seperated them who chose to stay at home and just farm the land.

But the difference, to my way of thinking at least, is that the Varangians, much like all adventurers and explorers of old took the risks they did with the clear goal in mind to better their lot in life and elevate their social standing by undertaking the journey, and I

That'S nuts. any sources please?

That must mean that there are dozens and dozens of Chinese soldiers bodies up there.

Guess that is where they did their mnt training for their conflicts with India.

I've read it several times in mountaineering books. Not sure how many died -I don't believe anyone knows

Lemme see what I can find.

For you Mountaineers out there, I'm going to get to hang out with Art Davidson this summer outside of Anchorage. He wrote the book "Minus 148" which is a good way to measure your desire to climb any of the mountains on this list.

there are plenty of new experiences you can enjoy without a high risk of death

Yes but you will never have a chance to experience what people like Roberta Mancino, Chris Sharma, Herbert Nitsch, Jeb Corliss, Neil Armstrong, and many others experienced.

You either are born with urgent to push further and enjoy the thrills and experience of new wonderful things or... Be a average Mr. Joe who do what numerous people have and can easily done.

I chose the least travel path and am fully aware that I have a very good chance of dying.
However I'd rather to do few of those great exciting things and get killed doing it than live a sentry life style and croak in hospital home.

For you Mountaineers out there, I'm going to get to hang out with Art Davidson this summer outside of Anchorage. He wrote the book "Minus 148" which is a good way to measure your desire to climb any of the mountains on this list.
Thats awesome!!! Please come and tell us about it!
Personally I'm not big into mountaineering as I prefer to climb or explore caves. However I still enjoy reading about them and would love to hang out with some of well known mountaineer one day.

Yes but you will never have a chance to experience what people like Roberta Mancino, Chris Sharma, Herbert Nitsch, Jeb Corliss, Neil Armstrong, and many others experienced.

You either are born with urgent to push further and enjoy the thrills and experience of new wonderful things or... Be a average Mr. Joe who do what numerous people have and can easily done.

I chose the least travel path and am fully aware that I have a very good chance of dying.
However I'd rather to do few of those great exciting things and get killed doing it than live a sentry life style and croak in hospital home.

when you do something ground breaking come back and gloat, until then get over yourself. christ comparing yourself to neil armstrong

when you do something ground breaking come back and gloat, until then get over yourself. christ comparing yourself to neil armstrong

I have no urgent to travel to space asshole.
The reason I put Armstrong up there is because he did something groundbreaking and was someone who push the border and limit to extreme.
I'm not saying those people are better than him. I'm saying those people are ones of very few lucky people who got to do something that most humans would considers impossible and wish they have the balls to do.
Btw I have no desire to beat what those people accomplish. But I certainly do live to enjoy the thrills they do and I certain do a lot things only few will ever had a chance to. I'm sure there are some here on sherdog too.

Thats awesome!!! Please come and tell us about it!
Personally I'm not big into mountaineering as I prefer to climb or explore caves. However I still enjoy reading about them and would love to hang out with some of well known mountaineer one day.

Definitely will. My who is long time friends with art is arranging it. he told art how stoked I was on that book.

I'm not on Tomax' climbing level or anything, just an enthusiast of adventure, exploration, and natural beauty.

Definitely will. My who is long time friends with art is arranging it. he told art how stoked I was on that book.

I'm not on Tomax' climbing level or anything, just an enthusiast of adventure, exploration, and natural beauty.

Awesome! I doubt I'm on Tomax's level either.
I do love hiking and stuff, but I hike as part of job everyday for half of year. So when I have free time I just want to do other things outdoor.
But I still love being outside and doing adventure and I'm also a adrenaline junkie as well.

Have you ever summited anything major?

I don't think that is it at all. It is true that people respond differently to placing themselves in harm's way, and a certain percentage of people respond positively to such situations. The minority is risk-seeking while the majority is risk-averse. But it has nothing to do with altruism. It comes about because having some individuals in a grould taking great risks can yield great rewards that the entire group by extension benefits from.

Unfortunately IMO, these opportunities are now so rare and/or socially unacceptable that those who are risk-seekers are reduced to take great risks with zero tangible rewards to satisfy their built in need for risky behavior.

Take as an example one of my favorite human enterprise ever - the Varangian traders that sailed across the river systems of eastern Europe in the 900s and 1000s AD. These guys travelled on longboats from Sweden to Constantinopel, dragging their boats over portages between different rivers, circumventing waterfalls and rapids by dragging or in some instances taking their ships apart board by board, nail by nail and re-assembling them on the other side of the rapids. Every time they came ashore they risked being attacked by wild Slavic and Turkomen tribes. This was an incredibly dangerous trip, especially in the early decades before the fortified waystations were build that took several years, and many ships did not make it. At least once an entire fleet, reputedly of as many as 200 ships, was attacked and annihilated by Pecheneg horse archers in the Crimea. If you miscalculated you'd end up going over a waterfall or being crushed in the rapids, and if you ship was sunk, or you got lost, you were hundreds of miles away from the nearest semi-civilized settlement. Good luck with that!

And once you got to Constantinopel, you then had to get back again.

I am sure that the guys who went on these trips, and either made vast fortunes on them or died trying were individuals with a similar mindset at today's thrillseekers, be they mountaineers, deep-sea divers, cave explorers or whatnot. Something at least seperated them who chose to stay at home and just farm the land.

But the difference, to my way of thinking at least, is that the Varangians, much like all adventurers and explorers of old took the risks they did with the clear goal in mind to better their lot in life and elevate their social standing by undertaking the journey, and I

I've read it several times in mountaineering books. Not sure how many died -I don't believe anyone knows

Lemme see what I can find.

yeah, or even just write down what you remember. Seems really interesting. Who had a stick up their butt about Everest? As why would you deploy troops up there? Seems super expensive and beyond what is needed for mtn training.

BTW my Dad was a green Beretm and did mtn training. He said the Chileans and Italians prolly have the best training programs in the world. Or did so in the 1980's

Back