1908 Jack Johnson became the 1st black HW boxing champion 08 Barack 1st black pres.?

DownRightFierce

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
In 1908 Jack Johnson became the first black HW boxing champion , a 100 years later Barrack will possibly be the first black president

and you got to remember in 1908 being the HW boxing champion was like being the president of the united states...pretty crazy remember where u heard it first.....here is a great documentry on jack johnson..you really got to know his story before you know the joe louis story or even jackie robinson story

YouTube - Jack Johnson: The Unforgivable Blackness 1 Part 1/15

Too bad Barack won't be president until 2009.

It's because he's on colored people's time *shrug*

shucks than 1 year off.... here I thought it was an insightful thought and connection on my part...does it totally negate the relationship between the 2 tho? will he be elected in 2008 and not take office till 2009 or....?

god, screw Ali's story. This guy got the real screw job. He even asked to join the army and they wouldn't let him. Nothing this guy did was OK.

god, screw Ali's story. This guy got the real screw job. He even asked to join the army and they wouldn't let him. Nothing this guy did was OK.
well when he lost willlard most of america was happy,thats the only hw champ I woulent want to be.a shame he went thru bs his entire career.
BUT he made it worse for himself because he was like "were da white women at'

Obama isn't a natural hw, though. I think he fights lhw.

i agree...i never knew he tried to join the army good info thanks bro

I don't know why they didn't let him either. A good way to ge tthe title vacated is to get the guy shot.

He was ashit disturber, but like you have to give the guy his due. He only wanted what he deserved. He never came off as preachy as Ali or anything. I always thought he was more so a guy just trying to survive.

Love it when he hit on chicks in the crowd while clinching with guys, lol.

In 1908 Jack Johnson became the first black HW boxing champion , a 100 years later Barrack will possibly be the first black president

and you got to remember in 1908 being the HW boxing champion was like being the president of the united states...pretty crazy remember where u heard it first.....here is a great documentry on jack johnson..you really got to know his story before you know the joe louis story or even jackie robinson story

YouTube - Jack Johnson: The Unforgivable Blackness 1 Part 1/15

I don't think this is really that insightful.

Not sure how or why politics and race got brought into this, but...

Jack Johnson---yay!

Barry Obama---Boo!

Not covered in this (award winning) bio, but in preparing to be interviewed by reporters Jack would, before they arrived, routinely wrap layers of gauze around his reportedly huge cock, to make it look even bigger, then he

Good post, Kid, but some racists allowed a few credits on the ebony side of the ledger......

It may be quite true that some negroes are better than some white men; but no rational man, cognisant of the facts, believes that the average negro is the equal, still less the superior, of the average white man. And, if this be true, it is simply incredible that, when all his disabilities are removed, and our prognathous relative has a fair field and no favour, as well as no oppressor, he will be able to compete successfully with his bigger-brained and smaller-jawed rival, in a contest which is to be carried on by thoughts and not by bites. The highest places in the hierarchy of civilisation will assuredly not be within the reach of our dusky cousins, though it is by no means necessary that they should be restricted to the lowest.

Thomas Huxley
Lay Sermons, Addresses, and Reviews

Comparing them by their faculties of memory, reason, and imagination, it appears to me, that in memory they are equal to the whites; in reason much inferior, as I think one [black] could scarcely be found capable of tracing and comprehending the investigations of Euclid; and that in imagination they are dull, tasteless, and anomalous. It would be unfair to follow them to Africa for this investigation. We will consider them here, on the same stage with the whites, and where the facts are not apocryphal on which a judgment is to be formed. It will be right to make great allowances for the difference of condition, of education, of conversation, of the sphere in which they move. Many millions of them have been brought to, and born in America. Most of them indeed have been confined to tillage, to their own homes, and their own society: yet many have been so situated, that they might have availed themselves of the conversation of their masters; many have been brought up to the handicraft arts, and from that circumstance have always been associated with the whites. Some have been liberally educated, and all have lived in countries where the arts and sciences are cultivated to a considerable degree, and have had before their eyes samples of the best works from abroad. The Indians, with no advantages of this kind, will often carve figures on their pipes not destitute of design and merit. They will crayon out an animal, a plant, or a country, so as to prove the existence of a germ in their minds which only wants cultivation. They astonish you with strokes of the most sublime oratory; such as prove their reason and sentiment strong, their imagination glowing and elevated. But never yet could I find that a black had uttered a thought above the level of plain narration; never see even an elementary trait of painting or sculpture. In music they are more generally gifted than the whites with accurate ears for tune and time . . . . Whether they will be equal to the composition of a more extensive run of melody, or of complicated harmony, is yet to be proved. Misery is often the parent of the most affecting touches in poetry.

Good post, Kid, but some racists allowed a few credits on the ebony side of the ledger......

It may be quite true that some negroes are better than some white men; but no rational man, cognisant of the facts, believes that the average negro is the equal, still less the superior, of the average white man. And, if this be true, it is simply incredible that, when all his disabilities are removed, and our prognathous relative has a fair field and no favour, as well as no oppressor, he will be able to compete successfully with his bigger-brained and smaller-jawed rival, in a contest which is to be carried on by thoughts and not by bites. The highest places in the hierarchy of civilisation will assuredly not be within the reach of our dusky cousins, though it is by no means necessary that they should be restricted to the lowest.

Thomas Huxley
Lay Sermons, Addresses, and Reviews

Comparing them by their faculties of memory, reason, and imagination, it appears to me, that in memory they are equal to the whites; in reason much inferior, as I think one [black] could scarcely be found capable of tracing and comprehending the investigations of Euclid; and that in imagination they are dull, tasteless, and anomalous. It would be unfair to follow them to Africa for this investigation. We will consider them here, on the same stage with the whites, and where the facts are not apocryphal on which a judgment is to be formed. It will be right to make great allowances for the difference of condition, of education, of conversation, of the sphere in which they move. Many millions of them have been brought to, and born in America. Most of them indeed have been confined to tillage, to their own homes, and their own society: yet many have been so situated, that they might have availed themselves of the conversation of their masters; many have been brought up to the handicraft arts, and from that circumstance have always been associated with the whites. Some have been liberally educated, and all have lived in countries where the arts and sciences are cultivated to a considerable degree, and have had before their eyes samples of the best works from abroad. The Indians, with no advantages of this kind, will often carve figures on their pipes not destitute of design and merit. They will crayon out an animal, a plant, or a country, so as to prove the existence of a germ in their minds which only wants cultivation. They astonish you with strokes of the most sublime oratory; such as prove their reason and sentiment strong, their imagination glowing and elevated. But never yet could I find that a black had uttered a thought above the level of plain narration; never see even an elementary trait of painting or sculpture. In music they are more generally gifted than the whites with accurate ears for tune and time . . . . Whether they will be equal to the composition of a more extensive run of melody, or of complicated harmony, is yet to be proved. Misery is often the parent of the most affecting touches in poetry.

It's a fucking shame that the first thing showing on a search for Jack Johnson images is that douchebag singer, anyway:

300px-Johnson_jeff.jpg

johnson_jeffries_boxing_fullsize.jpg

Back