11.22.63 (Time-travel miniseries starring James Franco, from a Stephen King novel)

Great show. Read the book a couple years ago and might re-read.

Been hesitant to watch this show. The book was amazing and its rare a show or movie holds up.

But I've been hearing good things, so maybe I should give it a chance. Might wait till it's over though.

Been hesitant to watch this show. The book was amazing and its rare a show or movie holds up.

But I've been hearing good things, so maybe I should give it a chance. Might wait till it's over though.
It's over.

Last episode came out yesterday.

Overall, it was solid. I don't want to be that "BOOK IS BETTER" guy, but it definitely isn't close IMO. Most of the changes I didn't have a big problem with really, it just kinda felt like something was missing and was lost in translation from book to screen. Maybe it's just that Franco doesn't have the range to bring the character to life, I really can't put my finger on it. But it was still worth a watch for sure, and my wife who had not read the book really enjoyed it.

Like I've said before, it's not like Under the Dome which just fucking sucked from the start and took a huge shit on a good story. It was an adequate adaptation and I'm glad they did a mini series and didn't try to stretch it out past what it needed to be. It was entertaining just not something I'm likely to watch again when I have the book.

Oh didn't know it was over already. Hmmmm. Might have to check into it.

The 7th episode I felt was weak, but the last one was really great. I was expecting a somber ending, but I liked that it was positive.

The back and forth between Hosty and Jake was awesome.

Overall a really great show. I'll have to read the book eventually when I get into the reading mood.

it just kinda felt like something was missing and was lost in translation from book to screen. Maybe it's just that Franco doesn't have the range to bring the character to life, I really can'tmy finger on it.

I think it's because the book is told in first person. Jake carries the book in the way he tells the story. That's what really made the story great for me. First person also added a whole lot more depth to Jake's character and you get a lot of extra insights that aren't possible with a third person narrative.

Also, one of the reasons I loved the book so much was because Jake is so freakin' cool. Like little things he would say: "Hey Ozzy, I'm coming for you, you fuck" and "Life changes on a dime".

I feel like James played a more reserved Epping and the character's personality didn't really come through like it did in the book.

Been watching this over the weekend, I'm on episode 4 and I'm really enjoying it. I've not read the book which I'm sure helps my perception of the show.

Just started this. Ended up giving Hulu a try and after watching some Rick and Morty I figured I'd check this out. Episode 1 was pretty good. Time travel almost always draws me in.

Just finished. Very intriguing story for me. I love pretty much anything with time travel, especially when it interacts with real events. To make things even better, it was the JFK assassination, which I've always been intrigued by. I hope to visit Dealey Plaza one day.

I did enjoy it quite a bit, but it all seemed kind of pointless in the end. He sort of left things in worse shape before he went in initially. I'm not gonna go into much detail because this thread didn't seem to spark much conversation. Good show, especially if you're into the history of the JFK assassination.

7.8/10

Full Trailer for Stephen King's 11.22.63 Starring James Franco

11.22.63-James-Franco-Dragonlord.jpg

After a series of tantalizing teasers, Hulu has released the full official trailer for the event series 11.22.63, and it’s pretty great. Based on the novel of the same name by Stephen King, 11.22.63 revolves around a high school English teacher (James Franco) who goes back in time to prevent the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. His mission is complicated by Lee Harvey Oswald, his falling in love, and the past itself not wanting to be changed.

This full trailer does a fantastic job of setting up the premise in an eerily fascinating way and making the series seem wildly compelling. The Last King of Scotland director Kevin Macdonald helmed the show’s first episode, while Franco himself directs the eight-part series’ fifth installment. The first episode of 11.22.63 debuts on February 15th, President’s Day.

James Franco Is a Time Traveler in Excellent New ’11.22.63’ Trailer

This was a fantastic production all around, and one of the best on-screen interpretations of a Stephen King novel to date. It is still available on Hulu, and anyone who is a fan of Stephen King's work should definitely watch it if they haven't.

Just finished. Very intriguing story for me. I love pretty much anything with time travel, especially when it interacts with real events. To make things even better, it was the JFK assassination, which I've always been intrigued by. I hope to visit Dealey Plaza one day.

I did enjoy it quite a bit, but it all seemed kind of pointless in the end. He sort of left things in worse shape before he went in initially. I'm not gonna go into much detail because this thread didn't seem to spark much conversation. Good show, especially if you're into the history of the JFK assassination.

7.8/10

I don't think the end was pointless at all. It made a relevant point about time travel, that anything you could change in the past can have incalculable consequences in the future.

JFK's assassination was a tragedy, but thinking that saving his life in the past would create some type of utopia in the future is probably less realistic, and not the way you would expect a Stephen King story to end anyway. A twist at the end made it more entertaining.

This was a fantastic production all around, and one of the best on-screen interpretations of a Stephen King novel to date. It is still available on Hulu, and anyone who is a fan of Stephen King's work should definitely watch it if they haven't.

I don't think the end was pointless at all. It made a relevant point about time travel, that anything you could change in the past can have incalculable consequences in the future.

JFK's assassination was a tragedy, but thinking that saving his life in the past would create some type of utopia in the future is probably less realistic, and not the way you would expect a Stephen King story to end anyway. A twist at the end made it more entertaining.

Yeah I see what you're saying. It's just that for him to end up resetting things back to the way they were, in the moment, felt underwhelming. Looking back I have no issue with the ending. It did a great job at evoking emotion IMO.

What I learned from this show: Lee Harvey Oswald was a hero.

I mean, sounds funny but seriously lol. Anyways, I enjoyed this. I thought it started off stronger then it progressed (ex husband, amnesia, the end of Bill's storyline all were flaws imo) and Franco's acting was so bad at times (lmfao @ his acting in the blonde chick's death scene) but well worth a watch and a very enjoyable mini series. Despite the fall off in the later half a bit, I did really like the final episode and ending a lot.

What I learned from this show: Lee Harvey Oswald was a hero.

I mean, sounds funny but seriously lol. Anyways, I enjoyed this. I thought it started off stronger then it progressed (ex husband, amnesia, the end of Bill's storyline all were flaws imo) and Franco's acting was so bad at times (lmfao @ his acting in the blonde chick's death scene) but well worth a watch and a very enjoyable mini series. Despite the fall off in the later half a bit, I did really like the final episode and ending a lot.

There was not a minute of that show I didn't like. It kept me in suspense, and the ending was really good as you pointed out.

The show was pretty good. I think the book was better though.

Finally got around to watching this. What a great show. I'm ordering the book now, I definitely want to check it out

Back