18 years later FF: Spirits Within looks pretty good

Headkicktoleg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The movie came out in 2001. It was state of the art graphics at time and today it looks slightly better than gameplay graphics of a ps4 or PC game. I'm actually really surprised. I thought the movie would be laughable, but it ain't too shabby!

I actually had a huge poster of that hot chick wearing a bikini on my bedroom wall back in the day.
The movie was a huge disappointment though.

the other Final Fantasy movie was better the one with Tifa hehehe. This one was a bland pc. of shit, if you didnt even tack the Final Fantasy name it would be a generic CGI film.

It's hard to tell that it has anything to do with FF... but I was super excited for it to come out at the time.

I came out of the movie theater raging like a maniac. I had been so looking forward to this movie and then they dropped this shit...

The most disappointed movie I have ever watched...

I came out of the movie theater raging like a maniac. I had been so looking forward to this movie and then they dropped this shit...

Without a doubt this movie sits at the top of my all time disappointment list. I was sitting in the theater with my friends thinking where's the fantasy? what is this ghost shit? Visuals were top notch and the the acting wasn't bad but what a blah movie.

That movie sucked and had nothing to do with Final Fantasy. Advent Children still looks good though and although it was a mediocre movie at least it felt like Final Fantasy and is still watchable today.

I think this remains the best movie adapted from a videogame ever made. I hated it the first time I watched it, but it grew on me when I went back and gave it another chance. It isn't great, but it was definitely underrated.

Of course, nothing beats the first half hour of the original Resident Evil. If that film could have maintained that quality throughout it would have become an all-time classic of the horror genre. But instead it instantly went potato, and never went back.

No, I don't think Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, or Silent Hill belong in this discussion. As if it matters. An interactive viewing of a straightforward playthrough of the The Last of Us compared to any of these is like comparing The Godfather to Corky Romano.
The movie came out in 2001. It was state of the art graphics at time and today it looks slightly better than gameplay graphics of a ps4 or PC game. I'm actually really surprised. I thought the movie would be laughable, but it ain't too shabby!
20% of production time and something like $10 million of its $137 million budget went towards technological development and rendering of the main character's hair (I recall reports quoting something like 1/4-1/3 of the special effects budget was spent on the hair alone). Of course, a dozen years later, with the development of Hairworks & TressX, we became capable of rendering nearly as realistic hair with our home PCs in real-time. So the new and improved Lara Croft owes her looks in some part to Aki.

https://cmsw.mit.edu/mit2/Abstracts/JanePark.pdf
Often cited to demonstrate the meticulous craftsmanship of the computer 9 animation in Final Fantasy was the fact that the 60,000 strands of Aki’s hair took twenty percent of the entire production time to create and render (Wilson par.14).
http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/column/index.cfm?columnID=13399
Video games company Square initially set up Square Pictures, a studio in Honolulu, Hawaii, back in 1997. The intention was to create a Final Fantasy movie, and other projects should it prove successful. Originally budgeted at $70 million, it spiralled out to $137 million. “We did end up spending more than what we planned,” said producer Aida, “but it’s not by any means a massive number compared to what other major studios have spent on similar features,” The Honolulu studio itself was believed to have used up $40 - $45 million of the budget.

A teaser trailer debuted about a year before the film opened, and during the run up to release the buzz was hot, with the unique selling point being the highly detailed, computer generated look. While Toy Story set the standard back in 1995 as the first entirely computer generated feature film, this was the first go with humans as lead characters. The photo realistic detail was so amazing that if you didn't know this was computer generated you could almost mistake some (mostly close up) scenes for the real thing. There was even a scare as a small band of actors become worried that “computer actors” could replace them. The creators boasted about the CGI effects and the 60,000 strands of hair on their main character Aki Ross, who for a fictional character even managed the bizarre feat of making it into Maxim’s top 100 in 2001.

History of computer animation (CGI)

aki-maxim-final-fantasythe-spirits-within.jpg

Last edited:
For its time, it was a breathtakingly gorgeous movie, and it still holds up.

The problem for it was the 'Final Fantasy' label. Critics slammed it because it because they thought it was based on a videogame, and fans of the video game series hated it because it wasn't based on any of them.

If it was marketed as a Science Fiction movie, simply titled 'The Spirits Within,' it would have been far better received by general audiences. They should have made the CGI, Japanese influence, and stellar voice-cast the focal points of the marketing.

I'm probably the only person that considers this their favorite movie of 2001. Its not the 'best' movie of that year, but the movie I enjoyed watching the most.

It was 'Dredd' before 'Dredd' was 'Dredd.' An awesome movie that was horribly marketed, hated by critics, ignored by general audiences, and flopped hard at the box office.

Sadly, it seems that kind of CGI animation is only made for cheap videogame movies now. I think they made a few based on Resident Evil and Final Fantasy in the last 10 years and release alongside a few shitty games.

Such a shame.

I always thought that animation would have been perfect for Star Wars.

That movie sucked and had nothing to do with Final Fantasy. Advent Children still looks good though and although it was a mediocre movie at least it felt like Final Fantasy and is still watchable today.

Finally got round to watching the "complete" version of Advent Children a couple of weeks ago, flows a lot better than the original cut.

was really a snooze fest, and I was super excited also because it was hyped especially for rpg fans, I remember they even had an article in time or newsweek were they spoke about the graphics farm they made in an underground facility with so many servers just to make the graphics needed, and how realistic the eyes, hair etc were for the characters. Then the film dropped zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

I got curious about those 60,000 strands of hair since I remember that dominated nearly everything I read at the time:
https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-graphics-and-performance-guide
PureHair

PureHair is Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix's hair rendering technology, which like our own HairWorks technique adds tens of thousands of hair strands to a character model. These hairs move realistically, can be affected by wind and water, and are lit and shaded in real-time by the scene.

In Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the 'Normal' setting is recommended for just about everyone, as 'Low' strips back the number of hairs for min-spec users who need to disable and turn down as many settings as possible.

In the normal gameplay position, with Lara away from the camera, the difference between detail levels is far less noticeable, though as Lara walks, runs and jumps, the degree of hair movement and its realism are still affected.

In cinematic, story-driven cutscenes, however, the differences between detail levels are immediately apparent, as Lara almost-always takes key billing, with lots of close-ups and action moves highlighting the immersion-damaging loss of hairs.

Performance: As with other hair rendering technologies, dynamic level of detail scaling adjusts the visual quality and performance of hair on the fly. During gameplay, in the default zoomed-out view, expect a minimal performance cost of just 2-3 frames per second, versus Low, though that number raises to 5 or 6 frames per second when you zoom in for precision sniping or shooting.

In cutscenes, the performance cost can be up to 10 frames per second, but as performance is often higher during these moments the extra hit is offset and shouldn't be a problem for most systems.
Kind of crazy how much Aki and reboot Lara look alike, isn't it?

shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-purehair-004-normal-640px.jpg

d140cf6a2236b38d4b8d907e5c62a40a.jpg

I think this remains the best movie adapted from a videogame ever made.

{<huh}

There is NOTHING in this movie that reminds of you Final Fantasy... Where are the Chocobos and Moogles? The over the top action? The magic, the weapons, the summons of guardians or spirits to attack/defend the summoner? Things that carry from one Fantasy Fantasy game to the next one? None of this made it into the film.

Let any Final Fantasy gamer watch this movie without knowing its title or history and they would have never guessed in a bazillion years that this movie was adapted from Final Fantasy.

It is the worst adaptation of a video game ever....

Last edited:
{<huh}

There is NOTHING in this movie that reminds of you Final Fantasy... Where are the Chocobos and Moogles? The over the top action? The magic, the weapons, the summons of guardians or spirits to attack/defend the summoner? Things that carry from one Fantasy Fantasy game to the next one? None of this made it into the film.

Let any Final Fantasy gamer watch this movie without knowing its title or history and they would have never guessed in a bazillion years that this movie was adapted from Final Fantasy.

It is the worst adaptation of a video game ever....
Yeah, that's been covered, and it was one of the reasons even I left the theater annoyed (though I wasn't a Final Fantasy gamer in my youth, I was familiar with their stories from my friends growing up...I didn't play those things until the Android ports starting about 8 years ago, and only have three completed under my belt). Still, part of Final Fantasy is the fact each is really its own fantasy. I forgave the movie for the lack of anything resembling RPGs and gaming when I went back and watched it again a decade later. Suddenly I found myself siding with Ebert:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/final-fantasy-the-spirits-within-2001

Also, don't get carried away with the outrage over your disappointment. Distance yourself, come back, and just watch it as a movie. Saying a movie is the best ever adapted from a videogame is like complimenting someone on their dinner by telling them it was the best bowl of chicken shit you ever ate. There is no chicken salad in this genre. It's the weakest subgenre that has ever existed. On IMDb:

• [6.9] Warcraft
  • [6.8] Pokémon Detective Pikachu
  • [6.7] Resident Evil
  • [6.6] Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • [6.6] Silent Hill
  • [6.5] Need for Speed
  • [6.4] Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
  • [6.3] Hitman
  • [6.3] Tomb Raider
  • [6.3] Resident Evil: Extinction
  • [6.2] Resident Evil: Apocalypse
  • [6.1] Rampage
  • [5.9] Resident Evil: Afterlife
  • [5.8] Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • [5.8] Assassin's Creed
  • [5.8] Mortal Kombat
  • [5.7] Hitman: Agent 47
  • [5.6] Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
  • [5.4] Max Payne
  • [5.4] Resident Evil: Retribution
  • [5.2] DOOM
  • [5.0] Silent Hill: Revelation
  • [4.8] Tekken
  • [4.8] DOA: Dead or Alive
  • [4.5] Postal
  • [4.2] Wind Commander
  • [4.0] Super Mario Bros.
  • [3.8] In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
  • [3.7] Double Dragon
  • [3.7] Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
  • [3.7] Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li
  • [3.4] Street Fighter
  • [3.1] Far Cry
  • [2.9] Bloodrayne
  • [2.3] Alone in the Dark
  • [2.0] House of the Dead

I mean, let's be real, Van Damme made Street Fighter twice. He did the premise better, and more faithfully, two years later minus all the international cartel BS involving Bison that nobody cared about. Not associating the videogame magically focused the film's narrative on what mattered.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117420/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_51
MV5BMWIyYjMxZTMtZGUyNy00N2UwLTgwNjctOWQ1OGMzN2VlMDExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc2NjEyMw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

The Sonic trailers don't look primed to break the trend. All our eggs are in Uncharted's basket.

I can't even remember this movie so I guess it was just ok. I know I did finish it. I actually thought the movie they made to watch before Final Fantasy XV was pretty good. Unfortunately the game didn't get me.

I think this remains the best movie adapted from a videogame ever made. I hated it the first time I watched it, but it grew on me when I went back and gave it another chance. It isn't great, but it was definitely underrated.

Of course, nothing beats the first half hour of the original Resident Evil. If that film could have maintained that quality throughout it would have become an all-time classic of the horror genre. But instead it instantly went potato, and never went back.

No, I don't think Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, or Silent Hill belong in this discussion. As if it matters. An interactive viewing of a straightforward playthrough of the The Last of Us compared to any of these is like comparing The Godfather to Corky Romano.

20% of production time and something like $10 million of its $137 million budget went towards technological development and rendering of the main character's hair (I recall reports quoting something like 1/4-1/3 of the special effects budget was spent on the hair alone). Of course, a dozen years later, with the development of Hairworks & TressX, we became capable of rendering nearly as realistic hair with our home PCs in real-time. So the new and improved Lara Croft owes her looks in some part to Aki.

https://cmsw.mit.edu/mit2/Abstracts/JanePark.pdf

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/column/index.cfm?columnID=13399

History of computer animation (CGI)

aki-maxim-final-fantasythe-spirits-within.jpg

Are you saying that you think it’s the best simply on the basis as a stand alone movie? Like if none of the games existed, only the movies, it would be the best? If that’s what you’re saying then your position has merit. But as an adaptation it barely even fair to call it that. Best adaptation has to go to Mortal Kombat 1, Resident Evil 1 or Silent Hill 1.

I remember it being cutting-edge at the time. People would have been a lot kinder towards it if the plot and dialogue were up to par with the visuals.

Back