20 rep squat routine

GeekGoneBad

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi,

I've lurked around here for about a week and thought it seemed a pretty sweet place to join. After reading the FAQ on here I've switched to the 20 rep squat routine. I've always squatted to parallel so had to drop my weight by 25lbs when going ATG. I just wanted to ask a question about that workout plan... (20 rep squat followed by a 3 circuits of pull ups, dips, crunches. 3 times a week). Is it enough? I'm not doing DLs, or Clean & Press. Should I modify it to include those sometimes? What did other people do when they followed that plan? Thanks in advance.

The plan has been tried and proven. Start the program and give it a few sessions. If you feel you need to modify it then do so.

*waits for smartass picture from Chase T*

forgot-password.jpg

It's a good program. Between the 20 rep squats and the stiff-legged-deadlifts, you're going to get a bunch of hamstring/glute involvement. In addition, the program is hard on your CNS, especially if you are doing it three times a week. As taxing as the deadlift is, you'd likely be asking for burnout.

*cough* what SLDL's? *cough*

I thought it was 1x20 squat, then a circuit of Pull-ups, dips, and decline sit-ups with a minute rest in between each exercise... done 3 times... correct me if I'm wrong but there are no stiff legged deads.

He didn't pull a Lusst...

And from my understandin', chaseG is right... Unless you add 'em in, there's no SLDLs in Squats & Milk...

chaseg started a new account because he forgot the password on his first account after having it for less than a month. We could start a betting pool to see how long it takes him to forget the new password and stop posting with this account.

From my experience with 20 reppers, you don't need to add a thing. Each workout only lasts about 30-40 mins, but by the end of it you want to die and you'll be happy for your rest days.

chaseg started a new account because he forgot the password on his first account after having it for less than a month. We could start a betting pool to see how long it takes him to forget the new password and stop posting with this account.

I totally missed that...

*cough* what SLDL's? *cough*

I thought it was 1x20 squat, then a circuit of Pull-ups, dips, and decline sit-ups with a minute rest in between each exercise... done 3 times... correct me if I'm wrong but there are no stiff legged deads.

I think in the book super squats, which is the book written on 20 rep squats, it has sldl's. The routine in the faq isn't the only way to do 20 rep squats, it's just a really good proven effective way to do them.

I am kind of warming up to ChaseT's stabs at me and my days just don't seems complete without them :)

Oh and by the way ChaseT... at least I know what a suitcase DL is....

FWIW, Dr. Ken Leistner(writer for MILO, the Hardgainer, The Steel Tip, Cyberpump, etc and founder of Iron Island Gym) Always liked to do a set of SLDL for 15 after the 20 rep squats with no rest between. That dou is probably the most intense torture known to man. You lay on the floor for 10 minutes after, then get up and do some upper body work.

Peary Rader's (founder of Iron Man magazine, back when it was a good source of info before he sold it) 20 rep squat routine was Bench Press 2x10, Squat 1x20, Rader chest pull(to stretch the ribcage) 1x20, Bent Over Row, 2x15. This was recommended for skinny guys who had a hard time gaining weight.

So there are many ways to do it. And you know you take at least 3 deep breaths between each squat rep, and even more for reps 15-20 if you need to. Its a rest-pause exercise.

FWIW, Dr. Ken Leistner(writer for MILO, the Hardgainer, The Steel Tip, Cyberpump, etc and founder of Iron Island Gym) Always liked to do a set of SLDL for 15 after the 20 rep squats with no rest between. That dou is probably the most intense torture known to man. You lay on the floor for 10 minutes after, then get up and do some upper body work.

Peary Rader's (founder of Iron Man magazine, back when it was a good source of info before he sold it) 20 rep squat routine was Bench Press 2x10, Squat 1x20, Rader chest pull(to stretch the ribcage) 1x20, Bent Over Row, 2x15. This was recommended for skinny guys who had a hard time gaining weight.

So there are many ways to do it. And you know you take at least 3 deep breaths between each squat rep, and even more for reps 15-20 if you need to. Its a rest-pause exercise.

Yeah I understand that there are many ways to do it... but I just assumed that this thread was about the one linked in the FAQ which is why I said no SLDL's...

Hi,

I've lurked around here for about a week and thought it seemed a pretty sweet place to join. After reading the FAQ on here I've switched to the 20 rep squat routine. I've always squatted to parallel so had to drop my weight by 25lbs when going ATG. I just wanted to ask a question about that workout plan... (20 rep squat followed by a 3 circuits of pull ups, dips, crunches. 3 times a week). Is it enough? I'm not doing DLs, or Clean & Press. Should I modify it to include those sometimes? What did other people do when they followed that plan? Thanks in advance.

You tell us after a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back