1rm's for college football stars

saaavage

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes this is random, however I have to post this for the hell of it...

Has anyone wondered watching these college football players on saturday just how much they can bench? (they usually include squat but never deadlift) as in a webpage that documents the strongest college football players out there?

I know VT has all the weights listed on the players page.....but i wish i could cros sreference reggie bush's bp with leinarts sq and hawks clean and youngs bp, et etc....does anybody feel me?

sorry, I don't think about that :((..I never wonder how much someone can bench., Thats just me.

At the combine, they test bench w/ 225 for max reps. Doesn't make much sense to me, especially for 350 lb. lineman. What the hell is that going to tell you? Certainly doesn't say squat (no pun intended) about the explosive strength they need to drive an equally large man off the line. Furthermore, I've tried the test myself, just to compare, and most of their numbers don't seem very impressive. There are, of course, exceptions.

Thanks Saavage, I'm gonna have to check out VT's page. I would be interested as well, just to see where I would stand.

man, i wanna play football again. Best training and best shape ive ever been in...

Duncon76 said:
sorry, I don't think about that :((..I never wonder how much someone can bench., Thats just me.

yeah even the slightest sense of competition or comparison usually never helps anyone at all.....

ever so often the espn draft pages will have the same info....it is pretty damn interesting actually....i fared a hell of a lto better than i thought i would and dont htink for a second that i didnt drop that fact everytime some rb or dl made a great play on tv to all those around me

Saaavage can ya post a link. I looked at VT's roster and it only gave age, height, and weight. No lifting stats. Are you looking on a different site, not linked through the school?

There is a D-lineman for the Ohio State Buckeyes named Mike Kudla. Coming out of high school in 2001, this is what was said about him.

"Mike Kudla (6-4, 235, 4.46) from Medina Highland, Ohio is one of the most incredible physical specimens that I have ever seen play. Kudla is also the strongest football player that I have ever heard of in high school.
His weight room performance is already mind-boggling, and his strength would put most NFL scouting combines in awe. He has already done 30 reps of 225 pounds. His chest measures 56 inches and his waist is a slim 34 inches."

After his freshman year at OSU - Mike got sick and they weren't sure what was wrong with him.

"Kudla

ITS THE regular site...just look at i believe it is under the 2004 recap....they will put the best lifts that the player had and usually mention the iron hokie program they got going over there.....sometimes if the dude is weak they wont even put teh bp just the squuat or vice versa

Yeah, I found it too. Just browse around. It is under the recap and then weightlifting or something like that. You'll find it. It took me a while to find it, but I did. If I can find it again I'll post the link.

BAS_FAN said:
man, i wanna play football again. Best training and best shape ive ever been in...

Football is overrated, it's all about wrasslin.

fat_wilhelm said:
At the combine, they test bench w/ 225 for max reps. Doesn't make much sense to me, especially for 350 lb. lineman. What the hell is that going to tell you? Certainly doesn't say squat (no pun intended) about the explosive strength they need to drive an equally large man off the line. Furthermore, I've tried the test myself, just to compare, and most of their numbers don't seem very impressive. There are, of course, exceptions.

Because football isnt about being the strongest guy on the feild. Its about being the biggest, fastest and strongest athlete for your position. For example, take me. I can squat alot of weight but for low reps. Ive trained my body to be very strong and trained the specific muscle fibers to handle the weight. However, it would be very difficult for me to transfer that power onto the field because i simply do not have the muscle endurance to apply that kind of strength play after play and qaurter after quarter.
When i did play football, I trained with a light weight (light is a relative term, what may be light for me is heavy for someone else) and for moderatly high reps. That helped me alot on the feild because i was much quicker BUT also strong at the same time. Definietly not as strong as i am now but strong enough to play my position to its highest level.
In terms od explosive strength, most strength and conditioning programs in the NCAA rely on various other exersizes to create that kind of power.
For example...bench press is not considered an explosive lift (especially 1RM) because it isnt done very fast. Obviously if you can thorw up your 1RM quickly, it isnt really your 1RM. Usually the top schools test muscle endurance and strength using the bench press but they test explosive power using the power clean or hang clean. It is impossible for you to clean your 1RM slowly, instead you have to use your explosive power to clean the weight.
jsut thought id clear things up.

PS. Driving an a linemam off the line isnt all strength. its 90% technique. The D-linemen doesnt usually run right at you so half the time you are left trying to block or even grab him to get him down. Cut block are also very popular so as you can see...any coach would take a quick player with smarts over a very strong player.
I was a strong saftey in football but i wasnt put there because i could knock people out with my hits. I was there cause i could read plays and make tackles. I love footbal.

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/

Thanks for the heads up guys, I was looking in the wrong place. You have to look through the player bio's, some have numbers, other's don't. Devin Perez is a beast in the weight room. Saaavage I'm very impressed if your numbers are up there with a lot of those guys. What's your height and weight?

BAS_FAN said:
Because football isnt about being the strongest guy on the feild. Its about being the biggest, fastest and strongest athlete for your position.

No, I know. I don't think a 1RM on bench is particularly useful for gauging what kind of football player you'll be, but neither do I think 225 for max reps is.

Maybe throw 315 on the bar, make them bench it for three reps, rest for 20-30 seconds, lift it back off, hit another three reps, then repeat until the prospect can no longer hit three with it. The vital stat would be the number of sets completed. Obviously, 315 is just an arbitrary weight I picked, but something like this seems like it would be a better test of strength and the type of endurance you mentioned is necessary in football.

I can put up 225 for quite a few reps if I do it early in my workout, but I tend to die quickly on chest, so I'm guessing the set count in my proposed test wouldn't be quite as impressive.

What do you think? Maybe I'll call the NFL offices and offer to sell the rights to my test. Of course, this is all predicated on the notion that the NFL would like to continue to use bench press at the combine. Obviously, there are far more relavent lifts, as you mentioned.

saaavage said:
excellent job bas fan!!

on finding the links?
wasnt too hard...i was suprised i couldnt find the Nebraska record page cause they used to have one. Nebraska has one of the ebst S&C programs in the entire country. Husker Power is serious business.

Just remember mang, football programs the country over are notorious for the hideous form in which they allow their athletes to perform exercises.

So much so that the lifts even have their own names. If I tell somebody I saw a guy doing "football squats" it means I saw a guy doing 3/4 squats. Prison/Football benches are the same thing, and involve using your sternum as a platform to rebound off of, and lifting your ass nine inches off the bench.

CarnalSalvation said:
Just remember mang, football programs the country over are notorious for the hideous form in which they allow their athletes to perform exercises.

So much so that the lifts even have their own names. If I tell somebody I saw a guy doing "football squats" it means I saw a guy doing 3/4 squats. Prison/Football benches are the same thing, and involve using your sternum as a platform to rebound off of, and lifting your ass nine inches off the bench.

I have never encountered this but in S&C coaches defense, its hard to go and correct the form of 50 atheletes. I know its their job but they just dont have they type of time. Especially when you add drills and scrimigaes to the equation.
My S&C coach was a stickler for form and squat depth and bench tempo. He made sure we did the 4-2-1 tempo.

Back