200 dead bodies on Mt Everest

Here's a run down on the expedition the documentary was based on. I think.

I think the part that I remember was in the bottleneck or the sereacs. You didn't actually see the Japanese (Korean?) dude fall. There was a break in the video coverage, and then it cuts in and the narrator is like "<name> fell to his just a few minutes ago....etc." And then they continued on.

Anyway the mountain is evil. A completely different level than Everest. Almost the whole climb is technical. You can see in the clips just how ridiculously steep it is.

Last edited:
Some like living on the edge literally. They just like to push the limits that most won't it their choice alone. Let them be. :icon_arro

Wow never seen footage of K2. How can you climb that? Was too steep and technical esp at that alt

Wow never seen footage of K2. How can you climb that? Was too steep and technical esp at that alt

Toward the top it's slopes are 60-70 degrees and technical climbing for almost the entirety of every route. However when it gets that steep the avalanche danger goes away significantly so it's kind of a trade off. Even so the 2 main routes join below the "bottleneck" which is a tremendous avalanche danger that looms above the entire south route (google it) -you have to traverse below it for several hundred meters and it lets loose several times a day or week depending on the weather. The area has killed a tremendous percentage of climbers. Because K2 is so technical, I believe most climbers have died on the much more dangerous descent when minds are tired, bodies are worn, and the snow has loosened from the rays of the sun.

Man screw K2. I looked up the Hillary step on Everest and that looked pretty daunting for being in the death zone. While most of K2 looks like the Hillary step. To me getting down is always harder than going up. Being exhausted and oxygen starved would make anything at that alt dangerous.

BTW into thin air, at that time a storm occurred that may have lowered oxygen levels by 17%. Would love to do that, but seems like nature wants you dead up there

K2 is still the only 8000M peak not to be summit-ed during winter scary mountain

Regarding Teh K2, the craziness lies in all of the things that are out of your control, more so statistically than almost every other mountain. Combined with the technicality of the climb at such high elevations for such long periods, all the way to the summit, it really becomes a dice roll. 4 sided die. Pick a number that is death then roll. Now that would be a thrill. Worse than Russian Roulette.

Man screw K2. I looked up the Hillary step on Everest and that looked pretty daunting for being in the death zone. While most of K2 looks like the Hillary step. To me getting down is always harder than going up. Being exhausted and oxygen starved would make anything at that alt dangerous.

BTW into thin air, at that time a storm occurred that may have lowered oxygen levels by 17%. Would love to do that, but seems like nature wants you dead up there

Yeah I read that too about oxygen levels perhaps diving during those storms. Pretty insane to think it could get even worse than the regular death zone

It's crazy that people feel the need to climb these mountains. Those corpses can either create fear or inspiration. Fear that you'll be next or inspiration that you made it further than the guy on the ground and to keep going.

It's crazy that people feel the need to climb these mountains. Those corpses can either create fear or inspiration. Fear that you'll be next or inspiration that you made it further than the guy on the ground and to keep going.

Problem is many of those dead bodies happened on the way down so for all you know that dead guy made way further than you so far:D

Dude, I live in Joshua Tree! Hands down the best place to smoke a j with your friends then go rock climbing under the light of the moon in the middle of the night inside the National Park. There's nothing too crazy about any of the climbs either which makes it more fun (not trying to die or anything, just enjoy the nice views).

Its probably my favorite place to go that is readily accessible from Los Angeles. I actually went out there to car camp this weekend and literally just got back.

As to the bolded, yes and yes.

Check this one out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annapurna_I

"The Annapurna peaks are among the world's most dangerous mountains to climb, although in more recent history, using figures from only 1990 and after, Kangchenjunga has a higher fatality rate. As of the end of 2009, there had been 157 summit ascents of Annapurna I, and 60 climbing fatalities on the mountain.This fatality-to-summit ratio (38%) is the highest of any of the eight-thousanders. In particular, the ascent via the south face is considered, by some, the most difficult of all climbs."

2 out of every 5 people who have tried to climb it have died. That's almost a coin-toss. You have to have balls of brass or no sense at all to try that feat.

Check this one out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annapurna_I

"The Annapurna peaks are among the world's most dangerous mountains to climb, although in more recent history, using figures from only 1990 and after, Kangchenjunga has a higher fatality rate. As of the end of 2009, there had been 157 summit ascents of Annapurna I, and 60 climbing fatalities on the mountain.This fatality-to-summit ratio (38%) is the highest of any of the eight-thousanders. In particular, the ascent via the south face is considered, by some, the most difficult of all climbs."

2 out of every 5 people who have tried to climb it have died. That's almost a coin-toss. You have to have balls of brass or no sense at all to try that feat.

I've seen that come up a lot itt, and what that statistic means is that for every successful summit, there x number of deaths. So not nearly 38% of people that try end up dead- most don't make it near the summit. But that stat is still holy-fucking-shit high, and a great way to show just how dangerous it is up there.

Everest is a foothill compared to some of the peaks in countries like Tibet and Nepal, where climbers avoid them because the mountains are off limits to everybody, or they are just so soul crushingly remote and inhospitable that search and rescue would be outright impossible.

Back