18 million views on Ronda's fight so far

I don't think it goes under 700k. I don't know what the ceiling is because I've never seen something with so much interest while being held outside the U.S. but people saying this is going to do 500k need to pay attention a bit more.

I didn't think it would do what her last fight did, but I can see that it most likely will.
That is amazing IMO

Good for her. I might not be a big fan, but she certainly works her ass off & deserves every bit of this success

Are you claiming that not a single solitary soul bought the ppv to see nog/shogun or struve or big nog or bigfoot or either of the tuf finales?

Seems like a big fucking presumption despite all your other statisticsing

When looking at the PPV numbers, non-headline fights are close to meaningless. The UFC can easily mix and match them. Struve/Big Nog could've been replaced by any of a dozen other fights and the PPV numbers would've been just as high - or as close to it that no one would notice.

Sports is star-driven. I love watching the San Antonio Spurs play basketball, but teams like that just don't drive the ratings. And in MMA, PPVs are driven by stars (Lesnar, GSP, BJ Penn in his heyday, Anderson Silva, Nate Diaz, etc.), not good undercards.

Good cards matter to true fight fans, but true fight fans aren't the variable driving the differences in PPV numbers.

I wasn't paying you any attention, but now I see the humor in you
:p

Good. Then I have a gift for you:

cats-animals-kittens-background.jpg

I don't see how it's possible to have so much interest in a fight for it not to translate to PPV buys on some level and not do well north of 500k. It's not just from web traffic but from even from every indicator i've seen. I've read mutiple accounts of people saying bars are packed to watch it unlike other UFC fights and even I've personally heard mutiple accounts of people being asked about this fight more than just about any other UFC fight they can remember in years. I don't see how all of this interest translates to 500k-600k ppv buys at the end of the day.

Social media stats and sports bar anecdotes aren't good indicators. Someone got an early glimpse of the prelim numbers for UFC 189 and thought the main card PPVs would be something of a disappointment, for example. We now know better.

Wait for the numbers.

And you were the one to say Ronda's "stock" had gone up dramatically in the last seven months, so you own that analogy, not me.

For that reason, I'd be surprised if last night's fight did better than 650,000, and I'd be shocked if it cleared 750K.

Still a damn good figure, but she's not the top draw in the UFC, and there are three or four retired fighters who could come out and do better than that.

Lol. If this Brazil card sold + 650k then it sure as hell would mean Ronda is the top draw in the UFC. The record for a Brazil card is 410k (Silva vs Bonnar).

The fact that UFC 184 sold 590k should already tell you Ronda is UFCs biggest draw. There are no other fighter in the UFC (except maybe Conor today) who could have pulled 590k with that kind of card. Ronda sold on her own almost as much as Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz combined, for god sakes.

Lol. If this Brazil card sold + 650k then it sure as hell would mean Ronda is the top draw in the UFC. The record for a Brazil card is 410k (Silva vs Bonnar).

The fact that UFC 184 sold 590k should already tell you Ronda is UFCs biggest draw. There are no other fighter in the UFC (except maybe Conor today) who could have pulled 590k with that kind of card. Ronda sold on her own almost as much as Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz combined, for god sakes.

Not everyone fights in Brazil, you moron, and almost all of the big fights are held in Vegas.

There have been a grand total of only 23 UFC events put on in Brazil. That's less than one-tenth the number held in the U.S. (237) and barely above Canada's number (18).

And, yes, Ronda's a very good draw. But she's not a great one.

Lol at social media being a gauge on how many ppv 's were bought. Women are social media whores and therefore someone such as Ronda who has the attention of so many women, will get a bunch of social media action. Guys hardly ever get online and post on social media sites. This fight was no doubt big for her, prolly around the. 500k range. Fact is the type of people who watched the fight last night were at bars watching it. The bar I was at was packed with chicks watching the fights. I usually never see that many women watchin the fights. Anyways who cares, anyone who would buy a ppv with her headlining is a complete moron at this point. The fights are not entertaining nor are they a good showcase of quality skill.

Not everyone fights in Brazil, you moron, and almost all of the big fights are held in Vegas.

There have been a grand total of only 23 UFC events put on in Brazil. That's less than one-tenth the number held in the U.S. (237) and barely above Canada's number (18)

I just reminded you that Anderson Silva holds the Brazil card record with 410k, douche bag, and that was after Sonnen 1 & 2, which made Silva a huge PPV draw. And now you say that even if Ronda sells +650k with a Brazil card and chrushes Silva`s record that doesnt mean she is currently UFC`s biggest draw (possibly along with Conor)? LMFAO.

I just reminded you that Anderson Silva holds the Brazil card record with 410k, douche bag, and that was after Sonnen 1 & 2, which made Silva a huge PPV draw. And now you say that even if Ronda sells +650k with a Brazil card and chrushes Silva`s record that doesnt mean she is currently UFC`s biggest draw (possibly along with Conor)? LMFAO.

Glad to see another person in this thread is just laughing off this dopes personal attacks.

He is pretty amusing though :icon_twis

Social media stats and sports bar anecdotes aren't good indicators. Someone got an early glimpse of the prelim numbers for UFC 189 and thought the main card PPVs would be something of a disappointment, for example. We now know better.

I agree you can't use them accurately and this is a wild card scenario because there is no history associated with it since it's new ground but again not to sound like a broken record, the sheer interest alone is much higher than I have ever seen for a 500k PPV......MUCH higher. This isn't just me. I'm literally reading Metlzer's twitter now and it's hilarious it's exactly what I was saying earlier

‏@davemeltzerWON Think the numbers tonight are going to be surprisingly high.

@norifumi much of a drop off in buys with it being in Brazil?

@davemeltzerWON In theory there should be, but I know too many people who never watch UFC that are watching tonight.

And you were the one to say Ronda's "stock" had gone up dramatically in the last seven months, so you own that analogy, not me.

I was using slang. I didn't literally mean Ronda Rousey was a stock where you could buy and sell her shares in a stock exchange.

I just reminded you that Anderson Silva holds the Brazil card record with 410k, douche bag, and that was after Sonnen 1 & 2, which made Silva a huge PPV draw.

Yes, but only when fighting vastly inferior opponents like Stephan Bonnar or no-names to the American public like Yushin Okami.

Did you pay attention to where Dana held the Silva/Belfort event? No, of course not. It didn't seem to occur to you to be strange to hold a title fight featuring two well-known Brazilians in Las Vegas.

When Silva fought his *real* fights, Dana was always careful to keep him in Vegas or at least the United States. When Silva had a fight against someone no one really cared about, he liberally sprinkled them anywhere.

And now you say that even if Ronda sells +650k with a Brazil card and chrushes Silva`s record that doesnt mean she is currently UFC`s biggest draw? LMFAO.

Well, I doubt she will reach 650K, so you're counting your chickens before they hatch, which I find to be typical of teenage boys with strong masturbation fantasies.

As of now, Ronda averages around 500K a fight and is trending upward.

Couldn't agree more her competition is low low level it's easy to be good against girls with little to no skill

It's also easy to be the best against men with little to no skill. But it's not easy to dominate everyone at your weight class, regardless of how deep the division is.

IF you took a bunch of 3 year old boys with no training or exposure to fighting and made them all fight each other, and one of them beat all the rest in the first round, would you not be impressed?

Ronda is a 135lb. girl, crushing all the other 135lb girls. If you don't think that's impressive then try and become the best male seamstress in the world. Or the best male cook, dancer, gymnast or something else that is mainly done by women. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Did you pay attention to where Dana held the Silva/Belfort event? No, of course not. It didn't seem to occur to you to be strange to hold a title fight featuring two well-known Brazilians in Las Vegas.

To be fair the UFC wasn't holding events in Brazil at all when they booked Silva/Belfort. UFC Rio was being held in the second half of 2011 no matter what. I agree the UFC does like Vegas for it's major events but using Silva/Belfort as an example isn't valid because UFC wasn't operating in Brazil at the time.

Gina Carano was trending to become just as popular as Ronda Rousey because she's a sexy American female who's mediocre at fighting, before she got KTFO.

Dana won't make the same mistake with Rousey. He'll protect her like a father protects his daughter with Disney movies.

Yes, but only when fighting vastly inferior opponents like Stephan Bonnar or no-names to the American public like Yushin Okami.

Oh really, and who was Ronda`s opponent again last night? :redface:

Like 10 of the top threads on Reddit right now are about Honda

Yeah, a lot of people are talking about her, not even fight fans asking if she is good

But I'm telling them no, her competition is equivalent of a 15 year old boy picking a fight with a 10 year old girl
So she's light years ahead of the rest of her division, but she's not good? Interesting viewpoint, no matter how absurd.

Gina Carano was trending to become just as popular as Ronda Rousey because she's a sexy American female who's mediocre at fighting, before she got KTFO.

Dana won't make the same mistake with Rousey. He'll protect her like a father protects his daughter with Disney movies.

How has she been 'protected'???

A lot of people watch Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus videos as well, and i'd say Ronda fits in with that pop culture media frenzy. Her popularity isn't a reflection on her athleticism. It's a reflection on her being a "woman pioneer" in a man's sport where her vastly overrated skill set is glorified due to an extremely shallow competition pool. Truth.

Oh really, and who was Ronda`s opponent again last night? :redface:

Ronda Rousey *is* WMMA. Not a single other female fighter registers with the public, not since Gina Carano retired.

That has never been true of men's MMA. Even back when the UFC first started, and Royce Gracie became the face of MMA, Ken Shamrock also quickly developed an enormous fanbase.

Back