20 rep squat routine

I think in the book super squats, which is the book written on 20 rep squats, it has sldl's. The routine in the faq isn't the only way to do 20 rep squats, it's just a really good proven effective way to do them.

You're right about the sldls.

To the TS: The Peary Rader Workout was a simplified form of the circuit from the book Super Squats. I don't have the book handy but this what I remember the routine looking like (source: http://workout-routines.blogspot.com/2006/06/peary-rader-workout.html)

Squats: 1 x 20
Dumbbell Pullover: 1 x 20 (Immediately after squats)
Bench Press or Dips: 2 x 6-8
Barbell Rows or Chins: 2 x 6-8

The rational revolved around heavy breathing squats and pullovers in that they increase lung capacity through 'stretching' the rib cage in conjunction with stimulating overall growth through high rep squats.

Also, one of posters mentioned that the program taxes the CNS quite bit: listen to this advice because it is very easy to burn out on this type of program. The Peary Rader version might suit you better. Even if you trained twice a weak, say Monday & Thursday, or Tuesday &
Friday. So, you could make Monday's workout:

Moderate or Moderately heavy squatting for 20 reps and go moderate to moderately light
Moderate to Moderately Light on the upper body movements.

Friday could be the exact opposite arrangement with moderate to moderately light squatting and moderate to moderately heavy upper body work.

This isn't the type of routine in which you train limit strength. It can build a great foundation from which to develop limit strength, but if you're just starting out you should think of this more as a strength endurance routine that will contribute to overall development.

Thanks guys. You've given me a good amount of food for thought. I'll stick with the routine for at least 2 months before making any modifications or deviations.

Thanks guys. You've given me a good amount of food for thought. I'll stick with the routine for at least 2 months before making any modifications or deviations.

You're going to do 20 rep squats for over two months? Have fun.

Back