Rewatch 16 years since Fedor-Sylvia

I was at a Buffalo wild wings. Watching that and the ufc counter card with Anderson vs Irvin. Fun times man fun times.

They promoted the affliction ppv at the restaurant, so it seemed even bigger than the event was.

M-1 global and Jerry millen definitely sent their lil crew nationwide

Last edited:
I mean, that's usually what happens to ex-UFC champs when they fall off, they get sent off to other orgs and get fed to their big names lol. Arlovski was giving him the business too.
And arlovski and big Tim left for money. Not that he was cut. Same with werdum. Dana just likes to make it seem that they weren't good enough for ufc

I mean, that's usually what happens to ex-UFC champs when they fall off, they get sent off to other orgs and get fed to their big names lol. Arlovski was giving him the business too.
Neither Arlovksi or Sylvia left because they fell off. Arlovski was the #2 ranked HW in the world at the time. Sylvia had just fought for the UFC Interim belt. Sylvia left because he could get out of his contract and Affliction was going to pay him 800K.

And arlovski and big Tim left for money. Not that he was cut. Same with werdum. Dana just likes to make it seem that they weren't good enough for ufc
Arlovski maybe. Tim was probably never going to fight for a title in the UFC again and I don't think they cared to re-sign him. Don't forget his next fight after Fedor was getting KO'd by a 50 year old boxer lmao. Arlovski still looked pretty good so he had a lot of bargaining power and was only making like 200k at a time when Affliction was willing to burn money to sign people and didn't tie them down to exclusive contracts IIRC.

I don't think the UFC was trying to keep either of them honestly.

Arlovski maybe. Tim was probably never going to fight for a title in the UFC again and I don't think they cared to re-sign him. Don't forget his next fight after Fedor was getting KO'd by a 50 year old boxer lmao. Arlovski still looked pretty good so he had a lot of bargaining power and was only making like 200k at a time when Affliction was willing to burn money to sign people and didn't tie them down to exclusive contracts IIRC.

I don't think the UFC was trying to keep either of them honestly.
Wrong.

They absolutley wanted to keep Arlovski.

In inteviews at the time, he expressed regret that he was leaving. You really think he wanted Arlovski, a former UFC champion, a well liked draw, to go over and lose gloriously to Fedor, the enemy??

I watched it from my home live as it happened. I thought holy shit that was quick, I almost thought it was a work. Where were you when it happened?

ebd0e492-dd3e-11ea-b1d3-42d340dc91a3_image_hires_080301.jpg

yellow tie is outrageous

Fedor is the heavyweight MMA GOAT. In his prime in PRIDE nobody could beat him. Arona was a beast, I think he came close, prime-for-prime there was nobody better.

I remember watching this live. I'm feel old. You guys need to take me back like old yeller at this point.

Sylvia is powerslapping fools these days.

This was a big win for fedor. He destroyed the heavyweights of his era

Crocop, Sylvia, arlovski, nog.
Barnett, Werdum missing. UFC first era or 1.5 era were just AA and big Tim. Coleam and Randleman were ancient and not complete.

Barnett, Werdum missing. UFC first era or 1.5 era were just AA and big Tim. Coleam and Randleman were ancient and not complete.
Can you really say Nog and Randleman were ancient when Fedor fought the with a straight face? We have videos.

Can you really say Nog and Randleman were ancient when Fedor fought the with a straight face?
Not Nog. Coleman was ancient in terms of the stage of mma. Randleman too. He was old school. Super atlhetic, great wrestler. That´s it. Todays MMA guys do it all bjj wrestling muay thai boxing. But Randleman was strong. Can´t compare it to the next gen like Cain and JDS. He was actually a LHW but Pride asked him to do HW. The next gen were good fighters too, trained all aspects to decent proficienty and were big guys. Overeem, Cain, JDS, Werdum or todays guys like Tom.
Pride was full of mismatches and we loved it. The real strong divison was LHW. Wand Shogun Rampage Arona Overeem Lil Nog. That was superb.

Pride was full of mismatches and we loved it. The real strong divison was LHW. Wand Shogun Rampage Arona Overeem Lil Nog. That was superb.

I agree with this. Sakuraba was the very best in that era too. Guy fought open weight and anyone.

Can you really say Nog and Randleman were ancient when Fedor fought the with a straight face? We have videos.
I wouldnt have said that, especially about Kev

but they were from an older generation than Fedor, Fedor was on the rise and expected to beat Coleman

But Kev on the other hand was coming off his first round KO of Mirko and literally anything was expected to happen in this fight.

I agree with this. Sakuraba was the very best in that era too. Guy fought open weight and anyone.
Not the best. One of the most legendary. But realistically he is a MW. Fighting LHWS HWs. He should try ot be MW champ. So basically who was MW champ. Bustamante ? I don´t even know there. Was Dan at MW ? Saku just fights everyone. Crazy weight differences, miss matches, freak shows were Prides trademark compared to the UFC.

Watched it on my computer in
I’m just saying it’s impressive that fedor racked up so many champions in his career
What does champs mean tho?
He just beat a bunch of guys who also won things in a division where most of the top guys seemed to shuffle

I’m more impressed he beat those larger men while really being a middle weight

I wouldnt have said that, especially about Kev

but they were from an older generation than Fedor, Fedor was on the rise and expected to beat Coleman

But Kev on the other hand was coming off his first round KO of Mirko and literally anything was expected to happen in this fight.
Kev looked good but but didn’t have many skills besides punching and wrestling.

Back